Recommend Me A Nib

Darkbulb

I just inked up my Esterbrook for the first time this week.

I really love the look and feel of this pen and everything seems to work really well mechanically.

But, I am less in love with the nib. It's a 9556 which according to an old chart I found is supposed to be "Fine, firm".

Me, I have found that I really want/need/love EX/Fine nibs - the one on my Parker 25 is so far, quite honestly, the only fountain pen nib I like and the only pen I use regularly. I love how it writes and both in terms of line width and wetness (or lack of it).

Having said that...I would of course like to USE some of my other pens...such as the Esterbrook J.

I attached some photos below that maybe can illustrate a bit about what I seek

(The paper is a Calepino notbook and the squares on the paper is about 5x5 mm).

Note: I know everyone is different about what type of nibs they like so the below is of course just my own personal preferences and by no means am I slamming wider/wetter nibs/pens - it's just a reflection of what I personally like/dislike.

First time I wrote with it...it was... "Ugh, it's just like the Parker 51 that I dislike so much"

http://i65.tinypic.com/n69e3b.jpg

So, I picked up my Parker 51 and 25 and did a one page of comparisons...

http://i66.tinypic.com/wa3td0.jpg

Based on the above is there a (9*** preferably) nib that would get me closer to the writing shown with the Parker 25?

Thanks and appreciate any input/suggestions

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Darkbulb

• Sandy1

• pajaro

• Runnin_Ute

Update:

I found two nibs at Anderson pens that I picked up and will see how they perform;
One 1555, and
One 9550
Shipped it came to about $23 which seemed fair for the two.
Now to figure out how to change nibs...but I hear that it's not all that hard to do.

I would have recommended the 9550. It's very, very fine, almost needle-point. To change the nib, you just unscrew one unit and screw in a new one. Truly, it's that simple. Hold the nib gently in your hand and twist. It'll come right out.

I would have recommended the 9550. It's very, very fine, almost needle-point. To change the nib, you just unscrew one unit and screw in a new one. Truly, it's that simple. Hold the nib gently in your hand and twist. It'll come right out.

Phew. Happy to hear you would had recommended the one I got :)

I found this writing sample online w/ the 9550 that looks like it could be just up my alley:

(Only bad thing is now I might try to track down that "Sailor F-8" nib...

post-11151-1205807005.jpg

Edited by Darkbulb

Don't use force to unscrew the nib assembly. You could have dried ink between the nib collar and the section, that is cementing the nib collar to the section. I use an USC to clean that dried ink out. If you don't have an USC, just soak the pen in water to just below the top edge of the section. Stir the pen every once in a while and dump and refill the water every few hours, so you can see the ink that is being dissolved. It may take a few days to dissolve out.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Don't use force to unscrew the nib assembly. You could have dried ink between the nib collar and the section, that is cementing the nib collar to the section. I use an USC to clean that dried ink out. If you don't have an USC, just soak the pen in water to just below the top edge of the section. Stir the pen every once in a while and dump and refill the water every few hours, so you can see the ink that is being dissolved. It may take a few days to dissolve out.

Thanks, I have pretty good hopes that it will come off rather easy as it was fully serviced before I got it and filled it up once.

We shall see :)

I was going to recommend either the 9550 or the 9450 - both very fine EF's. I have one of each. I also like my 1555 Gregg and Venus Fine. The latter may be the fattest of the four.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hello Darkbulb!

I have a 9550 and, for me, it's quite fine and writes nicely. There's a little bit of scratchiness, not much. I don't have a 9556, so I'm not sure how it compares to that one, hopefully it will give you what you're looking for.

You may want to look at a Pilot Penmanship, it won't help you with your Esterbrook but it has an extra fine nib and is quite inexpensive (also a little scratchy for me). If you like it, the nib can be switched into one of the other Pilot pens, the Pilot Metropolitan, Prera or 78G. I can recommend Jetpens and Jstationery, I've had good experiences with both (good prices and free shipping @ $25 or $20). There is also a Pilot Desk Pen with an ef nib (don't know if that nib can be transferred).

Edited by gzp

9555 is a Gregg extra fine. I like it and the 9550. I am just mentioning the 9555 in case you come across one cheap.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Received the two nibs from Anderson's pens this week and am really looking forward to trying them out.

"Unfortunately" I had just filled up the pen and I assume it has to be empty when I change out the nibs?

http://i67.tinypic.com/2v8h0n6.jpg

Doesn't have to be empty. Just hold the pen nib up and unscrew the nib (using a tissue to grasp it)...a little messier but definitely possible. After screwing in the new nib, and with the pen nib down, use the lever to expel a few drops of ink to fill the feed. Hope you like it.

Hi,

I dearly love my RED Estie J and the array of nibs that come to visit.

As such I've used them a fair bit in my Ink Reviews, so one can use the nib number as a searchword. e.g. 'FPN Sandy1 Review 1550' I apologise should you be offended by by my atrocious hand.

For the difference between the 9450 and the 9550, please refer to https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282704-esterbrook-9450-extra-fine-nib-tines/?p=3242066

When I know I need a very narrow nib at the office, the Estie J and one of the EF nibs is pressed into service. (My minions fear that its filled with Red ink, which is used to indicate outright/screwball/sloppy errors.)

For nib removal, Mr Richard Binder has this guide: http://www.richardspens.com/?info=nibswap

> Never torque the nib from the feed, and

> If the nib does not unscrew easily, it should be given a wee soak to loosen/dissolve any ink in the threads.

EDIT to add: To avoid the task of nib removal going pear-shaped, I proposed this method for Pelikans, but is relevant to Esties: @ Post № 7 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247577-removing-dry-ink-from-pelikan-800/?p=2702656

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the tip about changing the nib when the pen is still full - I'll be trying that out tomorrow :)

Dumb question: I notice that the nibs I received have plastic in different colors: one green and one black.

Was this intended to be matched with the color of the pen in question or is there some other logic to why they come in different colors? :)

The black is usually the 1xxx and 2xxx nibs. Green is for the 9xxx nibs. Red is 3xxx. Then, there's clear for the UK 2xxx nibs.

You do see where this is going, right? Must...have...more...nibs...

The black is usually the 1xxx and 2xxx nibs. Green is for the 9xxx nibs. Red is 3xxx. Then, there's clear for the UK 2xxx nibs.

You do see where this is going, right? Must...have...more...nibs...

Ah, thanks for explaining the colors :)

So yeah....if I like either of these two nibs tomorrow I might look to expand my 'nib collection' further. Hm..that does sound dangerous....

So yeah....if I like either of these two nibs tomorrow I might look to expand my 'nib collection' further. Hm..that does sound dangerous....

Dangerous, yes. You can get a lot of money tied up in this. There are also a lot of worse things you could do.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I also have a later nib without a number just marked "Broad" that's also clear plastic on the sleeve.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

It is and it isn't.

It's often cheaper in the long run to search for pens with the nibs you want, than to try and find the nibs alone. Especially when you get into the more esoteric ones....

That being said, I have gotten some nib units moderately inexpensively ($5-$10 US per), mostly on eBay (although I did pick up a 9555 a couple of summers ago at DCSS). The more exotic ones, though are another matter entirely: I now have two SJs with 9128 (flexible EF) nibs for less money each than I've seen just the nibs alone advertised for).

I'd love to try my husband out on one of the 8440 Superfine (Cartography) nibs.... Yeah, right -- I'd have a better time winning the lottery, and for less $$ in cash outlay. :yikes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It is and it isn't.

It's often cheaper in the long run to search for pens with the nibs you want, than to try and find the nibs alone. Especially when you get into the more esoteric ones....

That being said, I have gotten some nib units moderately inexpensively ($5-$10 US per), mostly on eBay (although I did pick up a 9555 a couple of summers ago at DCSS). The more exotic ones, though are another matter entirely: I now have two SJs with 9128 (flexible EF) nibs for less money each than I've seen just the nibs alone advertised for).

I'd love to try my husband out on one of the 8440 Superfine (Cartography) nibs.... Yeah, right -- I'd have a better time winning the lottery, and for less $$ in cash outlay. :yikes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi,

Would it be fair to say that your hubby is on course to become Superfine and knows his way around? :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.