Flexy Triumph?

Kiaxa

This question is a mild curiosity of mine but did Sheaffer make a flexible Triumph nib? I ask this because I have Triumph nib and to me it seems the only way you could get stiffer nib would be to cut an ink channel into a nail. But the nib is made of 14K gold which begs the question if they actually had a soft Triumph? I assume that the nib was gold because the nib was manufactured by casting (and gold is a good metal to cast with).

So is there a flexible Triumph nib or am I overthinking something that was simply an optimization of mass manufacturing?

Also I know the feather touch nibs exist but I love the look of the triumph nib and I just am curious if they come in flex

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• northstar

• AG_ORD

• Happy Harry

Marked FF3 if not mistaken.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Marked FF3 if not mistaken.

No; a FF3 nib is an open nib (nib style 3), and furthermore, that is a specific code for a fine nib (second 'F').

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

This question is a mild curiosity of mine but did Sheaffer make a flexible Triumph nib? I ask this because I have Triumph nib and to me it seems the only way you could get stiffer nib would be to cut an ink channel into a nail. But the nib is made of 14K gold which begs the question if they actually had a soft Triumph? I assume that the nib was gold because the nib was manufactured by casting (and gold is a good metal to cast with).

So is there a flexible Triumph nib or am I overthinking something that was simply an optimization of mass manufacturing?

Also I know the feather touch nibs exist but I love the look of the triumph nib and I just am curious if they come in flex

Nibs are not cast. Flexible Triumph nibs were offered, though by that time, flexible points were not in great demand, so they are scarce today.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

You can find some flexy Triumph nibs in Snorkel, 14K and PdAg are available, like FF5 or FM4.

Aloha Kiaxa, I own a Sheaffer Valiant with Triumph, 14k monochrome nib, (NOT Pdag). Nib size is etched FX5 on the underside of nib which I understand to mean: F=flexible, X5=extra fine.

I can attest this is a flexible, Triumph nib, (no wet noodle by any means, but decent line variation). Line thickness at flex pressure is a little thicker than a Namiki Falcon 14k SF; thinnest line is comparable to the Namiki.

Took photos on my phone but am having trouble posting...when I figure it out, I will post pics of pen/nib/writing sample.

Aloha,

AG_ORD

Aloha Kiaxa, I own a Sheaffer Valiant with Triumph, 14k monochrome nib, (NOT Pdag). Nib size is etched FX5 on the underside of nib which I understand to mean: F=flexible, X5=extra fine.

The 'X' means extra fine; the '5' is the type of nib. Nib style 5 is a sheath point ("Triumph") nib in gold.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Aloha kirchh and Freddy, thanks for the clarification regarding nib annotations. The funny thing with the Triumph nib I have is that it is a 14k one, but it is monochrome, without the two tone.

Is there a chart for all this codes? Not only triumph nibs. For example what is S1? I know it's stub but what is 1?

Is there a chart for all this codes? Not only triumph nibs. For example what is S1? I know it's stub but what is 1?

1 is a stainless steel flat (open) nib.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Aloha kirchh and Freddy, thanks for the clarification regarding nib annotations. The funny thing with the Triumph nib I have is that it is a 14k one, but it is monochrome, without the two tone.

Might have had its platinum/palladium plating polished off, or it might never have been a 2-tone nib. Sometimes, a look at the underside or in the slit will reveal which.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Aloha kirchh, it appears this nib never had the two-tone platinum/palladium finish...must be just one of those weird, one of many off-shoots, of Sheaffer nibs, lol.

Thanks again for sharing your Sheaffer knowledge.

Aloha kirchh, it appears this nib never had the two-tone platinum/palladium finish...must be just one of those weird, one of many off-shoots, of Sheaffer nibs, lol.

Thanks again for sharing your Sheaffer knowledge.

I have seen Triumph nibs that do not appear ever to have had plating on the forepart. I know I have at least one example -- an incredibly flexible gold nib on a Snorkel pen. Perhaps the most responsive Triumph nib I've ever handled (if I get a chance, I'll pull it out and post force/spread data). I suppose it's possible that there was a concern that the plating, which is somewhat more brittle than the gold alloy beneath, could flake off under the flexing action of the nib, but that's just speculation.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

1 is a stainless steel flat (open) nib.

--Daniel

Thank you Daniel for your reply, though this is the image I got from my friend whom I have bought the pen, the pen yet to be sent to me, but the chalk marks are very clear.

http://s5.postimg.org/mila0f19j/Imperial_IV_S1a.jpg

Thank you Daniel for your reply, though this is the image I got from my friend whom I have bought the pen, the pen yet to be sent to me, but the chalk marks are very clear.

http://s5.postimg.org/mila0f19j/Imperial_IV_S1a.jpg

Here, we are talking about nib type codes etched on earlier nibs, not chalk marks.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

Here, we are talking about nib type codes etched on earlier nibs, not chalk marks.

--Daniel

This was my question, if there is a table or chart for all this nib "codes" and/or "types"?

Best regards.

This was my question, if there is a table or chart for all this nib "codes" and/or "types"?

Best regards.

Freddy posted a link up above.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Freddy posted a link up above.

--Daniel

I had read that before, it only talks about snorkel nibs.

Thank you anyways.

Best regards.