Stalogy Notebooks ? Or Alternatives ?

frogbaby

I love Tomoe and I hear that the Stalogy is "like" Tomoe and "similar" to Tomoe but no one has identified it as Tomoe.

I wonder f anyone can shed some light on this ?

If it isn't Tomoe, how similar is it ?

Also, I have found the Seven Seas writer but at the moment it is out of stock and even if it was in stock, 7mm lines are too large.

Are there any other Tomoe journals /notebooks that have smaller lines / grids and are signature / sewn so they can lay flat ?

Stalogy is signature / sewn but I am not certain about the paper

I use and love the Hobonichi Cousin and would love to get a similar A5 notebook with the same paper and a smallish grid.

Any ideas or pointers appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogbaby

• stevechang

• da vinci

• bdez

Paperforfountainpens.com was started by FPN member Epistler and sells tomoe river blank hardbound books. Both white and cream are an option. Unlined and you can put your own guide underneath the page as you write. He has two sizes. Made with the same TR paper and just as wonderful as the Seven Seas books, IMHO.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Stalogy does not use Tomoe paper.

I use a Stalogy notebook at work and it works well for my needs. It takes ink nicely, but you may see a bit of feathering with wet inks or wet writers, but only if you look for it and look very close. The paper is a bit thicker than Tomoe and it's grids are smaller than that of Hobonichi. However, the paper Stalogy uses does not display any sheen.

I would not use Stalogy to keep an ink log, but it's fantastic to use at the office.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

The Design Y looks beautiful but the large notebook is the only one that would work for me and it is $172 in my loonie. I bet it's worth it but I just am not going to pay that kind of money for a notebook,

I don't like the idea of feathering on the Stalogy so it looks like the paperforfpens might be the one. It looks like a well made book and it is a good value at $40USD.

I guess I will have to learn to get use to paper guides or step up my handwriting game and learn to write in the nude, by which I mean, on paper without lines :-)

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the same book as Nanami Seven Seas version ???

Nanami journals are made with 52gsm Tomoe. This is the slightly heavier-weight version of Tomoe at 68gsm.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Looks good. I like the idea of heavier but still thin Tomoe.

Any chance of a 6-6.3 mm lined and / or blank version ?

Looks good. I like the idea of heavier but still thin Tomoe.

Any chance of a 6-6.3 mm lined and / or blank version ?

I haven't decided whether to do a graph or ruled next at this moment. The graph would probably be 5mm graph, but the common size for ruling is 7mm? I have stapled notebooks at 7mm currently, and those seem to sell well. Blank version would probably come last, as there are more options available for the blank notebooks. :)

Is the same book as Nanami Seven Seas version ???

Hi Bdez, this one is made with 68gsm paper (thicker and hence less shadowing/ghosting) and gray dotted.

6mm would be terrific!

to me 6 is the sweet spot

7 is too wide and 5 too narrow

moleskine (which i do not like since their newer notebook paper had gone way down in quality) uses 6mm and leuchtturm which i do like also uses 6mm

i am intrigued by the idea of tomoe paper that is still quite thin but thicker and shows less ghosting

I haven't decided whether to do a graph or ruled next at this moment. The graph would probably be 5mm graph, but the common size for ruling is 7mm? I have stapled notebooks at 7mm currently, and those seem to sell well. Blank version would probably come last, as there are more options available for the blank notebooks. :)

Please go for the graph! :) :thumbup:

The best TR journal I have ever had is a Design Y journal by Yoshino-san. Not cheap, but the best, in every way.

Can't agree with this more. My collection of 5 of them supports this theory! LOL.

EDIT - I have 6 of them. OO!

Edited by RPB

Hi Bdez, this one is made with 68gsm paper (thicker and hence less shadowing/ghosting) and gray dotted.

Thanks muchly ... I'm in!!!!!! Just what I needed ... More notebooks ... Oh well ... He who dies with the most notebooks wins