Delta Nib Swap - Nib Feed Removal

Bill P

has anyone swapped nibs on a delta fountain pen?

I am told they are all friction fit...BUT so far with a brand new, never inked FP it is tight tight tight..so tight I am hesitant to force it...although I have been assured that they are all friction fit.

All are current production ...delta dolce vita - medium size...Grande Journal, We Emotion (#5 nib), and the Skeleton...all are #6 nibs except the We which is #5.

I have soaked in water/soap solution overnight, and I have used the Goulet rubber patch which is designed for friction nib removal...NOT a budge..

HELP - please provide your experience and wisdom..

Thanks in advance.

Bill

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill P

• larnivon

• grainweevil

• Ursus

I surely haven't much "wisdom" but I did exchange the nib on a Delta "Indigenus Person" pen with a Goulet stock nib. ( I wanted a stub & saw no reason to pay the "upcharge" for a stub nib while I am quite happy with the Goulet 1.5 steel nib. )

I don't have a "Goulet rubber gripper" but always use a small piece of leather for the same purpose. I don't remember it being any harder than when I did the same with a Twsbi Micarta. I have only "pulled" maybe six nibs but this one didn't seem much different to me. Perhaps my pen, sold as NOS, was just older production?

I have 4 models:

.delta dolce vita - medium size...Grande Journal, We Emotion (#5 nib), and the Skeleton

All are #6 except we Emotion which is #5..

I once adjusted the nib of my Dolcevita Stantuffo Oro. I took a little tissue and pulled out feeder and nib whilst doing a little turn during the pull. The reverse action was far more easy. It was a little risk but the Dolcevita performed better than before.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

I've removed nibs from Dolcevitas and other Delta pens, as well as oversized nib and feed units - they have all been friction fit. Some were much tighter than others.

And none of them want to come out?

So far I have only attempted the Grand Journal...BUT I would like to swap the nibs on all of them...

The Grand Journal, and in fact all of their FP's from what I have been told are friction fit....I would like to have success with one before I attempt any others..

I may have to try another Delta and then come back to the Grand Journal...it is so tight..

I've removed nibs from Dolcevitas and other Delta pens, as well as oversized nib and feed units - they have all been friction fit. Some were much tighter than others.

How did you ultimately get the really tight ones removed? What technique(s) did you utilize?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if you had a successful outcome to this, Bill P, but I ran across this thread while having the same problem - in my case prompted by a faulty fusion nib that needs to be swapped for a replacement. Eventually I cast my search wider to stuck nibs generally, and followed the advice to run the section under the hot tap for a while, so it's warm, not hot. That proved to be just enough to allow the nib and feed to be successfully pulled out. Hope that might help anyone else faced with this difficulty.

I reseated the fusion nib on my Journal with no issue, it pulled right out with a grip pad. Don't twist, though: there is an alignment slot.

I reseated the fusion nib on my Journal with no issue, it pulled right out with a grip pad. Don't twist, though: there is an alignment slot.

Thank-you for your comments and experience ... I have tried a grip, I have not yet tried using a hair dryer or a bit of warm water to warm it up slightly (as suggested by Grainweevil)..

The nib/feed is really in there tight....I have tried with a grip (one of the goulet grips)...no luck...pulling straight out

I have been pulling straight out...mine has the fusion nib too, so I am trying to be careful that I don't in some way disrupt the extra piece that is mounted on the nib (the fusion piece)...I have heard reports that some have fallen off, etc...so i am being extra careful with that piece, which makes it a little more difficult to maximize the grip and the pull.

I'll get it yet.....thanks to all who have posted experiences , comments, or suggestions.

Bill

Hi Bill. I have pulled and swapped my Delta nibs numerous times. Some were easy to pull, others were tight. Simply dipped the tight ones in warmish-hot water for a minutes, grabbed the rubber gripper I sometimes use to open cans in the kitchen, and voila ... Nib and feed out without any damage. No need to grip tightly once they are warmed up by the water.

Edited by 888007888

• 3 weeks later...

To all of you who responded with suggestions on the Delta nib removal...I thank-you

This weekend, with the aid of some warm-hot water I was able to remove and re-install several nib/feeds on delta Fountain pens that I wanted to swap due to nib size.

Some were REALLY a bear to get out, others came right out with little effort ...much easier re-installing.

The warm-hot water, 2 grips, and some persistence ...with the aid and confidence of knowing they are friction fit and should come straight out...was all that I needed.

So thank-you all

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Delta Grand Journal. If i understand this correctly, I can swap the nib for a Goulet stub #6?

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I currently have 7 Delta's in rotation and except for the Grand Journal, all nib 'n feed units come out, some with a bit of force. The Grande Journal will not com out but then also the converter doesn't come out. It seems things are glued. Withe the regular Journal, even the barrel doesn't come of and the nib 'n feed only with a lot of force, too much to be comfortable.
On the other hand, I don't see the point of swapping the nibs if that's what you're after. The Delta nibs are made to spec Bocks, I'm not sure a Goulet (JoWo?) will give you better performance.

I barely whispered, "Please," and the nib on my Grande Journal came out. Goulet has a stub at a nice price that I'm going to try.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Curious about your experiences. I tried an Edison 1.1 (JoWo) on a Dolce Vita and noticed that the feed can't handle it, started skipping and starved after half a page.The Delta stub however is a 1.3 and there is no problem. Not sure what's going on there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, does anyone know which size does the Delta Unica use?

And the Delta Dolcevita (the c/c one).

Thank you!