Pilot Model Difference?

DNC

I have found the Pilot Metropolitan to be an awesome fountain pen. I like it as much as some of my higher end fountain pens. Which leads me to ask, is there a big different in my entry level Pilot and the higher end Pilot models? If so, at what model level do you began to detect a difference?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DNC

• ink-syringe

• Pensei

• Algester

yes. My CH74 is $65 more than my Pilot Metropolitan. & I would unscientifically quantify my enjoyment of the pen as being at least that and then some. & I like my CH 912 (both of them) even more ... at a certain point you are paying exponentially more for less and less return, but I personally would put that point somewhere after the C74, which is a great bang for buck pen, in much the same way as the Metro is at the bottom of the scale, but these are all things that have to jive with what you want and need and so for everyone that point is someplace different.

Is there a difference. Of course there is. Does that difference matter to you enough to cause you to spend the scratch necessary to buy a more expensive model? How is anyone other than you able to answer that?

If you love your metro, desire nothing more, and it gets the job done. Enjoy.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Some folk are happy with hamburger and so see no point in buying steak.

It really depends on what pleases you. It really is that simple.

I enjoy more than just the writing aspects, things like ergonomics, fit & finish, beauty, materials, feel, sound, precision, history, artistry ...

My Website

IMO the big difference between the Metropolitan and the Pilot Custom series is the nibs.

The the steel nibs on the Metropolitan are wonderfully smooth but extremely firm, while the gold nibs on the Custom series are equally smooth and a little springy, and that makes all the difference to me.

The gold nibs feel so good that it's worth the extra cost.

Scientia potentia est.

I have, and enjoy, several Pilots up the ladder, but I think the Metropolitan is almost an industrial miracle in terms of performance for price. I don't really have an answer to your question, just praise for the Metro.

Ive had a new pilot metro for almost 2 years , now. I haven't used it because I can't stand that ugly little squeeze converter. If they give it a decent piston converter I'll be happy

Not sure why everyone hates on the squeezy converter.

The Parker 51, the Parker UK Duofold, Parker 45 all super durable bad ass workhorse pens came with squeezy converters.

Works, exchanges air for ink, it is reasonably easy to clean, holds a standard amount of ink, can't see the level? Well all my parkers are stained anyway. I can pretty much tell when the pen is running dry. Is it my favorite? no, but it works just fine.

This is up there with the "Pilot Con70 is hard to clean" complaint. Totally mystifying to me. I clean my con70 is less than minute. Heck the opening is wide enough that i can put the nozzle on spray and fill it and flick it clean like rinsing a cup.

LONG LIVE THE SQUEEZE

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. What is the difference in the Custom Heritage 91, 91 and 912?

CH912 and CH91, firstly the 912 is girthier I can feel the difference along with the 91, second NIB OPTIONS, 912 has a lot more nibs and the 91

92 it is a piston filler that seems to be using the M600? body by pelikan with a Pilot twist either way it has more pedestrian nibs than the 91 and 912 but it still is an overall good pen, personally I'll soon get one it is more or less the piston filler version of the 91

and then the nib size the number 10 nib is bigger than the number 5 nib

Edited by Algester

I would like to try a flagship model Pilot with a large gold soft medium or fine nib. I am not interested in a demonstrator or a fat pen like the Montblanc 149 (Anything smaller is fine). Please share your suggestions. Thank you.

DNC: no to the first question. And regarding the second, I think the CH 912 can properly be called a flagship model, and has the nice 10 nib, which I would call large. If you want the larger 15 nib, that moves you to the CH 743 or 823. The latter are larger, but probably not 149 large. I would have to look up the numbers to be sure on that, though. The 912 and the 823 or 743 are all very nice pens at a good price, with large gold nibs and a less emphatic presence than the MB (although equally attractive, in my opinion). The 912 and the 743 are also both distinguished by having the choice of a dizzying variety of nibs.

Edited by Pensei

You can also use an internet search to check Pilot, Pilot USA, various online retailers (Google and hit the shopping tab) and blogs for really easy to answer questions, such as the ones you asked.

Google will also return search results for here.

You can also use an internet search to check Pilot, Pilot USA, various online retailers (Google and hit the shopping tab) and blogs for really easy to answer questions, such as the ones you asked.

Google will also return search results for here.

Hi Ink, Thank you for your response. Yes, I have done that but most of the answers were older posts and some even confusing. I think it is okay to ask questions and not always depend on searching past information because as days pass a forum this size picks up members quickly, who bring with them new information and experiences as well as other members may have missed an opportunity to post on the subject as it flew by the previous time it was posted. If we just did searches for answers to our questions we would not have the latest information and these forums would be pointless as they would dry up overnight. Again, thank you for your response.

Given what most of you have posted I think I am going to order the Custom Heritage 912 tomorrow. Is this a pen you can change the nib if you desire to? Thank you.

The Metropolitan was my second pen, right after my Ahab. Although it writes unbelievably smooth, I never use it to the awkward step-down from the barrel as I tend to grip my pen a bit high. In order to hold it comfortably, I need to grab it way too low for my liking. That Custom 74, on the other end, is one of my favourite pen.

Mike L.

Given what most of you have posted I think I am going to order the Custom Heritage 912 tomorrow. Is this a pen you can change the nib if you desire to? Thank you.

Sort of. The nibs are friction fit and if you have another you can swap them but the key there is "have another"

It sounds to me like the 912 in SFM would fit you perfectly.

A 912 with a SM and fitted with a con70 is one of my go-to work pens.

Sort of. The nibs are friction fit and if you have another you can swap them but the key there is "have another"

It sounds to me like the 912 in SFM would fit you perfectly.

A 912 with a SM and fitted with a con70 is one of my go-to work pens.

Hi Ink, You have just described the pen I had decided to order. Thank you for your help. Wish me luck.

Hi Ink, You have just described the pen I had decided to order. Thank you for your help. Wish me luck.

The beauty of buying a Pilot is you need luck less frequently (in my experience).

Hope you enjoy. You'll still need luck from the shipping gods.

heh.