To Montblanc Or Not To Montblanc

TheRealMikeDr

I'm headed to Vegas for a business trip in a few weeks and they have a few MB boutique stores. My dark side is telling me that I should get one (likely a 146) as payment for the suffering of being in Vegas for three days. I'm not a Vegas type person to say the least.

Truth be told I don't find the MB irresistible (I've got several "classic" cigar shaped pens) and could live without one - and frankly I think that maybe an older non-resin model may be better for me. And if my better half finds out she will have leverage for another trip to the Coach store for a bag she doesn't need. And quite frankly what kind of a knucklehead pays full retail for a silly Montblanc?

But nonetheless, despite all the checks in the debit column, part of me is compelled and a little excited about the proposition. Gah...

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealMikeDr

• Arkanabar

• pajaro

• Don Quijote

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should at least make the visit and test drive a few before making the decision to buy, no? Perhaps check out some of their inks too while you are there. Maybe one of those Boutiques will be running some store limited promos. You never know until you visit.

You will likely get a better return from the pen than you will from the slots. Go for it!

"You want to be a writer, don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen." ---Paul Simon

I certainly understand the desire to get something positive out of a trip to perdition. But the MB Boutique is more than likely going to be a disappointment. The sales staff is unlikely to include anyone at all knowledgeable about fountain pens, and all of their stock will be new pens. The people who contribute to FPN seem to in general feel that unless you are a dedicated LE collector, MB's best pens are the vintage ones.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a real pen store in Las Vegas these days. Pendora was considering opening one last year, but I don't know if she pursued it. You might contact her. Otherwise, perhaps you could plan to visit a pen shop, or a special on-line store, when you get home, as a reward for your tribulations. It would be a shame to buy a new MB there, and then find the pen was as unrewarding as the trip for which it was supposed to compensate.

ron

You should at least make the visit and test drive a few before making the decision to buy, no? Perhaps check out some of their inks too while you are there. Maybe one of those Boutiques will be running some store limited promos. You never know until you visit.

Right. I at least owe it to myself to walk into the store and have a look around. Certainly no harm can come from that!

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

Well - I would hope the pen would make the trip back home with me.

You will likely get a better return from the pen than you will from the slots. Go for it!

Excellent!

I certainly understand the desire to get something positive out of a trip to perdition. But the MB Boutique is more than likely going to be a disappointment. The sales staff is unlikely to include anyone at all knowledgeable about fountain pens, and all of their stock will be new pens. The people who contribute to FPN seem to in general feel that unless you are a dedicated LE collector, MB's best pens are the vintage ones.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a real pen store in Las Vegas these days. Pendora was considering opening one last year, but I don't know if she pursued it. You might contact her. Otherwise, perhaps you could plan to visit a pen shop, or a special on-line store, when you get home, as a reward for your tribulations. It would be a shame to buy a new MB there, and then find the pen was as unrewarding as the trip for which it was supposed to compensate.

ron

Gah - the voice of reason.

A 146 can be had here for much less. Check out the new heritage pens at the store (if they are not sold out). They are retro and seem to be quite popular. Priced around a 146 too. There are many threads and photos on the MB forum.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Indeed, but the act of the purchase.....

Your wife need never know :)

I've been collecting on and off for two decades. Just decided to jump into the MB pool. I've always wondered if they're priced more for their name than the quality, so we'll see.http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Boiseshan/Capture.jpg

Edited by Shannon

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Indeed, but the act of the purchase.....

Your wife need never know :)

Indeed. Or if she did it find out it would be best that she thinks I spent $50 on it :)

It depends on what you want for a nib.

I have three '50's MB's with great nibs, one is semi-flex, one between that and Maxi-semi-flex and one Maxi. I lucked into the first a standard sized 234 1/2 Deluxe, when I was totally ignorant of anything but a 146&9, and had not yet even held one. With that semi-flex KOB nib I decided I needed a maxi-semi-flex one from that era also.

I find the vintage medium large 146 (maxi-semi-flex) to be a great balanced pen; posted. I do also have a '70's 146....but in I'm not heavy into Large pens, it took me a while to get use to it. Even now I don't reach for it first. It is for a Large pen, light and nimble...not so much as the better balanced '50-60's 146.

I also have a very pretty Woolf (most of the Writer editions are pens as large as a 146) with it's fine looking but with just the modern...normal fat Springy nib. A my B is fat, a BB. Vintage are narrower.

A Springy nib is like the one on the Falcon, more tine bend than tine spread. A 2X tine spread, instead of the 3X tine spread of a 'true' regular flex, semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex.

If you are ready for semi-flex get one from the '50's....I just trans-mailed a 342? with a semi-flex nib. So look here on this com before going. There are 2xx and 3xx with semi-flex nibs if you ask the right people....and some are selling them right now.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I would check out the MB shops, just to see what they have.

But personally, I have no interest in their FAT pens.

Inks...maybe, depends on the color.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Love fat pens. And MB has all those lovely nib sizes hard to find these days. Pawn shops might be interesting.

Well, going into a MB store in Las Vegas will guarantee you will pay the highest possible price for the product. As I used to tell the guys I travelled to Vegas with: the lights don't stay on in Vegas because people are winning.

However, finding a good ink is within the realm of the possible and won't require a counterbalancing Coach purchase.

Buzz

I have about forty pens including Pelikans, Omas, Aurora, etc., and the best writer is a mid-1980's 146 MB with a fine/medium nib. I had a 149, but the nib was too stiff and overall the pen was just too big so I sold it. I also have a couple of older MB's from the 1930's and 1940's and they are also great writers. I would not spend what Montblanc is asking for a new pen. There are plenty to purchase from earlier years that are probably, or perhaps even certainly, better writers and less expensive. I'd test a few in Las Vegas , but buy a nice older pen somewhere else.

I have about forty pens including Pelikans, Omas, Aurora, etc., and the best writer is a mid-1980's 146 MB with a fine/medium nib. I had a 149, but the nib was too stiff and overall the pen was just too big so I sold it. I also have a couple of older MB's from the 1930's and 1940's and they are also great writers. I would not spend what Montblanc is asking for a new pen. There are plenty to purchase from earlier years that are probably, or perhaps even certainly, better writers and less expensive. I'd test a few in Las Vegas , but buy a nice older pen somewhere else.

Try the local pawn shops and you just might.

Indeed. However my trip is fairly booked and while I can squeeze time to walk across the street to Caesars I don't know that I would have the time to track down and visit any pawn shops. If I had another day I would do that as it would be fun for sure.

It depends on what you want for a nib.

I have three '50's MB's with great nibs, one is semi-flex, one between that and Maxi-semi-flex and one Maxi. I lucked into the first a standard sized 234 1/2 Deluxe, when I was totally ignorant of anything but a 146&9, and had not yet even held one. With that semi-flex KOB nib I decided I needed a maxi-semi-flex one from that era also.

I find the vintage medium large 146 (maxi-semi-flex) to be a great balanced pen; posted. I do also have a '70's 146....but in I'm not heavy into Large pens, it took me a while to get use to it. Even now I don't reach for it first. It is for a Large pen, light and nimble...not so much as the better balanced '50-60's 146.

I also have a very pretty Woolf (most of the Writer editions are pens as large as a 146) with it's fine looking but with just the modern...normal fat Springy nib. A my B is fat, a BB. Vintage are narrower.

A Springy nib is like the one on the Falcon, more tine bend than tine spread. A 2X tine spread, instead of the 3X tine spread of a 'true' regular flex, semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex.

If you are ready for semi-flex get one from the '50's....I just trans-mailed a 342? with a semi-flex nib. So look here on this com before going. There are 2xx and 3xx with semi-flex nibs if you ask the right people....and some are selling them right now.

I'm attending a large Pen show in November and will most certainly be on the lookout for some older pens - perhaps MB's!

Love fat pens. And MB has all those lovely nib sizes hard to find these days. Pawn shops might be interesting.

Indeed.

Well, going into a MB store in Las Vegas will guarantee you will pay the highest possible price for the product. As I used to tell the guys I travelled to Vegas with: the lights don't stay on in Vegas because people are winning.

However, finding a good ink is within the realm of the possible and won't require a counterbalancing Coach purchase.

Buzz

The voice of reason! I don't gamble and will expense the room/food so no worries about donating too much to the local economy. Any irrational spending, if it happens, will be strictly to offer a sacrifice to the Gods of the pens...

More reason!

Of course there's no rational reason to buy a new one - other than the feeling of having the experience and the 100% authentic pen in my keep.

Yes, at least go and try their demonstrator pens. You might be as surprised as I was how well the 146 fits your hand. I found the 149 a bit too thick, but the 146 perfect. No way of knowing until you try for yourself. My 146 is now my favorite pen and I enjoy writing with it for long sessions. Even if you end up buying there at full retail price, you'll have a pen you will use for life and that in my view makes it a good purchase.

I used to sneer and scoff at MB because they have gone from a pen brand with a strong emphasis on passing only the highest quality product on to the consumer, to a lifestyle brand that seeks customers who will flaunt the snowcap to demonstrate how wealthy and sophisticated they are.

Then a MB fan pointed out that those who sneer at the brand do so because of the marketing, while those who are fans of the pens always wax raphsodic about how well they write. And I realized he was right.

I still find them overpriced, particularly when new, but I'm no longer going to denigrate them as pens, unless I get some that are worse than my Plaisirs, which I regard as extraordinarily serviceable pens.