Pelikan M1000 Nib Size -- Help Needed

arashdeepsinghmann

Hi Everyone,

Its been long time since I bought any new pen as I have been busy with other things that were going on in life. I pulled some of my fountain pens back from boxes and filled them to start using again. I want to buy a new fountain pen as I never forgot the feel of one that I tried couple year back in one old pen shop in Houston TX. I don't remember the size of the nib but it was on broader side. it was very smooth and very soft with springiness it was wonderful. It was wonderful experience to write with that. Now I want to have one of those but can't find any store in Dallas so I have to buy it from some store online. I wanted your expert advise on which nib size I should buy provided I like Fine to Medium nibs. If you can let me know which Pelikan M1000 nib size is similar to Fine of Montblanc 146 that will be great. I want a smooth wet and Fine (Montblanc 146 Fine Nib) nib.

I appreciate all your help in advance.

Thanks

---------------------

A.S.Mann

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arashdeepsinghmann

• Bo Bo Olson

• jmccarty3

• sargetalon

I find the M1000 nibs to be quite wet so I would propose and EF or F. I have only used M and BB so I cannot be more precise. Sorry.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I would also suggest EF or F to get the line that you desire. These are wet writers but a total joy to use.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

The M1000 is a great writer, but it's definitely wet. I find a Fine M1000 to be about equal to a Medium M800, so I'd agree with going with an EF or F nib (I've never used the EF).

If you do not like the EF...you can have them replace the nib with an F or M with in 5 weeks. The 1000 is a semi-flex nib.....how ever it is a modern 18K gold nib and can bend and stay bent.

Being semi-flex will make it easy to write wider than the EF if your hand is a tad heavy. It will write wet in it is semi-flex.

I chase vintage...which are a 1/2 a size narrower than modern.

I find my 600 BB a bit fat compared to vintage, where it can be written with and not just be used as a signature nib.

I made the mistake of when I bought my MB Woolf I used the pens shops paper, that gave me what I expected from a modern MB and M that wrote B fat. Exactly what I wanted. At home on better paper it wrote M.

I swapped in the nib and did not tell them I wanted it more the size of vintage B. I got a B that writes BB. A B I would use more than a BB..I have skinnier vintage BB's.

So if and when you swap your nib in insist it be in the middle of tolerance and not on the edges of tolerance.

Tolerance means you can get a Fat or Skinny M or F just as easy as one in the middle of tolerance. You can get horseshoe close and that's it. It also means a Skinny M can be exactly as wide as a Fat F. :unsure: And both nibs can be still with in tolerance.

Get the EF...it will write wetter being a semi-flex...if it's 'fat' it will be close to F.

If too skinny, swap it in on an F.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sounds to me that you'll be very happy with a Pelikan M1000 EF. There is one remaining pen store in Dallas, Paradise Pen in the Galleria, and they are an authorized Pelikan dealer.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

+1 on the EF size.

M1000 nibs seem to run wider than other Pelikan nibs, so going for the finest you can get seems sensible. And as Bo Bo says, you can always swap for a Fine if you find the EF is too fine for you after all.

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I appreciate it. wet writers is something we all want right so I am all happy that Pelicans are wet writer and want the one I buy to be the same. My concern is if EF is scratchy as I read reviews here that EF nibs of Pelicans to be scratchy so I was leaning towards F if that gives me a balance between smooth and fine lines. do you think that will be right way to go?

Thanks

---------------------

A.S.Mann

Any nib width can be scratchy if the tines are not aligned properly. My EFs, when aligned, have been smooth but that is just anecdotal observation.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I've yet to encounter a scratchy M1000 nib of any size. I wouldn't worry--if there is any problem with your nib, it can be repaired or exchanged.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

95% of scratchy is misaligned tines or, and or holding your fountain pen at near 90 degrees like a ball point.

Not at 45 degrees after the big index knuckle or at 40 degrees where the start of the web of the thumb is, or in heavy or long pens at 35 degrees in the pit of the web of your thumb.

Let the pen decide where it is comfortable to rest. Forcing it to be at 45 degrees leads to the 'Death Grip'. :unsure: And that leads to putting too much pressure on the nib.

Do hold your fountain pen like it is a featherless baby bird..... that helps give you a lighter Hand.

Don't make baby bird paste. :angry:

If your tine is misaligned, it's easy to fix at home....we all, well the majority of us have done it at home ourselves on one pen or another. It is easy to do. Takes up to a full minute :yikes: when one is new to it....4-8 seconds actually. :D We will worry about that later.

Sometimes one can bang a nib just a bit and knock it out of alignment.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you all. Yes nib alignment problem causes problem 99% of the time and YES well aligned and proper space in between tines make a pen smooth and wet writer. I have done a lot of work myself on Parker Sonnets , Duofolds and even on my Montblanc 149 Diamond. So I got somewhat experience on getting nib fixed at home with few tools I have collected over the time.

I love how early 90 (First Generation) of Parker Sonnet 18K Gold nibs in Fine size write and that is something I want from Pelikan. So if you all are saying a well aligned EF Pelikan M1000 nib will be closest than that is what I will buy. I want it to write like a charm :).

Thank you all for all your help.

---------------------

A.S.Mann