Experiences Of Noodler's Navy

Uncial

I was wondering if you could post your experiences of Noodler's Navy. I saw this ink some time ago and I always liked that shading to the turquoise green range so I thought I would really like this ink. I bought it very recently, sadly got one of the plastic bottles (there seem to be loads of these in circulation still) but was very disappointed with the ink. I like the colour, but it is so deeply saturated that there is no shading to it at all. I don't have it in a particularly wet writer, in fact I put it in a slightly dry pen for the sake of the shading. I know sometimes that inks have to be reformulated, but couldn't see any thread where this might be the case, so I was wondering if anyone else had bought it recently and whether it demonstrated shading or not. I'm tempted to dilute it slightly to see what happens and would like to hear also if anyone has done this and if it had any adverse effects on behaviour (as it is the behaviour is great).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Uncial

• Cyber6

• juulz

Have Navy but haven't used for a long, long time. My bottle is glass if that means anything. Don't remember much about shading but that is also a function of nib and paper.

Yes, try diluting. If using a cartridge or converter you can add water to them with a syringe otherwise use a sample type vial putting some Navy and water in. Adding water will bring out the green.

In my experience ink will get darker as it sits in the pen longer, probably from drying a bit.

My Noodler's Navy ink is from years ago, so it may not be exactly the same formula as yours is. But it's a great ink.

You should definitely try diluting it, if you want more shading. Just make sure you dilute a controlled amount of the ink and not the entire bottle. If it turns out that you like the results of your dilution of the ink even less than the original formulation of the ink you'll be glad you didn't dilute the entire bottle.

Noodler's Navy is a blue/black ink that shows what is clearly a blue component, unlike the blue/black inks of my youth which showed a greenish color. Noodler's Blue/Black ink shows that greenish color, just like the Sheaffer Skrip Blue/Black ink I remember from grammar school.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I have Noodler's Navy and Blue Black in glass also from many, many years ago. The Navy I am looking at my writing samples is very greenish, doesn't shade at all. The blue black has a tinge of green as well; they're virtually the same color but the latter is much more saturated or darker.

Somewhere around here Sandy1 has a dilution guide. Noodler's Navy is IMO a perfect ink for diluting. You can add quite a bit of water and still have a rich and saturated ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My bottle of Navy is very nice, with some shading, too. It is a bit brighter than those I've seen in reviews. In my experience, Noodler's inks can vary across batches. Perhaps yours is a bit more saturated than mine.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Noodler's Blue/Black ink shows that greenish color, just like the Sheaffer Skrip Blue/Black ink I remember from grammar school.

That Sheaffer Skrip Blue/Black color, although not my favorite, has a prodigious effect on my memory, taking me back many decades. A patient not long ago filled out his paperwork with this ink, which was instantly recognizable and gave me many antiquarian, anti-computer-like feelings.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Noodler's Navy was my first bottled ink that I purchased last month. For me, it definitely shows some shading depending on how fast I'm writing, but for the most part it is a Navy Blue as described. I have not really seen the green tinge I read in a lot of reviews yet.

I've used it in a Pilot Metropolitan (with plumix nib), Noodler's Ahab, and the Ahab with a Goulet 1.5 nib. It is while practicing with the Ahab flex that I saw some variation. With the Metropolitan, it is a bit lighter in color. Now, with the 1.5 stub nib and the Ahab Feed ... it is a very dark and saturated Navy blue. It kinda surprised me as my experience with the Pilot Stub/Italic was that it made whatever ink I was using (pilot blue and Blue-Black) lighter in color compared to the original Fine Nib.

Mine also came in the plastic bottle... :mellow:

I'll see if I can get some pics in the upcoming days.

Picture from MHPHOTO... You can certainly see the shading on a flex pen..

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/220469-noodlers-navy/

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersNavyShading.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 9 months later...

Just tested a sample of this in my quest for a "favorite" blue. I was shocked to see it was a dark teal, until I came here! It is a beautiful color, but not "Navy" blue, as in indigo denim jeans... It really is pretty, though. I put it next to Sailor Yama-dori and Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine and all three were very close in saturation, the Aquamarine the most green, then the Yama-dori and finally the Navy going toward blue...

I scanned the page, but it came out so far off that I can't post it in all conscience.

Unical, do you have ghost blue? I'd love to see Navy and Ghost Blue.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ah, good. Ghost Blue will increase the shading (but I don't have any writings to prove that). Navy is also a fairly decent mixing ink because it is so wonderfully saturated.