When Will The New Montblanc Ultra-Black Ink Be Released ?

Patrick L

There were some talks some weeks ago concerning the release a new Montblanc ink in April , it was supposed to be " Mont Blanc Ultra Black ink " if I remember well. Does anyone has any update concerning this ink ?

All the best

Patrick

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Patrick L

• max dog

• wijko

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the news - I can't wait to see it.

It reminds me of that episode of Father Ted where they discuss the colour of socks "oh, it's not normal black socks, theese are black socks for priests, which are really, really black!" (or however it goes.)

Tough beans. I just phoned a boutique here and they said "Yes, they knew of course exactly what you were talking about" but it hasn't yet been issued (to them, first, as usual) and they have no idea when (as usual). Like next month is also "after the 1st of April" and all that.

Groan

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the news - I can't wait to see it.

It reminds me of that episode of Father Ted where they discuss the colour of socks "oh, it's not normal black socks, theese are black socks for priests, which are really, really black!" (or however it goes.)

:lol:

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up on my comment on blackness with an actual link (not to the ink, I'm afraid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E599NjWD0Ek

It reminds me of a Chinese who refused to use my Parker Quink black ink on account of it being just being very very dark blue.

Well, that person was pretty much right, although I'd say Quink Black is actually a gray ink, not a dark blue ink.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

How do you go from black to ultra black? Not a big fan of black inks (preferring grey or blue-blank inks that can shade), but someone enlighten me on how to make black more black.

Is it just a matter of going from matte black to more shiny black in the blackness scale?

Edited by max dog

How do you go from black to ultra black? Not a big fan of black inks (preferring grey or blue-blank inks that can shade), but someone enlighten me on how to make black more black.

Is it just a matter of going from matte black to more shiny black in the blackness scale?

This one is more of a grey ink than black, as far as I've heard. I haven't tested it, even though I have it at home.

Against the light it shows some red, just like the body of a Meisterstuck 149.

I'll try to post a picture this weekend.

A collector of inks, currently doing my own ink challenge.

IG: mcvanwijk1

" This more is more of a grey ink than black , as far as I've heard"

Hi wijko,

Were you talking about the new Montblanc ultra black ink ?

All the best

Patrick

Blackness depends a lot on the paper and the pen...that being said, there are some inks which are legends for being dark dark dark. I have found that in most cases, Noodler's Old Manhattan is the blackest of the blacks, followed closely by (wait for it) Noodler's Black. There is no sheen to any of them (which makes them look more like graphite and less like a velvet black). Other people have their favorites, but I like a matte dark dark black like the Noodler's ones.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Well, I got mine yesterday. I'd say it has a touch of teal to it. The question remains... what makes a black "ultra black"? To judge better -- and to compare it with other blacks -- we need more pens, more papers, more inks ... and more lightings!

But we all know that and this is just my first impression. More later, in a more detailed review...

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MB%20Ultra%20Black_First.jpg

Thanks for posting the writing samples. I have the mb mystery black and it looks like very dark, dark, grey. I will try a bottle of the mb perm black to see what true black is like.

This one is more of a grey ink than black, as far as I've heard. I haven't tested it, even though I have it at home.

Against the light it shows some red, just like the body of a Meisterstuck 149.

I'll try to post a picture this weekend.

If the ink shows some red in the black like the pen does that would be interesting.

Now I may be an exception "to the rule" but I've always liked blacks which are not "!00%" blacks. I like to see -- and/or have the chance to try and conceive" what's in there along with black, like purple, red, blue etc. Avocados, eclipses... you name it. Of course, paper and everything else plays a big role here too....

Mike

Dear Mike,

Thanks a lot for your review . In fact I should have already thanked you back on the 16th April when you phoned to a shop to query about the release date of this new ink after reading my post. Sorry about that Mike.

To return back to your review, I was hoping that this ink would be the blackest ink ever manufactured and I am disappointed to see that it's not an ultra black ink. For me an ultra black ink is extremely black and I do wonder why the Montblanc people decided to call this ink "ultra black" in the first place. There's obviously lots of black inks around nowadays and I don't see any reason to buy this ink in particular. We buy inks, not names. "Super ultra black" , "Mega black" , "Extreme black", "Exceptional black" , okay, but let's see the color first ...

All the best and thanks again

Patrick

Looking forward to this review MIke!

Well, I got mine yesterday. I'd say it has a touch of teal to it. The question remains... what makes a black "ultra black"? To judge better -- and to compare it with other blacks -- we need more pens, more papers, more inks ... and more lightings!

But we all know that and this is just my first impression. More later, in a more detailed review...

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MB%20Ultra%20Black_First.jpg

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

I finally did a test with the Montblanc Meisterstuck Ultra Black. I must say that I lave the blackness of the ink, with a little touch of red sheen in over saturated areas.

In this picture however the ink seems to be a bit toned down, while in reality it really looks black.

fpn_1468323154__img_6048.jpg

A collector of inks, currently doing my own ink challenge.

IG: mcvanwijk1

I didn't see it mentioned but Aurora Black usually gets put in the "real black" category. Also Noodler's X-feather is really black.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz