Is the M450 worth it???

woodwindmaster06

Do you think that the Pelikan 450 Gold is worth the extra sometimes 200 dollars over the regular 400 White Tortouise?? I think it would be good to get one of each sizing and does the gold look that much better for that much more in cost????

Thanks

Tim

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leslie J.

• woodwindmaster06

• saintsimon

• Glenn-SC

Logically, no it probably doesn't make much sense to spend a hundred or two extra dollars for a pen that writes the same as pen a hundred dollars cheaper. Then again, this is a pretty hard hobby to rationalize once you have more than three pens or so. If you like the look of the gold on the m450 more than the regular m400 you might as well go for it. Do whatever will make you happy and that is something that no one here can tell you.

-Jesse

Definitely not worth it to me, but then I already have the White/Tortoise. You will only notice a difference in size if you go up from the 200-400 to the 600+ series. But if you really like the 450 on it's own, that's a matter of your pesonal taste. :)

Never lie to your dog.

Have you seen one yet (in real life)? . I saw one in Vienna, and thought it was terribly gaudy, unlike the White Totroise.

J

Yes I thought it was very beautiful and I'm just not sure if its worth the money.

Tim

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

I agree with JesseD. No pen over $50 is "worth the money". But if you love it and it makes you happy, buy it. Don't hesitate.

Remember you can always sell it. You won't get full price for it because it will never by new again, but beyond that as long as you keep it in good condition and keep all the packaging you could get most of your money back again.

If you love it, and will enjoy using it (or just keeping it in its box if that is your thing) it is worth it.

Something I've wondered about the 450's, will the caps be more prone to showing scratches and other wear?

Never lie to your dog.

I think the 450 is a gorgeous looking pen and if I had the cash to BLOW on it, then I would. But since I already have several M200 and a few M400's in a tortoise shell, I really couldnt justify it. Plus I am starting to be partial to larger pens and the 200 and 400's are really starting to be too small for me. Not to say that I will never use them, there is a time and an occasion for all pens.

But If I had the money, I would consider it. If you are wantibg to buy one, I would consider shopping around or looking for a used on on Zoss, Pentrace GreenBoard and here!! I am a sucker for Pelikans!!! :D

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• 7 months later...

The white and the gold versions do have different nibs, but that's still not really enough to "justify" the price difference. The justification is ultimately going to be that you just like one or the other more.

Folks, although both kinds look good, have you ever considered that the white torty is more for Ladies by colour code?

The white with golden applications has a somewhat feminine appearance (less so with the white/silver of the M620 'New York'). While Ladies would like and use both without raising eyebrows, I'm not at all sure, how a white torty with a male user would appear in a business meeting. /:)

Edited by saintsimon

As a "lady" ( :) ) I personally never liked the look of the white tortoise. When I saw the gold version for the first time yesterday I thought it looked sooo much nicer.

Somehow certain white things (cars, pens) look almost cheap to me. Like they are made of plastic? I don't know how to explain it without making someone mad! :)

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Folks, although both kinds look good, have you ever considered that the white torty is more for Ladies by colour code?

The white with golden applications has a somewhat feminine appearance (less so with the white/silver of the M620 'New York'). While Ladies would like and use both without raising eyebrows, I'm not at all sure, how a white torty with a male user would appear in a business meeting.  /:)

How's that for a sexist statement!

I have a White Tortoise and like the looks very much. It's just too small for my hand.

I don't feel my masculinity is challenged by using a non-black or non-bloodred FP, and use white, yellow, and orange FP regularly thank you!

"Value" is also sensitive to resale value. What is a block of gold really worth? But what you can resell it for is significant. My vintage Conklin Nozac writes about as well as my Lamy Safari, but I can resell the Nozac today for over 20 times the price of a Safari.

So is the Nozac "worth" the $45 I paid for it? You bet it is.

Edited by Glenn-SC

It's just one person's opinion, nothing to get upset about.

I too like the look of the white tortoise M400 the same as I like the look of the Laban Kaiser and the Waterman Charleston in Ivory GT. They look classy to me.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

As a "lady" ( :) ) I personally never liked the look of the white tortoise. When I saw the gold version for the first time yesterday I thought it looked sooo much nicer.

Somehow certain white things (cars, pens) look almost cheap to me. Like they are made of plastic? I don't know how to explain it without making someone mad! :)

Hi,

Yes, I do agree with you...

But yes, I would buy the M300 in tortoise, but then again, maybe not.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

The white with golden applications has a somewhat feminine appearance (less so with the white/silver of the M620 'New York'). While Ladies would like and use both without raising eyebrows, I'm not at all sure, how a white torty with a male user would appear in a business meeting.  /:)

I have a White Tortoise and like the looks very much. It's just too small for my hand.

I don't feel my masculinity is challenged by using a non-black or non-bloodred FP, and use white, yellow, and orange FP regularly thank you!

"Value" is also sensitive to resale value. What is a block of gold really worth? But what you can resell it for is significant. My vintage Conklin Nozac writes about as well as my Lamy Safari, but I can resell the Nozac today for over 20 times the price of a Safari.

So is the Nozac "worth" the $45 I paid for it? You bet it is.

Nope, forget about the sexism stuff or chalenges of maledom. I don't care about that. I'm not that simple (and never was).

:)

But the that torty LOOKS like Ladies gear (at least more feminine than many others you mentioned). I don't mind anybody having and liking and using it or anything for any gender.

But - to make my point obvious - until pink lipstick comes into fashion for heterosexual males (may be, but pink is not my personal taste), I'd like to ask: is anyone of those going to work (or anywhere else) with lipstick applied? If not, are those all sexists? I'd love to hear about it. ;)

Another example of gender style dilemas: 20 or so years ago I had some tiny amount of gold and a tiny diamond. So I designed myself a finger ring (to be made by a goldsmith), where the both ends of the metal wrap around the diamond, so the diamond is better visible. Comment about the ring by a girl: "Now, that looks feminine". Was she a sexist?

:lol:

As I allready mentioned before (Pel New York): it is not about white colour pens as such. It is about combinations and their resulting appearance.

PS: my yellow Aurora 'Sole' is one my favs.

PPS: Yes, I wanted to be somwhat provocative to induce a discussion, but don't take that too seriously. :P

Edited by saintsimon

I like the pen, therefore I bought it because I think it's worth it.

OK, another point is that it has good trading value.

End of story :

used it's worth to trade + cash for an OMAS Paragon Blue Royale MIB this past weekend at LA Pen Show = ) and deal was consumated in less than 5 minutes

Edited by KCkc

I had a white tortoise for a while, and I agree that it did look too feminine for my taste. It was too showy/flashy for me, so I sold it.

As for the 450, I'm sure that any pen in gold will keep its value fairly well. If you have the money and the pen speaks to you, go for it. At the price, there are other brands I personally would pick over Pelikan (my most expensive pen is a red stripe m600). I'd probably go for something in Japanese Urushi like a Nakaya, or maybe a marbled celluloid like a Conway Stewart.