The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Flex Nib In Vacumatic?

vacumatic flex flex nib

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cchukan

cchukan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:17

Hello,

Looking at buying my very first vintage pen...

I'm currently looking at Vacumatic but having a difficult time finding one with a flex nib. 

So my question is, can I buy a vacumatic pen and swap it out with a parker flex nib?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:24

you could, but i should tell you (as a long-time vac collector who's owned about a hundred of them) that flexible nibs are pretty hard to find in vacs, and i just have three or four of them that i'd call flexible in my whole collection.

also, vac nib sizes will differ from model to model--and there was a multitude of vacumatic models made--so a simple swap may not always be possible, especially if you want to go for correctness not just in size but also in model. good luck!

Check out my blog and my pens

#3 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 13:17

A nib from an English Parker Duofold works very well, the nib has some flex, a softer feel and is available in a range of nib points. The pen below was modified by Parker in 1951 and is a joy to use.

Edited by Beechwood, 10 April 2016 - 13:50.

#4 Zed

Zed

User with collecting tendencies...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 14:08

I'd say look out for Canadian made vacumatics - many of those have pretty flexible nibs. 

#5 cchukan

cchukan

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:11

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:10

It's my understanding that it's somewhat unusual to find vintage Parkers of any flavor (I was going to say any stripe  ;)) with nibs that flex.  I got fairly lucky at Ohio Pen Show and got a blue striped Duofold (button filler) with a semi-flex oblique nib (not sure if it's an OF or an OM).  But most of my vintage Parkers are nails.  That makes the blue Duofold even more fun.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacumatic, flex, flex nib

Sponsored Content

|