What Rollerball Are You Using Today?

This is fast becoming my favorite part of the forum.

I've been sorting out my writing instrument collection, selling some , and giving a few away.

While listing on ebay, I thought I'd take a look at some new Roller ball pens (I've been using them more often lately), and noticed that A LOT of folks are bidding on them. Are they becoming THAT popular?

So, that got me thinking, we have threads for what fp are you using today, for what pencil are you using, etc.

Well, I'm using a green/black Baoer 388 roller with a Jinhao black refill.

How about you?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IvoryParker

• Zookie

• RMN

• Rednaxela

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, if people have need for such a topic, I would suggest to specify: What RB... and another topic What BP...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I agree, there are lots of ways we could split things up when there's really no need to, but I have also noticed that there is a lot of Interest in roller ball pens. I'm just curious as to which ones people are using and why, what refills, etc.

It might help in any future purchasing decisions.

Loving my Pelikan K400 with broad refill.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'll change the title in what RB...

~

~

Sheaffer 300 Ferrari, with a Sheaffer refill.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Sheaffer Legacy RB recently acquired from a fellow FPN member. All in a a very nice pen and almost enough to not make me miss bringing an FP to work today.

Pelikan R620 Grand Place (as beautiful as the fountain pen) and just wrote a few lines with a Pelikan brown tortoiseshell R250... :wub:

Well, if people have need for such a topic, I would suggest to specify: What RB... and another topic What BP...

D.ick

Oh man, that just screwed me up.😀 I don't even know the difference between a ball point and a rollerball. This is one of two, that I own. This is a LAMY 2000. I'm pretty sure it's a rollerball or a ballpoint😃

Oh man, that just screwed me up. I don't even know the difference between a ball point and a rollerball. This is one of two, that I own. This is a LAMY 2000. I'm pretty sure it's a rollerball or a ballpointattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Usually if it clicks or turns it's a BP. If it has a cap mostly a RB. But there's always the odd one out...

D.ick

~

~

Montblanc rollerball and I can't remember the model number....the cap slips on and has no screw threads so its an older one. When I run out of the refills I will replace it with a Serasa refill with a little jerry rigging.

Pelikan M600 rollerball. Unlike ballpoints, it requires essentially no pressure. It looks like a fountain pen and writes very well: smooth and uniform lines with no hesitation or gunk buildup. Refills are available in fine or medium and blue or black.

I use my rollerballs when I fly somewhere...they are perfect for that. On the last trip I took my Parker 75 Cicele with black Parker refill.

Today I'm using a Sheaffer 100 in Matte Black with a Jinhao black refill. A couple of turns with a round file in the tip of the pen and it works fine. Nice, dark black refill, and at a reasonable cost.

Tombow Egg (with a Tombow refill, obvs), a slightly battered silver one I got off ebay before they were discontinued and the price started rising. (I've got one of the matte black ones still mint in its box as well, but the silver one I use.)

J. Herbin cartridge ink rollerball. I just found out Zebra makes a cartridge ink rollerball, R-301, I look forward to trying that one.

I have a whole slew of rollerballs that I've picked up over the years. Many are modern Conklins, a Sheaffer Balance II, Taccia, Kaigelu, almost any one that catches my eye and doesn't cost much. I prefer larger models with screw-on caps. I modify them all to accept Pilot G-2 refills, as I prefer their ink texture and performance. Many of these rollers are ready to use the G-2 as they come. The others usually only need to have their tips drilled out a bit so that the G-2 "shank" will fit far enough into them to allow the roller point to be exposed. The only one, so far, that needed the length of the refill to be trimmed was the Sheaffer Balance II. The tip was fine, but the G-2 was a bit too long. Just trimmed it down with scissors and away we go.

I think the technical difference between the ballpoint and a rollerball is the ink. Ballpoint ink is oil-based, while rollerball ink is water based. Sometimes rollerballs are called Gel Pens, but these are still (IIRC) water-based inks.

At the moment, it's a new Cross Century II in royal blue. A lovely little pen. Later in the day, it'll probably be a Cross Townsend - those are my favorites.

Please see my current classifieds!

Looking for a Cross Century 2000 RB and/or FP in Chrome: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43765-wtb-cross-century-2000-rollerball-andor-fp-in-chrome/

Pilot Precise V5 is probably my biggest go to "not a fountain pen". My mom used them as a waitress when I was younger, and I got used to grabbing them from around the house when I lost all my Bics that had been bought for school. They write so smoothly that it's been hard to adapt to anything else. The one downside I have is when I need to let someone else sign something and they break the tip off...

I've also been enjoying the Pentel Energel, same smoothness as the V5, but the blue is a little more vibrant.