Medium Montblanc Nibs

kenny

For form filling and diary entries I use a Parker 75 with needlepoint nib, this makes a Sailor F look like a B. My 146 & 147 are used for most other work. I also tend to carry a 144 with me for occasional use.

Peter

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kenny

• Remedial penmanship

• s_t_e_v_e

• FOUR X FOUR

For form filling and diary entries I use a Parker 75 with needlepoint nib, this makes a Sailor F look like a B. My 146 & 147 are used for most other work. I also tend to carry a 144 with me for occasional use.

What nibs do you have on your 146, 147 & 144?

Hi Kenny,

This is a very interesting topic as I had the same question in mind but the other way round !! I've been always wondering why do people buy Montblanc Fine Nibs !!!! :lticaptd:

I can tell that I have never used a fine nib, fountain or/and roller since ages, I am always after Medium or Broad Nibs... I found them smooth, wet & there only I feel " MY Fountain" pen.

Concerning "e" & "o" writing issues, even with a Montblanc Broad nib, I don't get a problem with my "e" or "o" filled with ink ! I trust this has to do with speed of writing, size of letters and Paper Quality as well.

See my writing sample by a MB FB 145 Broad Oblique Nib.

Sorry for the quality, photos made by mobile.

It's amazing how we are different :))))))

Yes it is!

I do admit, the pens I have which do have MB Medium nibs are fun to use in a non-work situation (e.g., MB pens acquired used at a pen show, so I was not eligible for a nib exchange). However, I have to write with a much larger script than normal in order to be legible.

What nibs do you have on your 146, 147 & 144?

As I said on an early post the 146 is EF. The 147 is M and the 144 is F.

I also have a 146 75 year with a B but that does not get a great deal of use.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

Kenny- I think your best option is to send your medium nibs to a nibmeister like John Mottishaw or Mike Masuyama if you are in the USA or Canada, or to John Sowroka or to the guys in Spain, (forget what their name is), if you are in Europe.

These nibmeisters could make a MB nib exactly as you want it, instead of sending you pen to MB HQs in Germany.

Edited by Wolverine1

The only communication at work for which I use my pens are patient instructions, and for those I have the freedom of OBBB, at least occasionally. 😀

Edited by Remedial penmanship

Now that I see your writing style, I can see why a German F or EF would work best.

If you haven't already checked it out, take a look at this thread. Most people there have used mediums or stubs. Even when using fine nibs their penmanship is reasonably large to be readable. I do understand that some of those samples may not be an indicator of the poster's daily writing style, but it gives an idea of how many people use wider nibs.

My 146 came with medium nib that was just too thick for my writing style. I had Montblanc do a nib exchange for a fine. The fine was just as thick as the medium! I had Linda Kennedy from Indy-Pen-Dance grind the fine into a .56mm cursive italic. I just love how it writes now and it has become my favorite pen.

My 146 came with medium nib that was just too thick for my writing style. I had Montblanc do a nib exchange for a fine. The fine was just as thick as the medium! I had Linda Kennedy from Indy-Pen-Dance grind the fine into a .56mm cursive italic. I just love how it writes now and it has become my favorite pen.

Yes that can happen with German nibs, a fine can sometimes be as wide or wider than a medium. Pelikans are notorious for having even their EF write wider than a western medium sometimes (not my experience but I have seen people complain. Though I've had my Pelikan F nibs write like a medium because they're just too wet.) Looks like the best option for those who are particular about line widths is to have their nibs ground by a nibmeister.

You don't have an EHR??

Sure. But these are my own notes I take when reviewing the EHR or getting a history, then I use that data to create a note in the EHR.

EHR sucks.

Now that I see your writing style, I can see why a German F or EF would work best.

If you haven't already checked it out, take a look at this thread. Most people there have used mediums or stubs. Even when using fine nibs their penmanship is reasonably large to be readable. I do understand that some of those samples may not be an indicator of the poster's daily writing style, but it gives an idea of how many people use wider nibs.

Yep. If it wasn't for my daily use, I would probably gravitate to a medium. It's just not practical for me since fountain pens are my workhorses for every day. I just have to write too small in my activities.

Years ago, I used to play around with a Schaeffer calligraphy set, so I CAN write larger and use a wider nib when I'm doing it during "leisure" activities.

the EHR comment was kind of a reflex. I get the impression you're probably a busy inpatient doc and respect the need for neat and legible notes, even if they never make the record. I'm a lazy outpatient kind of guy who types straight into a Word document bypassing the entire point of the EHR but have signed enough things to be known as the guy with the fun pens. Too bad our office copy paper feathers like mad with anything more than said M nib.

iOS duplicate post. :/

Edited by Remedial penmanship

Kenny- I think your best option is to send your medium nibs to a nibmeister like John Mottishaw or Mike Masuyama if you are in the USA or Canada, or to John Sowroka or to the guys in Spain, (forget what their name is), if you are in Europe.

These nibmeisters could make a MB nib exactly as you want it, instead of sending you pen to MB HQs in Germany.

I might do that if I was going to change an old pen. However, the nib exchange is free when I buy a new pen from the MB boutique, which is where most of my MBs come from.

By the way, good to see you are still on the board, Sid! Hope you are remaining healthy.

Sure. But these are my own notes I take when reviewing the EHR or getting a history, then I use that data to create a note in the EHR.

EHR sucks.

+1

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 years later...

Hey Kenny,

I am glad you brought up this topic as I too was hesitant with MB nibs. I have the same daily routine as you, except apart from our EHR, we do write all progress notes by hand, on very cheap multi-recycled paper.

I just bought a Meisterstuck Solitaire LeGrand with a fine nib from the online store and am wondering if I should get a medium nib. The issue is the occasional skip... On the bad quality paper, I will miss out 10% of starts when I write print-style but it will be ok for sentences I write cursive. I had wondered if a medium nib would skip less...

The other issue is the bad paper quality: at work, the fine nib looks like a broad and the ink bleeds through the paper easily. My LePetitPrince Fine is slightly wider than my Visconti medium on such paper. On good quality paper, the MB is indeed more fine than the Visconti however.

What type of nib did you end up settling on? When balancing occasional skip and bad paper bleed through, would you prefer F or M.

All comments welcome :)

Good day

The attached Pic is a sample (invented informatiom, not a real note) on the best quality work paper we have. From Left to Right: Meisterstuck Solitaire Le Grand (F), Visconti Van Gogh (M), MB Starwalker (F) and Sheaffer Prelude (F). The blue ink is Montblanc permanent blue. The black ink is Parker Quink.

post-50993-0-80746800-1555415062_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PAlbedo

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.