Conklin Heritage Word Gauge Le #83 Of 98

Sallent

This is a pen I was not looking to own, but sort of stumbled into. There is a huge lack of reviews on the Conklin Word Gauge, despite Conklin currently producing a blue and a black version of this pen, so I think I owe the community a little bit of information on this interesting take on the ink window for a piston filler mechanism.

This brief review is for the Limited Edition version of the Conklin Word Gauge, in red color. Only 98 of these fountain pens were made. However, Conklin still makes these pens in blue and in black, so if you like this one, you can still acquire one, just not in this color.

Initial Impressions 4.5/5

My first impressions are that although the pen does not feel cheap, it also does not feel like a particularly fancy pen. The resin body is pleasant enough to the touch. The fit and finish is decent, and there are no noticeable imperfections or sloppy workmanship to the naked eye. However, the execution of the company name on the barrel could have been done better. The pen's size is larger than a Pilot Custom 92 both capped and posted, and is probably closer to the size of a Pelikan M600 or M800, so it's a decently sized pen.

It is a very light pen, but when posted the cap definitely transfers a bit of weight towards the rear. Still, even with the cap posted this is still a very light pen, so most people should not have any difficulty using it for prolonged writing sessions. I still do not know whether the word count marks on the ink window are accurate (ie. if it says I have 4000 words to go before running out of ink, I can rely on that) so I will have to test that feature over time.

The box the pen came in is sturdy, though nothing special. It came well packaged.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/sallentlaw/20160419_113750_zpsvndyzppc.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/sallentlaw/20160419_113708_zpsgjydkg6f.jpg

Filling Mechanism 4/5

The filling mechanism is a piston. Although the piston is easy to operate, it is not the smoothest I've ever used. I'm not saying that it is bad, but definitely not in the same league of smoothness as Pelikan or Pilot. However, the over-sized ink window with marks for how many thousands of words you have left to go before running out of ink, is a unique take on the traditional piston filling system with an ink window. I think that ink window is the thing that makes this pen interesting, but I'd imagine some people might not find it as interesting as I do.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/sallentlaw/20160419_113415_zps4slgb69f.jpg

Writing/Nib Performance 4.5/5

The nib is a steel M nib. It is two toned, with the word Conklin written in a gold-colored tone, and the words Toledo USA underneath. The nib is very smooth and writes effortlessly without the need for any pressure. The ink flow is fairly generous too. I am very pleased with the way this pen writes out of the box. My one complaint is that I wish the cap was a little lighter, but as this is a very light pen to begin with, I don't think it is a major issue at all.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/sallentlaw/20160419_113440_zps2zr6ezpv.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/sallentlaw/20160419_114826_zpsknb6hkm5.jpg

Price 4/5

On paper this pen is not a good deal at $295.00. However, authorized Conklin dealers all over the internet are offering the Conklin Word Gauge at a discounted price of $150.00. At that price, this pen is not so bad. Yes, it does have a steel nib, but it writes well, balance is decent, it is a good sized pen, it has an interesting and unique take on the concept of the ink window, and it's not the worst looking pen in the world. If you can get a standard blue or black Conklin Word Gauge for $150 or less, it is really not that bad. I wish it had a gold nib for the price though...but hey,it is far from the only brand to offer nothing but steel nibs at this price range.

As for the red version in this review...you will have to look very long and hard to get one. With only 98 made in this color, they rarely ever come up for sale anywhere.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h206/sallentlaw/20160419_113403_zpsj9kss8ps.jpg

Final Score: 17/20

Edited by Sallent

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sallent

• Penquin

• visvamitra

• Precise

Thank you for the review. Personally I'm not really keen on the looks of the pen though :)

Yes, this is a polarizing pen. You either like the oversized ink window that tells you how many thousands of words worth of writing you have left with your current ink supply, or you hate it. Personally, I neither like it or hate it. I got it because I thought it was unusual in comparison to the typical ink windows you see out there. The fact that the red colored ones were a Limited Edition of 98 pens also helped.

They are not bad pens at all...just different. I got mine for around 38% of the full retail price. For that kind of money it is not a bad deal. And frankly, fountain pens with internal filling mechanisms are not very abundant these days, so I'm always happy to add another to my collection, even if it's not the most gorgeous pen in the world.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

I bought one of these (blue) several weeks ago. Like many of my new pen purchases, the nib needed some work. In fact, it needed more than the average amount of work. (I have two other Conklin pens, a Duragraph and an All American which needed less work). The Word Gauge nib had a lump of excess plating in the slit. I smoothed that away with abrasive mylar. After this, the pen had insufficient flow, so I spread the tine-gap.

But now, it's a sweetheart. I like the size and the huge ink capacity. It's just big enough to satisfy my hand, yet smaller and lighter than many of the pens I keep on my desk. The size and the ink window have led me to grab this pen most often when I venture out in the world. With my other piston pens I worried that I might be grabbing a pen which was low on ink. But this pen's "fuel gauge" eliminates that concern.

I've written elsewhere on FPN that I find Conklin and Bexlely to give first rate quality at bargain prices. But I've also written that you'll be way ahead if you learn to tune your nibs.

Alan

• 5 months later...

For folks who do like this pen, Massdrop has a "drop" at a great price.

Edited by Penquin

• 8 months later...

I know this was a while ago, I have two questions about this pen I hope someone can answer:

1. What are the dimensions of the pen, in particular from nib tip to back end, UNPOSTED. I'm trying to see if the pen is long enough to write comfortably without posting the cap.

2. Does the cap post securely??

thx,

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890