The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Question

visconti van gogh maxi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Toams

Toams

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:34

Hi all,

I have a question about the nib of Visconti Van Gogh Maxi ... the solid yellow version (Yellow Mandarin?).

I have an oportunity to buy this pen almost new for 200€ but it has the fine nib (14K). I tried broad one and it was perfect, little bit stubbish, what I like a lot.

So the question is, which type of nib fits in the Maxi? Is it the screw-in unit or the friction fit nib+feeder in the body?

Thanks

Architecture begins where engineering ends.
W. Gropius

Sponsored Content

#2 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2016 - 13:02

Those nib units screw into the section. But you can also pull out the nib and feed from the 'jacket' that holds them in place.

#3 Toams

Toams

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 13:07

Thanks, and the unit is the fat one or the thin one (like in Rembrandts)?

W. Gropius

#4 gclyn

gclyn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2016 - 13:09

I have a Maxi. s_t_e_v_e beat me to it, but he is correct. You can pull it the nib and feed to change it. However, I have a few Viscontis where the nib and feed are very snug. Had to use rubber gloves to get a good grip and "tease" it out...so be careful.

#5 Toams

Toams

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 15:50

So in the Maxi, there is no plastic "unit" with the feed and nib together which you could screw into the section?

I don´t want to pull the nibs (because of possible risk), I am used to screw units :)

W. Gropius

#6 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2016 - 18:59

it depends, the early ones had Nib units that cannot be screw out(I think those are adhesive set in the section), but the nib and feed are friction fit and can be removed by pulling out, these nib units do not show 2 cut outs around the nib collar area . Later production ones have the same screw out nib unit as the Wallstreet, Opera, Homo Sapien, etc. and have the two notch cut out on the nib unit collar for the removal tool, but can be screw out by hand also.

Edited by zchen, 15 April 2016 - 19:00.

#7 jhp

jhp

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 19:43

If you are talking about the Maxi with the screw on cap, then yes, there is a nib unit that screws into the section. From my experience, it can be VERY difficult to loosen. Once the nib unit is loosened from the section, the nib and feed pull out with very little effort. Note that if the nib and feed do come out while you are screwing out the nib unit, they are keyed, and only fit back into the nib unit one way.

Take your time. If it won't loosen, search fpn for ideas to loosen it up.

Good Luck!

Josh

#8 Toams

Toams

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 21:46

So my experience from yesterday, nib unit is VER VERY difficult to loosen. Going to look for the Visconti removal tool or such a thing, because I rather leave the feeder in one piece and undestroyed :)

W. Gropius

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, van gogh, maxi

Sponsored Content

|