Diamine Flower Set

lgsoltek

Choose your favourite ones!  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite ones!

Currently Diamine has two box sets of inks: the Music Set and the Flower Set. Visvamitra has a great comparison of the former. Personally I find the Music Set colours too gloomy. I prefer the bright colours of the Flower Set. Check out the following links for my individual review of these 10 inks:

Box

The inks come in a sturdy box, separated by some cheap-looking black paper. Sometimes it's very difficult to take out one bottle because it's too tight.

fpn_1461147961__flowerset_box.jpg

Labels

Each label features an image of the corresponding flower.

fpn_1461147967__flowerset_bottles.jpg

Splash

Scanned images.

fpn_1461148050__flowerset_spl.jpg

Now to writing samples. Except stated otherwise, they are all written with a Pilot Elabo/Falcon Soft Medium.

Samples

(On Maruman Looseleaf)

fpn_1461148219__flowerset_maruman.jpg

(On Rhodia Dotpad)

fpn_1461148230__flowerset_rhodia.jpg

(On some cheap no-name notebook paper)

fpn_1461148294__flowerset_crappaper.jpg

Now with dip pen nibs. With a lot of ink put on paper, the colours are richer and show more sheen.

(Speedball 3mm nib, on Maruman Looseleaf)

fpn_1461148297__flowerset_maruman-dip.jp

(Speedball, on Tomoe River white paper)

fpn_1461148512__flowerset_tomoewhite.jpg

(Speedball 3mm and Zebra G, on Tomoe River ivory paper)

fpn_1461148519__flowerset_tomoeivory.jpg

(Folded nib, on Maruman Looseleaf)

fpn_1461148588__flowerset_maruman-folded

Sheen

(Photo taken in sunlight, from the Tomoe River ivory paper sample.)

fpn_1461148625__flowerset_sheen.jpg

Water Resistance

(before: Maruman Looseleaf)

fpn_1461148682__flowerset_waterbefore.jp

(after)

fpn_1461148717__flowerset_waterafter.jpg

Comparison

(with some similar (or not) colours)

fpn_1461149333__flowerset_comp.jpg

To conclude

My impression of these inks in short:
Aster: too pale in writing for my taste, but decent for dipping.
Bougainvillea: I love how bright it is.
Burgundy Rose: decent.
Carnation: a freaky and weird colour with strange sheen, love it.
Cornflower: an okay blue with quite a lot of sheen, stains!
Gerbera: nice shading, a bit dry for my taste (?)
Iris: lovely blurple, stains.
Marigold: not bad, but somewhat dry (?)
Pansy: rich purple, love it, except that it stains.
Tulip: meh, not saturated enough.

I love: Bougainvillea, Carnation, Pansy, Iris.
I don't like: Tulip, Aster.
The rest are ok.

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• amberleadavis

• cellardoor04

• BayesianPrior

Thanks for doing the comparison.
I'll admit that my vote is a little skewed because I haven't tried all of the set: I still have Pansy, Iris, Marigold and Gerbera to go. I suspect the latter two I will NOT like (well, reserving judgment on Marigold).

My favorites were Aster, Cornflower and Carnation, and rather liked Bougainvillea as well; still trying to make up my mind about Burgundy Rose. Did not like Tulip at all, though -- too orange-y a red for my taste.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for presentation.

I doubt that i would ever go for one of those colors - somehow flowers are so beautiful in nature that any ink is a poor shot at playing God (... Hum loaded comment, but not under my keyboard!).

Anyway, forgetting the flowers association, i'd go for Maridgold, even if as a color it's a little too orangy. Still my number one on that list.

I've always loved the Cornflower. Lovely.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Excellent comparisons. Thank you very much for such a fine piece of art and research here! Especially your choice of other brands' inks like Iroshis is a real harvest!

The colours of the flowers are self-indicative, ranging from "right on" down to at least "pretty close to what I have in my own garden". Some of the actual colours in the Music series really appeal to me but I'm then faced with the problem... "Why on earth is Beethoven Green, but Wagner yellow?" etc. There, I see absolutely zero connection. If at least the remotest connection had been carved out like Vivaldi being red (because he had red hair) or Scriabin (who is, yes, not among those ten) being black because of his well-known piano sonata called "The Black Mass"... well, then....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great comparison! Thank you!

Could you elaborate on the staining behaviour of Cornflower please? It looks like it might be a close relation of Sargasso Sea...

Edited by BayesianPrior

bayesianprior.png

Great comparison! Thank you!

Could you elaborate on the staining behaviour of Cornflower please? It looks like it might be a close relation of Sargasso Sea...

I only used it once. It was in the pen for about a week I guess, and the Pilot converter is stained blue. It could be removed with mild soap water though. I don't have any experience with Sargasso Sea.

I only used it once. It was in the pen for about a week I guess, and the Pilot converter is stained blue. It could be removed with mild soap water though. I don't have any experience with Sargasso Sea.

Many thanks. This is the same behaviour that has been noted for Sargasso Sea. I wonder if I'll ever find a deep, true blue, highly saturated, with great sheen...and low maintenance.

bayesianprior.png

Thank you for the excellent comparison. I bought a 30ml bottle of Marigold and came to the same conclusion as you, it is very dry. I put it in a Pelikan M800 with a B nib and it could barely write! Diamine Autumn Oak flowed really well, in comparison. Not sure what I'd do with my Marigold now, but oh well. It's a beautiful colour nonetheless!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Thank you for the excellent comparison. I bought a 30ml bottle of Marigold and came to the same conclusion as you, it is very dry. I put it in a Pelikan M800 with a B nib and it could barely write! Diamine Autumn Oak flowed really well, in comparison. Not sure what I'd do with my Marigold now, but oh well. It's a beautiful colour nonetheless!

How did you get an individual bottle, Nyx? I've heard people say they sell special edition inks from sets individually but I emailed Diamine multiple times to order a bottle of Diamine Wagner and never got a response...

I would love to get a bottle of Gerbera or Tulip, for instance, they're so intriguing...

Edited by paloma32

Outstanding review and very impressive display of calligraphy! I have never been very fond of the unpredicatability of Diamine inks, but I might just have to give these a try.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

How did you get an individual bottle, Nyx? I've heard people say they sell special edition inks from sets individually but I emailed Diamine multiple times to order a bottle of Diamine Wagner and never got a response...

I would love to get a bottle of Gerbera or Tulip, for instance, they're so intriguing...

Diamine sells them in individual 30ml plastic bottles on their site.

There are a few threads on how to make an ink wetter, like this one: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/268124-inky-t-o-d-improving-ink-flow-make-a-dry-writing-ink-wetter-or-help-ignition-problems/?p=3016908

Basically you add a tiny trace amount of surfactant, like Photo-flo or dishsoap, into the ink.

Try in a small sample first! It's easy to overdo it and the ink will drip from your pen!

Outstanding review and very impressive display of calligraphy! I have never been very fond of the unpredicatability of Diamine inks, but I might just have to give these a try.

Thank you! I agree that Diamine inks don't have a uniform behaviour, like Sailor inks.

As LgSoltek said, Diamine sells them on their site. However, I got mine from La Couronne Du Comte. I asked Dennis (the owner) if he would be able to order a 30ml bottle of Marigold refill to add to my order, and he did it with no qualms! Now I wish I had added Aster instead :P

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

LG, this was amazing. Thank you. I liked the series. Burgundy Rose wasn't my favorite, but it is a dead ringer for Hitchcock which I had used my entire bottle. So, that worked out fine. I was glad you warned me about the staining of Pansy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

As LgSoltek said, Diamine sells them on their site. However, I got mine from La Couronne Du Comte. I asked Dennis (the owner) if he would be able to order a 30ml bottle of Marigold refill to add to my order, and he did it with no qualms! Now I wish I had added Aster instead :P

Thanks! nice to know that the stores can order them too, I hadn't thought of that.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, the more of these I use, the more I like Cornflower.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY