To Montblanc Or Not To Montblanc

TheRealMikeDr

Famous last words!

Glad you found something perfectly suited and a gift for your wife. Joy all 'round.

Thank you kind sir or madam!

A good choice of pens.

After buying and using most of the kinds of pens put forth as paragons here, I have found that three kinds of pens are the best and only ones worth considering if writing is what you want. Parker 51, Montblanc and Pelikan. Of these, Pelikan is just not a comfortable pen for me except in ballpoint. If fancy stuff is what you want and an ever changing spectrum of the nouveau is what you are really after, buy the other stuff too. I think this really suits many of the posters here, because I think they want a continuing involvement in pen issues, and the other makes offer a fertile field.

Thank you!

I've had very good luck thus far with my pens - the only one I have that doesn't write well is a Baoer 100 - very small sweet spot on that one.

I'm looking forward to years of testing with the Montblanc!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealMikeDr

• Arkanabar

• pajaro

• Don Quijote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a great pen store in the Venetian, or at least use to be. They carry more than just MB. I actually first saw my "grail" pen in person there...A Visconti La Bibbia.

There is a great pen store in the Venetian, or at least use to be. They carry more than just MB. I actually first saw my "grail" pen in person there...A Visconti La Bibbia.

Sadly I think that's now defunct. I searched both high and low (figuratively) and it would seem the Pawn Shops or the MB Boutiques are the two options one has for buying a pen on the strip.

Just get down on your knees and thank the Lord that your wife likes Coach and not Louis Vuitton or, God forbid, Hermès! :D

I think your platinum 146 is a very nice choice. Did you pick up any hard-to-find ink?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Just get down on your knees and thank the Lord that your wife likes Coach and not Louis Vuitton or, God forbid, Hermès! :D

I think your platinum 146 is a very nice choice. Did you pick up any hard-to-find ink?

Ha - yes - we take our victories where we get them! I picked up a bottle of Montblanc Twilight Blue - it's a nice sort of Blue/Black ink.

Further rationalization (if necessary): the newer MB have screw in nib units.

Right! Sadly though I've come to find out my cap has a little wobble when screwed on. It goes away if I tighten it hard I don't want to tighten it too much and risk cracking the resin. I don't anticipate this being a long term problem as I handle my pens very carefully but I would expect more from MB.

Congrats on the purchase, great to see it worked out in the end. That pen should serve for many years to come.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Right! Sadly though I've come to find out my cap has a little wobble when screwed on. It goes away if I tighten it hard I don't want to tighten it too much and risk cracking the resin. I don't anticipate this being a long term problem as I handle my pens very carefully but I would expect more from MB.

Congratulations on your new 146! My 146 (which has become my favorite pen to use) had the same cap wobble for about the first year. Now it seems to have fixed itself and the cap stays firmly in place.

You and I think alike. I still firmly believe that the 146 and 149 are awesome pens. Let's just hope they don't tinker with them and try to radically change them. When the Heritage 1912 came out I looked at it and thought "What a piece of junk" but it grew on me and now I own one and find it to be fantastic and well engineered.

I do not have a high opinion of the Boheme series, Starwalker series or the M series. I think they are fashion trends that will not stand the test of time. I'm optimistic about the new Rouge Et Noir. If the nib is anything like the 1912 I'm in for a great writing experience. There are a few design features about it that I would change but overall it's an attractive pen. I think the Heritage series is a step in the right direction for Montblanc.

I don't have an issue with their leather goods. I think they are accessories...for their pens! The watches and other jewelry is another story. Montblanc should remain a fine writing/stationary company. I wouldn't be interested in a pen made by Rolex. S.T. DuPont is probably the exception to the rule. Although I only own lighters from them.

The remaining difference between us is that I don't know if an MB of any sort truly would suit me. If I wind up fabulously wealthy, with significant disposable income, I'll probably look into getting a used MB 146, and if I like it, having it ground to stub or CI.

But I'm sure I'll try either an ebonite Indian 3-in-1 or ebonite Konrad long before that happens.

Congratulations on your new 146! My 146 (which has become my favorite pen to use) had the same cap wobble for about the first year. Now it seems to have fixed itself and the cap stays firmly in place.

Thanks!

That's good news on the wiggly cap issue - maybe the threads need to break in a bit??? Either way it's a minor nit for me and doesn't detract from my enjoyment whilst using the pen.

Akanabar, try the medium-large '50-60's 146, it will have either a semi-flex or a maxi-semi-flex nib. I prefer it to my @ '70 146 with a 'true' regular flex nib.....the more modern MB's have a 'Springy' nib. A bit more tine bend but not as much tine spread as a 'true' regular flex.

There are also very nice and affordable 2xx '50-60's MB's with that era's great nib.

I have trans-mailed a 3xx something, with a semi-flex nib....I'd not expected the school pen 3xx's to have a semi-flex...I have one that is a nail.....so suggest the 2xx's more.

The cost of the Vintage MB's are not more than a modern medium cost pen of the $150 range or lower. I wasn't 'chasing' MB's but have seen 2xx pens that are real affordable.

Do look here in the sales section....because they can tell you if it is semi-flex, regular flex or a nail.

I did chase some MB nibs from the '50's. Only for the nib. I lucked into the first a 234 1/2 deluxe KOB (the regular 234 1/2 a standard pen is much more affordable...even if I did get mine cheap as part of a Pelikan lot at a live auction) a semi-flex by pure ignorance, the second ...between semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex I'd not let a Dealer take that nib..standard sized, heavy rolled gold 742 @ 160 euro ....and finally got Maxi-semi-flex on a medium large 146 part of a live auction lot and cheap..

I do like the medium large one more than my '70's Large 146.Near mint, 150 Euro live auction. The medium large one has better balance and a better nib.

Look at a 2xx MB for your next Pen of the Quarter, and you won't need to be well to do to have one.

I do have a New MB...my wife bought it for me 1/3 off at a sale.....oddly, I couldn't afford a pen, ink or paper for 3/4ths of a year....but that Woolf is very pretty, and the nib's bling is My Eyes Only....it won't reach across the table. Good so....

There was an MB I looked at that I couldn't 'quite' afford that day....The Brandenburg...back when the dollar was much lower than today..

18,000 euro...or a then $26,000. :rolleyes:

Can't afford it today either :huh: ....how odd.

Do buy one of the Lambrau pen books...the old one from 1990 will do for general info. (I can't afford the newer 'used' ones myself. Not as an upgrade.)

I had no idea about that 234 1/2 Deluxe I bought until I looked in that book...that I got after the pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

For the price of a MB 149, you can get:

-a Pilot custom 823, plus

-a Pelikan M805 Stresemann, plus

-a Lamy 2000 metal, plus

-3 bottles of Iroshizuku ink for them to write.

I have made my choice, but I had bought my MB in 1972, with my first paycheck!

And now I am glad to have the four, and some Iroshizuku ink as well..

For the price of a MB 149, you can get:

-a Pilot custom 823, plus

-a Pelikan M805 Stresemann, plus

-a Lamy 2000 metal, plus

-3 bottles of Iroshizuku ink for them to write.

I have made my choice, but I had bought my MB in 1972, with my first paycheck!

And now I am glad to have the four, and some Iroshizuku ink as well..

Well, there's one good pen in that lot.

You could buy a used 149. Save.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I tend to think that if I get any (relatively modern) MB, it'll be a used 146. I'm unlikely to get any sort of M8xx, cos I don't like heavy pens, and it's my understanding that M8xx and M1xxx Souverans use a brass piston mechanism. I already know that I don't like the L2k, cos the cap retention spring's ears annoy my thumb to no end.

It is going to be years before I get a pen that costs over $200, and I'm likely to stick with the cheap but very good sub-$100 pens like the Pilot CH74 and Platinum Century 3776.

Well, going into a MB store in Las Vegas will guarantee you will pay the highest possible price for the product. As I used to tell the guys I travelled to Vegas with: the lights don't stay on in Vegas because people are winning.

However, finding a good ink is within the realm of the possible and won't require a counterbalancing Coach purchase.

Buzz

Probably the MB store is my best consolation in Vegas. Try, not buy, except for ink. But the ink is placed in a MB bag, and She Who Must Be Obeyed is likely to want one from Coach, and not even want to look in my bag.

Ialso like Trevi fountain. Rome was a little disapponting in comparison.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

You could buy a used 149. Save.

Used pens in good condition are the way to go imho.

Truth be told I don't find the MB irresistible (I've got several "classic" cigar shaped pens) and could live without one - and frankly I think that maybe an older non-resin model may be better for me. And if my better half finds out she will have leverage for another trip to the Coach store for a bag she doesn't need. And quite frankly what kind of a knucklehead pays full retail for a silly Montblanc?

At least visit the store. It should be pretty.

And, now, let's make some enemies ! I have a Montblanc fountain pen. It is an heirloom from my late aunt. The quality is excellent. I feel no attraction what so ever. Take your favorite FP and write postcards : "Hi ! I'm in Vegas, and you aren't." :D

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !