The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Opuntia Stricta - Penbbs Ink No. 96

penbbs

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:46

Re: shipping: As my Jewish Presbyterian mother would have said, "I've seen worse." I ordered three inks from each web site. On uuorder.com, it worked out to $21.98 per bottle, shipped to the US by EMS. On OderAny.com it was only $8.82 per bottle with "standard shipping," whatever that might be. It will be interesting to see what arrives and when.

21.98 USD per bottle?!! But that's six or seven times their original price!

Sponsored Content

#22 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:54

This color incites only a "meh" out of me. Otherwise, nice review.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#23 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:46

I'm sure the cost of getting these inks from China to the US is much greater than the cost of the inks themselves. That's the way things are. We'll have to see what the quality is like. These are still a bargain compared to Hieronymus, which has the highest shipping charges I've ever seen, Louis Vuitton, Sailor LEs, etc.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#24 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 13:23

Well, I made a simulation. For France it is $6,16 for the bottle, and $28,52 for shipping. :unsure:

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#25 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 13:27

I've ordered 4 inks on Taobao. It was difficult - I needed to use google translate and it took me almost an hour. I gave them my credit card number and I hope it wasn't mistake. I've chosen "standard" shiipping and I've pait 19,87 $ for 4 inks with shipment. I'll let you know if and when they arrive and if my credit account is still mine after the operation :)

#26 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 13:49

Bobje opened a thread on buying from Taobao and invited me to chime in. Maybe you guys can also tell us about your experience with Taobao there. 
http://www.fountainp...-taobao-alipay/

#27 tritrek

tritrek

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:10

Have you ever thought of publishing your reviews in a book? It would sell out rather quickly...

I really don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings but your reviews are by far the best, I mean if you're first, the next is like... the fourth. There is tremendous work, enthusiasm, and VALUE in this, not only nostalgic value for us, pen-crazies but real money value, in all the time and ink invested. I think it should be published in a nice book.
If I remember correctly, there was one book with ink samples that is impossible to obtain... so you would fill quite a gap.

#28 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:40

Wow, that's even less than half-price. I sure hope you get that soon!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#29 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

• 4,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:36

I have some unfortunate news to report. While monitoring my credit card statement, I discovered a more than $400US charge from a Chinese web site, obviously fraudulent.

I had not provided my credit card information to either uuorder.com or OfferAny.com. I asked for and received a PayPal invoice from uuorder.com and paid it. This is the company with the higher shipping fees.

OfferAny wanted either a credit card or cash via Western Union. During the elaborate sign-up process with Western Union, I was required to enter my credit card information, so I'm wondering if the hackers got my info from them. My credit card company refused the charge from Western Union--maybe they know something about the vendor or WU that we don't. When the charge didn't go through, I emailed OfferAny a request for a PayPal invoice, but never heard anything more from them. It's obviously impossible to determine exactly who got my card info, but when it happens on the same day that you're trying to do business with two Chinese sites, you have to be a bit suspicious. I've already canceled my credit card, and will have to provide the new account number to several legitimate businesses that have the old one on file. At least I'll have my new card tomorrow or the day after.

#30 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

• 4,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:45

This afternoon, I received a PayPal invoice from OfferAny.com. Against my better judgment, I went ahead and paid it, because (1) it was only 20 some-odd dollars, and (2) the title ink of this thread was included in the order.

We shall see. 

#31 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 16:18

I like this shade of green - very nice. I'm not tempted to risk my credit card number, though. Good luck, jmccarty3!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#32 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

• 4,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2016 - 13:06

Now, after all this drama, I received an email today saying that the Opuntia Stricta green is not available, and asking me to choose another color!

My opinion is that these OfferAny folks are not ready for prime time and should be avoided. If Vanness or Anderson Pen can find a way to import these inks reliably, I'll consider them again.

#33 chingdamosaic

chingdamosaic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:11

This seems like a nice one, thank you for the thorough review!

I remember reading quite a lot of articles reporting Penbbs inks' unstable quality(some brown ink turned to grass green after one year in the original bottle...crazy!!) and poor packaging(almost 1/10 of inks broke or spilled during the shipment), but that was like over 3 years ago.
Now the above problems seem already solved, and I'd love to try some of these interesting colors;)

P.S. So far I've tried a sample of AVG(no. 132) and 陌上花開(no. 140). The performance is meh but I quite enjoy the colors.

#34 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 18:27

Great find, Vis!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#35 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

• 4,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2016 - 00:28

My second choice was not available either, so I just sent them a list of which colors would be an acceptable substitute. At least they are communicating with me by email, but otherwise I can't recommend dealing with these Chinese web sites.

#36 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

• 4,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 18:20

Without any communication or explanation, my PayPal payment to OfferAny was refunded, so I will not be getting any of those inks.

OTOH, yesterday I received the three penbbs inks I ordered through uuorder, and they look very nice.

#37 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:48

I just found out this ink is no longer in production.  :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penbbs

Sponsored Content

|