The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Mystery Of The Pink Pelikan With Something In It's Gutts

pelikan cartridge brass mystery

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:08

Some months ago I was wandering in a stationary (Spain) and I found out they were doing some clean up. They had a can full of 2€ fountain pens and I found a couple of Pelikans I thought were interesting.

They were 80-90s fountain pens, one was the Pelikan Go (70 -> no piston :() and the other I took was... this:

g3t_YHBkuuk_Hg_Sr_O05_j_Ym_P66_Ied_D9_UN

It's a plastic metallic-pink painted body. The cap is screw on. The clip you can be "operated" with your thumb to open. There is a transparent pink "dome" in top of the cap that let you see the point of the nib. The section is transparent too and the feeder is white:

WZPZDZFWCesv_H0_DOv_Hj_PQ2_y_GTpvuv0_Yvy

But that –let's say risky– design and aesthetic choices, or even the model I couldn't find anywhere, are not the surprise.
When I holded the pen in my hand I felt that was something odd with the balance. The body was too heavy for a plastic fountain pen. I looked inside and saw there was a metallic thing attached to the body. "Weird" I thought but didn't care much until yesterday. Yesterday I gave the body a couple of bumps and this thing fell out:

K9d0l_CLXQj_Rf_Xw_Qe_KWa3ts_VMZAj_HPs_Ox

At first glance I thought "WTH... a bullet???"... then "An international cartridge... made... of... brass???"... and finally "Why?".
Here you can see it side by side with an international cartridge:

Bjb3g5f_8wuzmgr_Gr_Xgh_Ujtc_TX6g_Au_Ro1o

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?
Which model is this?
What is this brass thing for?

Best regards.

(I edited this post because some people have problems seen the images. The images are from Google Photos and I don't have any other image hosting.
I can see the images without problem and I don't know how to fix this. In any case here there is a link to the full album with the photos.)

Edited by asincrono, 10 April 2016 - 13:22.

Sponsored Content

#2 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:09

It may just be me and my iPhone but I'm not seeing any of the pics embedded within the post.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#3 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:22

It may just be me and my iPhone but I'm not seeing any of the pics embedded within the post.

Damn... I will try to solve it. I can see them but there is something wrong with linking from google photos. Sorry.

#4 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 13:28

Damn... I will try to solve it. I can see them but there is something wrong with linking from google photos. Sorry.

Hope it's solved now :S

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,379 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 19:45

Never seen the like, but would be perfect cartridge holder for those who throw themselves into spontaneous wild break dancing or do flips with a skate board or bounce down the sides of buildings for entertainment. 

Very well made; Home made, or there would be or have been others asking about it or selling them for vastly more than they are worth.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#6 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 20:13

The pictures look great. Not sure what model that is though. That extra piece looks like it is to be used instead of the spare cartridge. Let me ask, does the blind cap at the back of the barrel unscrew? Pelikan had a short lived convention where they would include something akin to what you display that was an ink eradicator. The tip would protrude out of the narrower top portion of a similarly shaped piece. It would take the place of a small international cartridge and when you unscrewed the back of the barrel, it would be exposed. Not saying that's what that piece is but it's reminiscent of it. Came on the P70 Go and the P25 Super Pirate Pens. If the piece at the back of the barrel is fixed, then I'd just assume it's meant to fill the space so you only need to use one short cartridge and not two.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#7 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 22:12

No, the blind cap doesn't turn, it's fixed.

Looks to me like an overkill to craft this fake brass cartridge just to take the place of a regular one. Wouldn't be cheaper just to include two cartridges or one big international instead?

On the other hand this brass thing it's not just a capsule of thin brass. It's hollow but I would say that it's 2mm thick at the thickest point. It's shaped inside with 3 steps each one thinner.

I don't know (obviously). Makes me think in some kind of adapter. For what? I don't know.

#8 rafapa

rafapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 22:28

Please have a look at
https://www.pelikan-...heading_toc_j_3

It looks like yours is a Pelikan 2000 year 1998

#9 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2016 - 15:52

Could it possibly be that this brass piece is something that got left inside during manufacture -- by mistake?  In those photos from the link to Pelikan-collectibles, there is no sign of anything (substantial) <inside> the blue pen...

Edited by Christopher Godfrey, 11 April 2016 - 15:52.

#10 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2016 - 16:17

Thanks Rafapa, looks indeed like some variation of the Pelikan 2000.

Christopher Godfrey: You guess is as good as mine.

But as no one identified it yet, plus I can't find any other of such brass things around the web. I think that could be possible that is something that someone at the factory or in the shop forgot inside.

Maybe something to test that the section and feeder where right to take a cartridge, or if an international cartridge would fit? 

I don't know yet.

#11 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2016 - 17:20

It could just be a Fraudulent Heft Inducer.  The Waterman Phileas had one.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#12 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2016 - 17:27

That's interesting. The Aurora Ipsilon has a brass inner sleeve to "induce heft" (not sure if that's fraudulent). If it came unglued, or unattached, maybe it would look like that?
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#13 asincrono

asincrono

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2016 - 18:33

Don't think so as: 

a. It unnecessarily resembles a internatinal cartridge.

b. There is a transparent body version of this  pen.

c. Can't see any glue remains inside the pen or in the brass piece.

d. This pen looked like a cheap one regardless of heft. Hard to believe someone took care in adding heft to make it feel more spensive :S

Right now I'm thinking that this brass "cartridge" wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.

Edited by asincrono, 12 April 2016 - 18:34.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, cartridge, brass, mystery

Sponsored Content

|