Any Modern Sheaffers Like The No Nonsense?

thudthwacker

A few months ago, I rescued a translucent green No Nonsense with a fine italic nib that my wife had been holding onto since, I think, the 80's. Gave it a good flush, soaked it overnight, flushed it some more, picked up a pack of Sheaffer blue-black cartridges, and it's been writing just fine.

I find that I like it a lot; I like the size, the weight, the shape of the section, and the (pardon me) no-nonsense style. I'm thinking about picking up one or two more, and was wondering if Sheaffer has a pen currently in production that matches the No Nonsense. Or shall I continue haunting eBay and keeping an eye out for a good deal?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thudthwacker

• Sailor Kenshin

• ANM

• mitto

A few months ago, I rescued a translucent green No Nonsense with a fine italic nib that my wife had been holding onto since, I think, the 80's. Gave it a good flush, soaked it overnight, flushed it some more, picked up a pack of Sheaffer blue-black cartridges, and it's been writing just fine.

I find that I like it a lot; I like the size, the weight, the shape of the section, and the (pardon me) no-nonsense style. I'm thinking about picking up one or two more, and was wondering if Sheaffer has a pen currently in production that matches the No Nonsense. Or shall I continue haunting eBay and keeping an eye out for a good deal?

Haunt the bay. The Sheaffer they currently call the NN, while available in stores such as Michael's, doesn't come close.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Sadly no. If you're interested in more high line models though, the Connoisseur is always an option for that sort of style. Also out of production like the old NN's, but solid pens.

Calculating.

I was able to acquire a Connaisseur for less than $90.00, and it is a wonderful pen. Keep an eye out for one.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

We're talking apples and gold-leaf oranges here....a vintage NN can be had for anywhere from $10-$30.

The OP did ask about more modern Sheaffers.

Robert Frost

The Connaisseur does indeed look like a great pen (and looks to share the section shape of the NoNonsense, which I like a lot), but yes, it's a bit outside of the range I'm currently interested in spending. I'm likely to continue keeping an eye on auctions; there are usually a few very nice specimens available in the $20-$30 range.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions; and the Connaisseur will definitely have a place on the list of pens I'll be considering should I find I have suitable disposable income.

There are the earlier NN pens with a gold circlular piece on top of the cap and with gold trim and gold plated regular (non-italic) nibs. These also came in marble bodies. I have these in black as well green marble. These do not give the look and feel of some cheap pens.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The Connaisseur does indeed look like a great pen (and looks to share the section shape of the NoNonsense, which I like a lot), but yes, it's a bit outside of the range I'm currently interested in spending. I'm likely to continue keeping an eye on auctions; there are usually a few very nice specimens available in the $20-$30 range.

Many thanks to all for your suggestions; and the Connaisseur will definitely have a place on the list of pens I'll be considering should I find I have suitable disposable income.

A couple of vendors who seem to get a decent batch of NN on a regular basis: Peyton Street Pens, Speerbob (ebay), and possibly isellpens.

Peyton Place has a few NN pens as well as one with gold plated trim and nib.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Looking at old threads on the No Nonsense pens, I saw that there was an Extra Fine Italic nib. How common are these? I'd love to get one, now that I've figured out my much maligned Sheaffer calligraphy set is actually one of the old No Nonsense ones and that I actually like it.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Looking at old threads on the No Nonsense pens, I saw that there was an Extra Fine Italic nib. How common are these? I'd love to get one, now that I've figured out my much maligned Sheaffer calligraphy set is actually one of the old No Nonsense ones and that I actually like it.

I've never seen one!

The fact that NN sections are interchangeable make it very handy to use, as you can probably pick up extra sections.

Looking back at my earlier post, I noticed that I made and error on the price. I paid $80, and it has an 18k gold nib, which adds to the price.

Robert Frost

It has been my experiende that it's easier to come across an italic nib on a NN pen than one with a regular nib.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Many thanks for the pointers; especially Peyton Place Pens. They've got a nice selection of new old stock pens at entirely reasonable prices. Though now that I've heard about it, I'd really love to find one with an Extra Fine Italic nib. The one I have now is a Fine Italic, and in width it falls between my Lamy 1.1mm and Lamy 1.5mm. Which is nice if I want something bolder than my daily writer (my 1.1mm Lamy) but not so wide that it's a chore to keep the nib at the right angle to make a consistent line (the 1.5 usually gives me this variety of grief). However, a NoNonsense with a slightly finer italic that would be suitable for a daily writer would be wonderful.

On the whole, though, I think it's very likely that I'll pick up a NOS NoNonsense with a Medium regular nib.

I've never seen one!

The fact that NN sections are interchangeable make it very handy to use, as you can probably pick up extra sections.

I've never seen an XF italic NN nib either. We usually just see the three they included in the calligraphy set, and some of the 3 tine shadow nibs.