The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Does The Pilot Ch92 Nib Compare To The Metropolitan Nib, Size-Wise?

nib pilot metropolitan custom heritage 92 ch92

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shavely Manden

Shavely Manden

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:56

I've got my heart set on a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 as my next pen. It'll be my first gold nib, and my first pen nicer than my TWSBI. The one thing holding me back is figuring out which size nib I want -- wavering between an M and an FM. The only Japanese nibs I have to go by are Pilot Metropolitans...I have a medium and my gf has a fine. I definitely think the metropolitan fine is too fine, but I can't decide if the medium is OK or if something finer (i.e., FM) would suit me better.

My question: are the CH92 fine & medium comparable to the Metropolitan fine & medium in terms of fineness? I'd hate to end making a decision based on bad assumptions.

Edited by Shavely Manden, 13 April 2016 - 12:57.

Sponsored Content

#2 dylim1

dylim1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:39

I have a FM nib in my Custom 74. I would say it's very similar to the width of a metropolitan medium.

#3 ThatHuskyGuy

ThatHuskyGuy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:58

I literally just purchased my first two "step-up" pens from the Metro yesterday, a CH92 (FM) and CH912 (Postal).

Here is a direct comparison of the CH92 (FM) and the Pilot Metro (F).  Forgive the poor quality...it's late and I just wanted to scribble something for your comparison.  

20160413_235441_zpszlwnmopg.jpg

Edited by ThatHuskyGuy, 14 April 2016 - 03:58.

#4 Bounce792

Bounce792

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:45

I don't have a picture but my 92's FM nib is nowhere near as wet as that.  Currently using CdA Electric Orange in it.  YMMV with inks.

round-letter-exc.png

#5 ThatHuskyGuy

ThatHuskyGuy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:51

Great point.  I suppose I should have mentioned that mine is filled with the infamous Baystate Blue. 

#6 katm201

katm201

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 22:21

I have both the Metro M and the CH 92 M and I wish I'd gotten the CH 92 FM instead. The CH 92 M is much closer to a Western M than the Metro M is. The Metro M is finer than my Lamy F, while the CH 92 is a bit thicker of a line.

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

#7 Shavely Manden

Shavely Manden

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:42

Thanks, all! I ended up ordering the CH92 in FM...now the long wait till it gets here...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, pilot, metropolitan, custom heritage 92, ch92

Sponsored Content

|