Pilot Vanishing Point - Cons?

tdewald

I am thinking of getting a Vanishing Point as my next pen, but I would be interested to find out what users see as their pros and cons (mostly cons).

Before becoming addicted to fountain pens, all of my pedestrian pens were of the clicky variety, and I do miss that convenience. That being said, the writing experience is more important to me than convenience, so my VP will need to be a nice, smooth writer. I already know the biggest con for most people (the clip placement) won't be an issue for me, but what other nitpicky details should I be wary of?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• tdewald

• Arkanabar

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my limited experience, VP nib units are superb. As for reliability, I've used mine daily for note-taking for several years now, so it has seen a lot of clicks with no hint of mechanical problems.

The only negatives I've experienced (setting aside the placement of the clip, which doesn't bother me either) are three. If you fill the converter and neglect to force out a couple of drops before fully retracting the piston, you can end up with ink pooling around the nib and eventually leaking out onto the top of the clip and thence onto your shirt. That is an operator-error kind of problem. Also, if you get a M or B nib that puts down a fair amount of ink, you may find that the converter capacity is annoyingly small. I use an EF nib and it's not a problem, but others have mentioned it. My wife's B nib definitely needs regular refills. Finally, the very smooth, tapered grip area (what would be the section in a normal pen) is difficult for people who like to squeeze their pens when they write. Your fingers can slip.

ron

I LOVE my VP. I don't have an issue with the clip placement, either. I use a medium nib -- it's as smooth as silk. I haven't had any issues with the ink pooling or leaking. Really, for me, this is my go-to pen that is the least fussy of all of them. In fact, I'm thinking I should add another one because I use it so much!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

The only con for me has been the small ink supply. Mine is an F but it's like a fire hose, so it may be advisable to get an EF. It may need a little smoothing to make it feel comfortable though.

I've used a VP for close to 2 years, and recently got a Fermo to go with it. I still use both plenty. The only con I could find for the VP is that sometimes ink leaks a bit inside the hood and is a pain to clean.

If you can get past the placement of the clip, small ink supply compared to a piston filler, and not being able to see how much ink you have left, it's a good pen. I used to own one and I rather enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd buy one again. My tastes in fps have changed.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

I have no negatives with mine. The clip doesn't interfere with my grip. I have the fine nib and it writes very smoothly. I would recommend the CON-20 converter over the CON-50 though. I have both and much prefer the CON-20. It fills easily and the ink flows nicely.

For me the VP's section area is a bit too thick for my grip and I it find it too heavy for longer writing sessions. I have the Decimo and like it so much better as it is thinner and about half the weight. Can write comfortably with the Decimo for long periods of time. While the VP clip really didn't bother me, I find the Decimo's clip more comfortable in my hand. They use the same nib unit, and my fine writes wonderfully smooth. And now the Decimo is officially available in the US!

For me the VP's section area is a bit too thick for my grip and I it find it too heavy for longer writing sessions. I have the Decimo and like it so much better as it is thinner and about half the weight. Can write comfortably with the Decimo for long periods of time. While the VP clip really didn't bother me, I find the Decimo's clip more comfortable in my hand. They use the same nib unit, and my fine writes wonderfully smooth. And now the Decimo is officially available in the US!

I wish there was a way to hold both to see which I prefer. I currently own Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ECO, Noodler's Ahab, Faber-Castell Loom, and Pilot/Namiki Falcon. Can you draw comparisons with any of those pens as far as grip width?

I had one for quite some time. The nibs are nice, but it seemed like a heavy pen for a small nib. It was promising at first as a modern take on the fountain pen, but the size and weight and the nib size just didn't seem so natural as my favorite pens, Parker 51 and Montblanc 144.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The clip dug into my finger. It was a very uncomfortable writer.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I have 2 VPs plus an extra stub nib unit. I really like the weight and feel of the VP. It isn't especially light, but not as heavy as my FC Loom. My problems have been with the nibs. Both of my F nibs are scratchy and skip. They are both about 5 years old now. So, I purchased a stub nib unit. It does not write well either. So, today I sent both pens and the nib unit to Mike Masuyama to optimize them (nib and feed adjustments) for me. He's super busy right now, but in a couple of months I should have them back and they should write very well then.

I've not had problems with the clicking mechanism, or with clip placement, but I have had a few issues with the converters. I think I have worked around those pretty successfully.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Aloha tdewald,

No cons from me. I have two of the older, plastic faceted VP models as well as two of the newer VP models. Nib sizes include extra fine, fine, M and B, which I swap amongst all the models. I have the CON50 and CON20 convertors.

Of all the models I own and combinations of nibs and convertors, I find the most usable for me is the F nib with a CON50 convertor. The reasons are, eventhough all the nibs write smoothly, (with the exception of the EX which has more feedback), the F seems the best compromise between smoothness and the ability to write on varying grades of paper, (M and B sometimes bleed of lower quality of paper).

Regarding convertor choice, though the CON20 has a slightly higher ink capacity, I like the ability to monitor ink supply in the CON50. As another option, I have used a Pilot ink cartridge in all models. This is a good choice if long writing sessions with no readily available ink source.

Between the older and newer models, I actually prefer the older model as it is much lighter in weight and has a better integrated front clip IMO. The only downside to the plastic model is ti is not as robust as the metal barrel and finish of the newer model. One of my older models cracked at the clicker end when I dropped it, so I cannibalized the parts for my other pens. Anyway, the VP is a great EDC and I love the quick deployment of clicking to write. It is an almost Zen thing clicking the pen, though I'm sure it can be annoying to others around you, lol! Either way, a great pen.

Kind regards,

AG_ORD

I have regular Vanishing Points, Vanishing Points with the clip removed (done by a now retired seller) and the Capless Decimo. I find the lighter, slimmer Decimo to be more comfortable to write with. The clip placement is about the same as on the regular VP, but it doesn't bother me during long writing sessions. The clip does start to bother me on the regular VP if I'm writing at length, although not if I'm jotting quick notes. On the other hand, it's harder to keep the nib oriented properly with the clip removed, and of course it's less convenient to carry.

But the OP already indicated that he wasn't worried about the clip. As far as smoothness goes, I have used broad, medium, fine, and extra fine nibs on these pens, and only the XF wasn't quite as smooth as I like (not a surprise). And it was just a bit. Somebody who liked it would call it "feedback". The others are all quite smooth but using a broad nib you'll probably run out of ink quicker than you expect. My favorite is the fine. And I do prefer the Decimo body; the nib units are swappable from my VPs.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I had a Matte Black VP that I recently sold. The pen was superb and it laid down a very wet/smooth line. I ultimately sold it because I found myself handling it with kid gloves as to not scratch the matte surface, a trait that you really don't want out of a pen that was meant to be a "daily carry." That's the only complaint that I can think of outside of the obligatory ink capacity and clip placement complaints. It was a really great, utilitarian pen and I may one day go for a different finish that might not mar so easily.

I had a Matte Black VP that I recently sold. The pen was superb and it laid down a very wet/smooth line. I ultimately sold it because I found myself handling it with kid gloves as to not scratch the matte surface, a trait that you really don't want out of a pen that was meant to be a "daily carry." That's the only complaint that I can think of outside of the obligatory ink capacity and clip placement complaints. It was a really great, utilitarian pen and I may one day go for a different finish that might not mar so easily.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too worried about the finish showing the pen has seen a lot of use, as it gives some character. If it were to bother me, I might try removing the finish and duracoating it in FDE and OD Green for giggles.

I just got one in the mail a few hours ago. I haven't inked it yet but this little puppy looks awesome. Matte black with black nib. I'd like to see it be bigger than what it is but I'm not complaining. 18 it gold nib, 150 bucks, can't beat it with a stick.;

I have a weight issue with the VP.

I prefer the older lighter plastic version.

I do not like heavy pens, my preferred pens are under 20 grams, and better yet under 15 grams. I hard cut off anything above 32 grams.

The heavier pens between 20 and 32 grams I can use, but for a limited amount of time, as the weight bothers me. Usually writing less than 1 page. My lighter pens, I can go for pages.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I love my VP, and am not bothered by the size or clip placement, but it's at the upper limit of what I find comfortable weight-wise. I generally prefer very light pens, like ac12, and my favorites tend to be the smaller/lighter vintage pens. YMMV, however; I know some people find heavier pens more comfortable.