M805 Vibrant Blue Review

Merackon

Hiya people! This is my review of the newly released Pelikan M805 Vibrant Blue Special Edition in a Fine nib.This is the second Pelikan that I have purchased, having sold my M800 blue + gold because I simply couldn't stand the colour combination there. I was at first a bit hesitant to purchase this pen, as the UK sellers don't tend to have as lenient returns policies with pens as larger shops like La Couronne du Comte and PenWorld in my experience. The primary reason for this being the risk of not enjoying writing with the pen just like I had with the old M800, and receiving a pen whose finish was not at all reflective of the images in the photographs. However, temptation overruled caution after I saw Dan Smith's Instagram image of the pen and read a review from a blogger, combined with the fact that blue is my absolute favourite colour of course.

1. Dimensions
  2. Box and contents
  3. Appearance
  4. Fit and finish
  5. Filling system
  6. Ergonomics
  7. Nib performance
  8. Closing thoughts and conclusion

Dimensions

Length capped - 142mm

Length uncapped - 128mm

Nib length - 22.5mm

Section length - 14.5mm (not including threads, but included trimmed flare at the end)

Section diameter lo - 10.8mm

Section diameter hi - 11.5mm

Box Contents

I won't write much here, aside from the standard warranty and product brochures, the only other thing of note inside the packaging is the faux leather fold over pouch for the pen, which personally I don't use for storing the pen on a day to day basis, but I imagine some people do. I am not really fussed about the simplicity of the Pelikan packaging, especially when compared to some other companies, at the M800 level I think it is alright to skimp out on the packaging. The M1000 is another matter, as its a flagship, but that story is for another time.

Appearance

Wall of text time, feel free to skip to images...

Now is the time for this pen to truly shine, both literally and metaphorically. This blue is, to steal the blogger's description, "the blue". I would regard it as a perfect middle blue, not a deeper hue like the standard M800, or a purpley colour like on the Divina Elegance (colour blindness might be skewing my perception here though). It is just exactly the colour that I think of when I think of a blue.

post-122828-0-82681300-1460896814_thumb.jpg

The actual barrel of the pen has an appearance that I think can only be described by the word 'fragmented'. Similar to the blue auroloide pens, I think, the material seems to have layers beneath layers, each coming through as a slightly different shade of blue depending on the light being shone on it. On closer inspection, the material definitely has a subtle sparkle to it, similar to that of the Divina Elegance, but does not shout about it as much I think. If I were to describe it in a sentence, I think I would call it a mix between the Aurora and Divina finish.

post-122828-0-59969900-1460896782_thumb.jpgpost-122828-0-23374000-1460896763_thumb.jpg

In addition to these characteristics, the material is also fairly translucent, and it is easy to see the nib and section beneath the cap in dimmer lit room lighting. The piston assembly is also partially visible, but due to the thickness of the barrel compared to the cap, it is not quite as easy to see. When raised to any decent light source however, the barrel almost glows from the light behind it, and reveals the lower piston assembly and the level of ink remaining. Having used the M800 for a long time, I think that it is fair to say that although it was stated that you could gauge the ink level by looking at it in light, it was a lot harder to do than with a simple ink window. I think that this is a good alternative; revealing the level of ink remaining whilst keep the barrel seamless (not a huge fan of ink windows on such beautiful pens).

post-122828-0-65425400-1460896790_thumb.jpgpost-122828-0-89005600-1460896796_thumb.jpg

Rounding this section up comes the trim colour. The palladium plating compliments the blue wonderfully, working, at least in my opinion, a lot better than the gold trims of the M800 (resulting in 4 colours simultaneously going on on the pen). As with all other Pelikans, I think that the designers got it just right when thinking about the amount of trimming to put on the pen. The three sets of trim bands highlight the different parts of the pen, without drawing your attention away from the barrel. Although some might say that the piston turning knob would look better when in the same finish as the rest of the barrel, I don't agree, finding it a welcome change which stops balances out the standoutish nature of the barrel wonderfully.

The rhodium plated nib, is as you would expect from Pelikan, lovely to look at with and without ink all over it.

post-122828-0-98826900-1460896808_thumb.jpg

Having never owned a Blue'O'Blue I cannot comment on the barrel similarities, but from the pictures, it looks like this model might have used a slightly lighter shade of the same material.

Overall, the appearance of this pen is absolutely gorgeous. It has instantly become one of my favourite looking pens in my collection, just behind my SE Paragon. Given that unless you are a collector, the barrel of this pen is likely the main reason for purchasing this pen, I think it certainly does enough to make it worth the extra money.

post-122828-0-82681300-1460896814_thumb.jpg

Fit and Finish

As always, the quality of construction of the Pelikan Souveran line is virtually second to none. All seams are perfectly flush with their connecting surface, no discrepencies in the finish, and the internal components and threads that are not visible seem to work brilliantly. The cap threads are perfectly smooth, and have very little slack at all. As well as this, although it is a minor detail, it is easy to line up the nib with the clip when capped, at least in my case, though this may very depending on how tightly your nib unit is screwed into the body.

As always, I continue to be content with the excellent manufacturing quality of Ze Germanz.

Filling System

Pelikan's pistons are famous for being some of the highest quality in the world. This is definitely still true in my model. Though slightly more force is required to turn the piston than say that of my Lamy 2000M and CH92, it is certainly still smooth and even, with no thread lag anywhere in the process.

As I have said before, the piston filling mechanism is my preferred system, although I am increasingly liking vacuum fillers from the likes of Pilot and Visconti. I feel it offers the right amount of capacity with the right amount of quality you would expect from a higher priced pen. Though many might disagree and argue that pistons are more difficult to clean out and more the polarising ink window subject always comes to bear, I still believe that it certainly does more to justify the price of the pen than simply sticking a converter into the body (looking at you Caran d'Ache and GVFC). Whilst Pelikan piston mechanisms tend to be fairly average in terms of capacity compared to some other pens; OMAS Paragon, MB149 etc, I would gladly take the reduced capacity in favour of the quality that comes with it.

Ergonomics

This is my only real gripe point with the M800 in general. Personally, I think that the threads of the section are too low and too sharp, meaning that I have to have a completely different grip on this pen than on many of my other usual writers. Furthermore, the flare at the end of the section is not exactly super comfortable to hold. I think that if the section was a couple of mm longer then all my concerns here would be thrown out, but at the same time, many of these likely won't apply to you, as I grip with 4 fingers, meaning that my positioning on the section is always somewhat different to other users'.

This is an area that I think should be taken least heed of in reviews, given the variety of different grip styles everyone uses and the sizes of peoples hands, the generic YMMV concept is far more complicated than other elements of the pen. However, as it is a review, I feel that not putting in what I think about the comfort of using a writing instrument would be somewhat improper.

Nib Performance

In recent times, Pelikan nibs have appeared to have gained a notoriety for their inconsistency of both sizing and finish quality. In my case, the nib was a fine, and I think it stayed fairly true to this size when compared to the other European pens that I have. Though, as you might be able to see in the image, the Pelikan is definitely a drier writer than any of my other pens, so I am not sure whether the nib will stay true to the line width after I have marginally increased the flow.

The experience is smooth though, with a pleasant feedback from the nib given that it is a fine. Under magnification it doesn't look as though the tines are misaligned much, and because I write in a strange angle, this alignment works in my favour.

As I've said about flow, it isn't exactly gushing, to the point where I would say it is almost starved at times, and it certainly doesn't write quite as wet as I usually like my pens, so I will certainly be altering that sooner or later.

Being an M800 nib, it is almost a nail, with absolutely no fun flare to the nib at all. Personally I don't mind this, as I rarely use flourishes, but I can understand why many would prefer something that bounces due to the enjoyment it brings to the writing experience more often than not.

Closing Thoughts and Conclusion

As my a part of my birthday splurge, I couldn't be happier with this pen. It met all the expectations regarding finish and nib performance, and is a highly suitable replacement for my old M800 I rid myself of earlier this year. Now all I need Pelikan to do is release a decent M1000 finish and I will have completed the European flagship group :lol:.

Perhaps in time I will grow to like the ergonomics of the pen enough to fit it into my always carry rotation alongside my Homo Sapiens and Paragon, I never really used my old M800 enough because I simply didn't like the finish at all. Either way, this is a pen that I doubt I will be getting rid of at any point in the foreseeable future.

Regarding price. I paid £330 for this pen, from a great company in the UK called The Writing Desk. I have found their prices to be fairly competitive with La Couronne du Comte and others even after applying the numerous 10% discount codes, as well as the fact that they test all fountain pens before they dispatch them to make sure that they are smooth and working properly. For you Americans, I am aware that you are basically shifted by Pelikan through substantially higher prices than in the UK (I recall seeing Massdrop offer still being higher than the highest priced UK seller...and we pay VAT...), so I would advise if you want to buy the pen, looking to Europe for your purchase might be more financially efficient.

What else could I have gotten for the price? GVFC, Caran d'Aches, second hand Montblancs and Aurora immediately come to mind. At this price point, you are not losing much between the manufacturers, majority will have gold nibs, many will have pistons, and most will have rather fine finishes. Personally, I already own both a 146 and 149, and have an Aurora on order. Value wise, I think that the Pelikan is an easy sell; spectacular material and construction, the best piston in the world (arguably), large gold nib, large sized pen and great customer service coverage. I can't think of many other pens in this price that offer as many things as the M805 does.

post-122828-0-33259600-1460896803_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• sannidh

• Merackon

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your photographs really show off the blue material, Merackon, and this is a great review. I've been wondering about the metal ring at the end of the section on Pelikan models. Next to the nib. Why is that there? It seems like it would corrode easily.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Very nice review and pictures!

I bought mine with a Fine nib, as my other Pelikans have broader nibs (Medium, Broad Italic, and Broad Architect Point) so I thought I'd round out the range. I was surprised at just how fine and dry it writes out of the box, especially since the others are all nice and wet. I'll get it adjusted by a nibmeister at the upcoming Chicago show.

I posted some pictures of mine, including the below picture next to an Aurora Mare, at this link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307080-first-pictures-of-my-vibrant-blue/

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8FE4AB5C-D847-4F70-AF35-0186ABDF2E7A%7D/origpict/VB4.JPG

Very nice review and pictures!

I bought mine with a Fine nib, as my other Pelikans have broader nibs (Medium, Broad Italic, and Broad Architect Point) so I thought I'd round out the range. I was surprised at just how fine and dry it writes out of the box, especially since the others are all nice and wet. I'll get it adjusted by a nibmeister at the upcoming Chicago show.

I posted some pictures of mine, including the below picture next to an Aurora Mare, at this link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307080-first-pictures-of-my-vibrant-blue/

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8FE4AB5C-D847-4F70-AF35-0186ABDF2E7A%7D/origpict/VB4.JPG

Haha perfect! You just demonstrated the pattern similarities between them I was trying to describe!

Yeah, I have a feeling that the tip is too close together on mine.

What ink are you thinking of loading into yours?

Edited by Merackon

Your photographs really show off the blue material, Merackon, and this is a great review. I've been wondering about the metal ring at the end of the section on Pelikan models. Next to the nib. Why is that there? It seems like it would corrode easily.

I honestly don't know about that! I have never seen an explanation personally. I think it is primarily a highlight for the trim even when it is uncapped. It is palladium plated, whether or not that has a direct affect on the corrosion resistance I can't remember from secondary school chemistry, but if it does, then it should be fairly resistant, as palladium, like some other Pt group elements is not overly reactive (at least I am pretty sure this is the case).

Again, I think it is purely for looks, but I am not completely sure.

What ink are you thinking of loading into yours?

I chose Iroshizuku Kon Peki, which matches the pen color fairly well. It's not my favorite ink, and I probably won't refill with it, but it just called to me this time.

Great review of a great pen. The Pelikan M800 in any guise is a winner, irrespective of colour etc.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

However, temptation overruled caution after I saw Dan Smith's Instagram image of the pen and read a review from a blogger, combined with the fact that blue is my absolute favourite colour of course.

Glad I could help push you over the edge.

Thanks for sharing. Really nice review. Gorgeous pen! Enjoy writing with it!

Happy Writing!, Mainecoon

Dreams are presentiments of what you are able to accomplish (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

Great review and photos! Congrats on the new pen.

My experience with M800's is similar to yours: Pelikan remains true to the size indicated (for european makers) and, surprisingly, they are a bit dry (at least drier than I'd like, compared to my other birds). I've seen only one wet M800 and that is a F that belongs to my son.

Do you mind sharing where you get the coupons for the Writing Desk? I tried to find them but no luck.

Enjoy your pen.

whichwatch : Lovely pic :)...Can you post a nib comparison pic of the Mare with the 805 ?

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

whichwatch : Lovely pic :)...Can you post a nib comparison pic of the Mare with the 805 ?

Sure thing. Here you are. The Pelikan M805 Vibrant Blue on the left is a Fine, the Aurora Mare on right is a Medium. Note that if you click on the photos, they should enlarge.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BD218C0E8-2040-4BB0-BA8C-D2FCD3E87F54%7D/origpict/C1.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B64CF7849-7084-4DED-AF4B-D13B5F6BB512%7D/origpict/C2.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B17F6460C-B03B-4E17-8FB8-3AB43059886D%7D/origpict/C3.JPG

Edited by whichwatch

Again, a modern Pelikan easily beaten by an atemporal Aurora in many respects (aesthetics not included), from construction materials to writing pleasure!

plumista

Again, a modern Pelikan easily beaten by an atemporal Aurora in many respects (aesthetics not included), from construction materials to writing pleasure!

plumista

If there were a m800 sized Optima, there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind on which I would get. But, as of right now, I find Aurora's a bit too small for my tastes.

Sure thing. Here you are. The Pelikan M805 Vibrant Blue on the left is a Fine, the Aurora Mare on right is a Medium. Note that if you click on the photos, they should enlarge.

Thank you, whichwatch :)

The Mare does look enticing...with its golden trims

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

I don't think it will. I have a several years old M800 that has the same ring and it has seen a lot of use. No corrosion.