mehandiratta

Well Thomas, I will have to Bookmark all this for future reference. Thank you. Great stuff.

Occasionally a Canadian pen enthusiast friend & I meet to look at, to write with & to talk about our pens. I prefer modern pens & my game is getting the best custom ground edged nib (Usually a stub or CI) from one of three renowned favourite nib-techs in the USA. So, I've got less pens in my stable but more nice nibs.

My good friend on the other hand enjoys buying mostly vintage pens, with nibs that are able to accommodate his left handed writing. It is he who's got me started on my present modern Kaweco Dia project. My friend showed me his first generation modern Gutberet Dia2, released just before my current Dia2 must have been.

I remember going over his pen with a strong magnifier. I was very impressed with the build quality of this relatively inexpensive mid/full size pen. Brass female threads inside the barrel, chromed metal male threads with an O-ring for the section, gear-cut four-start cap threads on the barrel, close tolerances, engraved writing on the cap filled in with contrasting paint, possible 14K nibs. (A bit disappointing, but now the "Kaweco Dia Germany" inscription seems to be only printed onto the cap's surface.)

What's surprising is that, I'd expect some of these details on a 750.00 CAD Nakaya Poccolo, but not on a 119.00 CAD Kaweco Dia2. (About 350.00 CAD with a custom 14K nib.)

There seemed to be an aura of quality & dependability about the Dia, a pen that could easily be my cartridge-only EDC pen.

This got me interested in Kaweco pens in general, even though my nib & feed experiences on two modern cartridge-only Sports models were less than positive.

During our informal pen meetings I was fortunate to be able to handle some fine vintage Kaweco pens that had excellent nibs & a great writing ability.

Thomas, I guess I know how to pick them. I could see that the (fat) pen's material may be celluloid & those chevron patters are beautiful, quite Deco (maybe, pre-war).

Are all the pens you've put before us in good working order? I would love to see writing samples with as many of these vintage Kawecos as you can. Others would enjoy it too.

Cheers, István

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• mehandiratta

• OMASsimo

• Azuniga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Istvan

Alas, I am not the "writing type". Like your friend I collect old fountainpens............ now for more than 26 years. There are some accumulated writing articles in shoe boxes, possibly they will go to a museum in the future. I will never have the time to make all the pens writing and I will never have the money to purchase any nib tuning. I only write with a Pelikan M250 and a Pelikan 140.

My goal is to learn more about fountain pens and how they had been made in the old times, I made some fp exhibitiones especially in primary schools, not to promote a trade mark but to show the kids the pleasure of writing with good fountainpens. (In Germany the use of fountain pens is obligate in schools since the 2rd or 3th degree. Yet.) Surely, I had never seen an auditorium listening to the historic stories more interested in and writing more careful but creative than these young pupils.

I do not have one of these modern Kaweco Sports and I actually own only one of these new Kaweco Students(?) I bought it more accidentally because nobody overbid my low bid at the bay. I think, a fountainpen must have a piston. I need this functional gimmick.

If you want to read a little bit more, try here. (Yes, sorry, these inputs are 10 years old and will have to be renovated...)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/14104-kaweco-history-part-1/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/14106-kaweco-history-part-2/

Kind Regards

Thomas

Thank you Thomas for the very informative links on Kaweco history. I would love to have been one of the students listening to your pen history presentations.

On a little different vein, I have been told that there has been collaboration between the present Kaweco's Mr. Gutberet & a Japanese manufacturer to produce sub-assemblies of some current Kaweco fountain pens (my Dia2 being one of them). Would you know if this is true?

I do not see any negative aspect in this, as the Japanese have had a long tradition of making quality fountain pens. Most of my few daily writing pens come from there.

Best, István

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I really like the liliput, but the lack of converter really disturbs me. Anyone knows if is it possible to mod it to Earthdawn's bulb filler?

Thank you Thomas for the very informative links on Kaweco history. I would love to have been one of the students listening to your pen history presentations.

On a little different vein, I have been told that there has been collaboration between the present Kaweco's Mr. Gutberet & a Japanese manufacturer to produce sub-assemblies of some current Kaweco fountain pens (my Dia2 being one of them). Would you know if this is true?

I do not see any negative aspect in this, as the Japanese have had a long tradition of making quality fountain pens. Most of my few daily writing pens come from there.

Best, István

Either Cult Pens has false info, or Kaweco does outsource something to Japan.

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CU46157/cult-pens-mini-fountain-pen-space-grey

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Best, István

Hi Istvan

I do not know about possibly foreign made parts exept the feed and the nib. But notwithstanding that I know Mr. Gutberlet very well I would not ask him about. Your input is right, there is no negative aspect in receiving foreign parts like plastics or clips. There are actually foreign industries who have better knowledge about the durability and long-lastingness of materials. But many people think that all in all had to be made in-house especially expensive fps. It is nothing than a feeling which is hardly to explain.

Kind Regards

Thomas

The thought for today was penned down via Kaweco Sports Skyline inked with Diamine Monaco Red. It is a beautiful mint coloured special edition pen and is now also available in India.

img_20160712_090449.jpg?w=1000

img_20160712_085130.jpg?w=1000

These pen are amazing value for money. And are especially suited for rough usage.

img_20160712_090518.jpg?w=1000

img_20160712_085717.jpg?w=1000

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I think I have four Kawecos, and here are two of them. The white one is a newer Sport from about six years ago. It was a rollerball when I got it but I replaced that section with a B nib when a vendor had them on closeout a few years back.

The black one is a 70s vintage piston filler, a V16 with F steel nib. The nib is what I suppose would be called semi-flex, or maybe just "springy."

28186186751_b81b3f9427_z.jpg

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I think I have four Kawecos, and here are two of them. The white one is a newer Sport from about six years ago. It was a rollerball when I got it but I replaced that section with a B nib when a vendor had them on closeout a few years back.

The black one is a 70s vintage piston filler, a V16 with F steel nib. The nib is what I suppose would be called semi-flex, or maybe just "springy."

28186186751_b81b3f9427_z.jpg

How has been ur experience with vintage one

vaibhav mehandiratta

How has been ur experience with vintage one

Very good! I'd been looking for a not-too-expensive vintage Sport when this one turned up in the classifieds a couple of years ago. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a gold nib, but then of course it wouldn't have been as reasonably priced as it was.

I enjoy using it for that hint of flex, but I will say that the nib isn't as smooth as I might like. As long as I write with a relatively light touch, I get along with it fine. There's no skipping or hard starting and ink flow from the feed is quite adequate. It holds a surprising amount of ink. The piston operates well and is smooth. It's pretty much the quintessential pocket pen in my mind.

I have it inked at present with a DeAtramentis grey; not sure what the name is. Unfortunately I haven't time to post a writing sample but I will at a later time, even though I'm not crazy about putting my less-than-great hand on display. ;-)

I thought Kaweco is one of the oldest pen brands from Germany and it needs the thread where people can show of their Kaweco instruments.

So hereby I request all to show us their Kawecos.

Would love to know a lot about vintage ones too.

I think you are a little over exposed

Very good! I'd been looking for a not-too-expensive vintage Sport when this one turned up in the classifieds a couple of years ago. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a gold nib, but then of course it wouldn't have been as reasonably priced as it was.

I enjoy using it for that hint of flex, but I will say that the nib isn't as smooth as I might like. As long as I write with a relatively light touch, I get along with it fine. There's no skipping or hard starting and ink flow from the feed is quite adequate. It holds a surprising amount of ink. The piston operates well and is smooth. It's pretty much the quintessential pocket pen in my mind.

I have it inked at present with a DeAtramentis grey; not sure what the name is. Unfortunately I haven't time to post a writing sample but I will at a later time, even though I'm not crazy about putting my less-than-great hand on display. ;-)

Thank you...

will wait for your writing sample...

vaibhav mehandiratta

As requested, here is a writing sample from my vintage Kaweco Sport.

28004376570_8c47ff836e_z.jpg

As requested, here is a writing sample from my vintage Kaweco Sport.

28004376570_8c47ff836e_z.jpg

Thank you

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 3 weeks later...

Couple more safety pens came my way.

In my view, A. Morton made one of the best nibs ever.

http://i.imgur.com/oh0c1yw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JrznUTt.jpg

these are just stunning....

vaibhav mehandiratta

The pen in rotation today is Kaweco Classic Sports – Burgundy which has a Broad nib and it is inked with KWZI IG Turquoise Ink. And the paper used is Tomoe River.

img_20160802_0805402.jpg?w=1000

img_20160802_0807121.jpg?w=1000

The pen is almost inked most of the times. This pen has replaced my Safari as an edc.

vaibhav mehandiratta

My collection keeps growing.

fpn_1470270873__kaweco_collection.jpg

Top to bottom:

• Sport (F), my first one
  • Skyliner (M)
  • v14s (F), a 1960s pen
  • Dia (OF), a 1930s pen
  • Dia2 ( B )
  • ALsport (BB)
Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Just got this Kaweco Diaphan? cleaned up. I'd like some information about it if anyone knows. I can't seem to find anything about it in Kaweco's documentation. I wonder if it came before or after the Dia and Dia2, or concurrently.

It has a 14k semi-flex nib, is a corked piston, has a brass rod holding the piston knob to the pen, has an amber/brown ink window and no guide for the clip. The feed appears to be ebonite. It measures about 5 3/8" capped, and 5" uncapped, and is rather fat, 13.6mm in diameter. Bought off of an auction, originally from Romania. Any info is appreciated.

post-41932-0-99781400-1470704553_thumb.jpg

post-41932-0-64860000-1470704574_thumb.jpg

post-41932-0-23066400-1470704622_thumb.jpg