Buying A Pelikan Souveran

lazzycoderr

I am planning to buy the Pelikan M1000 and M805 demonstrator and after running around a few international websites I find that cultpens has a competitive price.

But before buying them from international retailer wanted to know if there are any indian retailers that can get them for me. Excuse williampenn/makoba and the likes whose prices are really exorbitant. Shipping from a international retailer can incur a huge customs duty as well.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikhil5saraf

• mehandiratta

• lazzycoderr

• siamackz

You can try Ravi of Pens Point. He can get you an amazing deal however you will have to be patient.

Lastly as far as international retailer is concerned I recommend you to deal with fontoplumo.

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Googling "Pens point" takes me to

c1 first floor ,Ansal Plaza,, August Kranti Marg, Hudco Place, Andrews Ganj Extension, Andrews Ganj, New Delhi, Delhi 110049

Phone:097114 27616

Is this the vendor you are referring to?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Ajith

Edited by lazzycoderr

Googling "Pens point" takes me to

c1 first floor ,Ansal Plaza,, August Kranti Marg, Hudco Place, Andrews Ganj Extension, Andrews Ganj, New Delhi, Delhi 110049

Phone:097114 27616

Is this the vendor you are referring to?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Ajith

Yes

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 7 months later...

I am planning to buy the Pelikan M1000 and M805 demonstrator and after running around a few international websites I find that cultpens has a competitive price.

But before buying them from international retailer wanted to know if there are any indian retailers that can get them for me. Excuse williampenn/makoba and the likes whose prices are really exorbitant. Shipping from a international retailer can incur a huge customs duty as well.

Hi

Wanted to check from where did you finally buy the M805

Recently I was looking for M800 and found cult pens most economical at 250 pounds incl shipping (~22k).

Though not very sure on customs - but a 40% fee would be too high. I have ordered from cult earlier - but that was just 80 pounds and that passed without any duty.

Was Ravi of any help?

cheers!!

Hi

Wanted to check from where did you finally buy the M805

Recently I was looking for M800 and found cult pens most economical at 250 pounds incl shipping (~22k).

Though not very sure on customs - but a 40% fee would be too high. I have ordered from cult earlier - but that was just 80 pounds and that passed without any duty.

Was Ravi of any help?

cheers!!

I haven't bought the pen yet though I did reach out to Ravi. I have deferred the purchase to April because of other financial commitments sneaking in.

Yes I too found cult pens to be the cheapest for Pelikans. I once tried shipping from CultPens to the USA to one of my visiting friends so that he could bring it back. That's an option you can try if you have some one there. But I faced an issues at the US customs as my shipment had some Edelstein inks as well which was blocked because of TSCA requirements by DHL and had to cancel the shipment because of the delay. May be if you are just purchasing the pen it should be ok. I could be wrong here, but the US customs could charge you duty for import beyond USD 200.

I bought some Diamine inks from Cultpens worth almost 1NR 4000 and I was charged a duty of INR 1400.

Hi pen friends in India,

I'm in Arizona, in the United States. I bought an M1000 from Cult Pens a month ago. The price was very, very low. I watched exchange rates and thought about the purchase for over a year.

As soon as I had my order number, I emailed a request to customer service. I asked if someone who knew about nibs and has a loupe could find a pen with good tine alignment and no baby bottom. (I wonder if that caused a chuckle!)

They chose a pen. It arrived just a few days later. It has a wonderful nib. I got a medium, thinking I would have it ground to a cursive italic, but I'm enjoying the nib so much as it is, I will not change it.

Shipping was free. There were no customs charges.

I don't know anything at all about ordering Pelikans from India. I can only say my experience with Cult Pens was excellent. I have ordered from Fontoplumo also. I found them to be excellent as well, and have no doubt you would be quite happy working with them.

I'm addressing Christmas cards today with my new green striped M1000 with Diamine Sherwood Green. I am very pleased.

I wish you good luck in finding just what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't bought the pen yet though I did reach out to Ravi. I have deferred the purchase to April because of other financial commitments sneaking in.

Yes I too found cult pens to be the cheapest for Pelikans. I once tried shipping from CultPens to the USA to one of my visiting friends so that he could bring it back. That's an option you can try if you have some one there. But I faced an issues at the US customs as my shipment had some Edelstein inks as well which was blocked because of TSCA requirements by DHL and had to cancel the shipment because of the delay. May be if you are just purchasing the pen it should be ok. I could be wrong here, but the US customs could charge you duty for import beyond USD 200.

I bought some Diamine inks from Cultpens worth almost 1NR 4000 and I was charged a duty of INR 1400.

Hi again

I did take the plunge and bought a M800 in blue from cult pens. Ex-VAT the prices were unbeatable (GBP 250). Even though in an earlier instance customs was not charged (GBP 80) this time I was charged INR 7200 in customs. So all in, it almost cost me about INR 29k - which is in line with intnl prices I think.

I ordered a fine nib - though its smooth its not as smooth and as wet as a medium!!

Hi nikhil, congrats on your new acquisition. Can you post a picture to show the tipping?. Curious to see the tipping size of new pelikan fine nib.

Hi again

I did take the plunge and bought a M800 in blue from cult pens. Ex-VAT the prices were unbeatable (GBP 250). Even though in an earlier instance customs was not charged (GBP 80) this time I was charged INR 7200 in customs. So all in, it almost cost me about INR 29k - which is in line with intnl prices I think.

I ordered a fine nib - though its smooth its not as smooth and as wet as a medium!!

Congratulations on the new acquisition. Do post some pictures.

Looks like customs is taking their job too seriously these days:) I never got any exemptions for any of th international orders which were above 25USD.

Hi

Tried to attach/upload some pics taken from phone camera - but the upload page seems to be not working these days - will try from other computer may be later.

Also, I think the Pelikan F is as good as a M for most non-german brands

I have a fine on my m400, and its superbly wet and smooth. May I suggest switching inks? I find that whenever my pens have flow issues, just switching to Iroshuzuku makes them better :) I know the 400 and 800 nibs are rather different, but this strategy has worked for me across very different pens.

Congratulations on the wonderful pen!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Thanks, Iroshuzuku is difficult to get in India I believe - dont want to place order online for inks from out of india.

I like the asa gao though

I have a fine on my m400, and its superbly wet and smooth. May I suggest switching inks? I find that whenever my pens have flow issues, just switching to Iroshuzuku makes them better :) I know the 400 and 800 nibs are rather different, but this strategy has worked for me across very different pens.

Congratulations on the wonderful pen!

Thanks, Iroshuzuku is difficult to get in India I believe - dont want to place order online for inks from out of india.

I like the asa gao though

Amazon.in sells them, that's where I bought mine. They have these sets of three mini bottles so you can try different colours. Not cheap, but really wonderful inks. If not iroshizuku, I am sure some other more easily available Waterman inks or other lubricating/wet inks will do the job. Check out the ink review forums for recommendations!

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was also considering the exact same pen - M800 in blue with a fine nib. I walked in to the William Penn store in Gurgaon for a price quote. They said that they have it in stock and the retail price is around 30K. However, the store manager was willing to give me a discount of 10% bringing the cost to 27K.

I have deferred my decision but others who may want to purchase might want to look at William Penn as an option. You will probably get the pen quicker without any of the customs issues.

Regards

Jatin Sindhu

Hi,

I was also considering the exact same pen - M800 in blue with a fine nib. I walked in to the William Penn store in Gurgaon for a price quote. They said that they have it in stock and the retail price is around 30K. However, the store manager was willing to give me a discount of 10% bringing the cost to 27K.

I have deferred my decision but others who may want to purchase might want to look at William Penn as an option. You will probably get the pen quicker without any of the customs issues.

Regards

Jatin Sindhu

You might try contacting Fontoplumo... I got mine from him almost 7k cheaper than Delhi Price...

vaibhav mehandiratta

You might try contacting Fontoplumo... I got mine from him almost 7k cheaper than Delhi Price...

And customs duty?