Smooth Chinese Pens?

oberyn

What are some smooth Chinese pens? I'm planning to start collecting them. And where do you buy your Chinese pens? I know you can buy them from eBay, but are there other places you can buy them from? Are there Chinese demonstrators?

Edited by oberyn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oberyn

• Lamyrada

• amarjit

• gzp

baoer 388, baoer 051 are smooth to use. Most pens are bought by me are from Aliexpress. None are eyedroppers.

baoer 388, baoer 051 are smooth to use. Most pens are bought by me are from Aliexpress. None are eyedroppers.

What's your experience with Aliexpress?

What's your experience with Aliexpress?

Most of the item purchased were received. Some were damaged a little bit but not too much. All and all it was good experience buying from Aliexpress.

Most of the item purchased were received. Some were damaged a little bit but not too much. All and all it was good experience buying from Aliexpress.

Ok. Thank you. That's good to know. :)

If you want smooth, you have to look for a M nib. Many/most of the Chinese pens come with a F nib.

In general, the finer the nib the scratchier it will write, because the finer nib will follow the texture of the paper.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

From what I gathered, most Chinese prospective customers consider smoothness is the only determining factor of a pen's merit, this leads to the newer manufacturers focussing on that, to the point that a proportion of them employ the "baby bottom" grinding method: works great at the shops, not quite as great at home. So this is a factor worth considering.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Many Chinese companies grind their nibs for the fine short strokes needed for writing Chinese. That grind does not work so well for scripts with longer, looping strokes, hence the reputation for being bad writers. Use these pens to write Chinese and they are fine. Take your best nib for writing English and write Chinese and it will result in a mess.

R. Pirre Paul is a Taiwanese company. Their pens are solid writers. Their M nibs are close to Western thicknesses. The examples I have write English and Arabic extremely well.

I also have pens made by Lotus which write well.

I've had good experience with Jinhao 159, X450 and X750 - all medium nibs.

I agree completely. The #6 nibs on these are easy to change out to stubs etc. I you want that

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I get most of my Chinese fountain pens through Ebay. Very few "Smooth Chinese" are available.

Most live in Seattle. I find the small nibs of the Jinahoa x250 and 500 are smooth writers. For the very small prices, I don't have high expectations for Chinese fountain pens. I am generally pleased with the results.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Yangsheng Medium Nib, < $5.00, Free shipping, smooth writer, writes like a Fine. Ebay of course.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/Chinese%20Pens/YangSheng%20639_zpsr4fghmou.jpg

Edited by Lamyrada

Yangsheng Medium Nib, < $5.00, Free shipping, smooth writer, writes like a Fine. Ebay of course.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/Chinese%20Pens/YangSheng%20639_zpsr4fghmou.jpg

That looks beautiful. Is there no model number/name? Just Yangsheng?

Looks like it is the Yangsheng 639, based on an auction listing I found. Although there seem to be other pens where name of the maker is spelled Yongsheng rather than Yangsheng. I think I read that this is another spelling for Wing Sung.

Looks like it is the Yangsheng 639, based on an auction listing I found. Although there seem to be other pens where name of the maker is spelled Yongsheng rather than Yangsheng. I think I read that this is another spelling for Wing Sung.

Model #639 from seller : I love this pen. Smooth and never skips and is also pretty. Rating is grate for this seller. :o

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/Chinese%20Pens/Yangsheng_zpshtrbbnh1.jpg

Edited by Lamyrada

Detail:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/Chinese%20Pens/621161caf27541585289c8826da2ec1e_zps5crejvil.jpg

I have many Chinese pens including Jinhao, Baoer, Hero, Wing Sung. I've generally been happy with the nibs. A few arrived with tines not aligned but that's easily remedied. A few needed a bit of polishing with micro-mesh but then, for the price, I didn't expect perfection. Most wrote well right out of the package.

One of my all-time favorite writers is a Kaigelu 316. It was supposed to have a medium nib but it writes more like a fine which is fine by me. It's not glass smooth but it's close.

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

I'll definitely check these suggestions out. :D

Does anyone have experience with the Crocodile 600? I can't find anything about it.

Edited by Oberyn