What's Your Favorite Ink In Your Juicy Pelikan?

Witsius

I like using wonderfully shading inks in my Pelikans since they're such wet writers. My M805 Anthracite usually gets a grey ink, like Fuyu Syogun or Maruzen Hatobanezu, my M1005 BB gets Kingdom Note Tanna Japonensis or Sailor Sky High, and my M805 black gets whatever happens to be around. The best ink I ever used in the M805 black was Diamine Autumn Oak....gorgeous!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• biancitwo

• kapilapshankar

• Witsius

Yes, they still make blotting paper. Goulet Pens sells it. I'm sure other vendors do as well.

J Herbin makes very good blotting paper and it's available on Amazon, too. You'll also "need" an antique/vintage rocker blotter ;)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

They no longer make blotting paper like the good old times, do they? ;)

Well, I'm assuming there's probably less child labour and dubious health and safety practices involved, so no, not like the good old times. ;) Still seems pretty absorbent though.

J Herbin makes very good blotting paper and it's available on Amazon, too. You'll also "need" an antique/vintage rocker blotter ;)

Ack, Herbin do that pink. I have flashbacks to that pink blotting paper from my schooldays. They couldn't have picked a worse colour to go with all the vats of Royal Blue ink sloshing about. *shudder* And while you don't need a rocker blotter, they are nice to have. I fortuitously acquired a wooden one than is so large it will easily blot a third of an A5 page in one motion. Yet to find the Pelikan to defy that baby - but happy to keep looking... :D

There are very wet Noodler inks. Some 6-7 years ago, Waterman was considered a wet ink. Lately, I have seen where Noodler users call Waterman a dry ink.

There are problems with some Noodler's inks, in certain fountain pen repair men don't like it....at least three of the Big ones....and Rick I think, tells any that gets a Pelikan pen repaired by him or buys one....voids his guarantee with use of Noodlers.

So find out first which ones are safe, and clean your pen especially the feed often, in the Three of the Big boys, have had melted feeds that they think was done by Noodlers.

I am sure hundreds will say no problem, but some who had problems had to have their pens repaired.

I don't know who makes second wettest ink. DA, perhaps. De Atramentis Royal Blue replaced my Waterman Blue as my wet blue.

The problem I find with Diamine and the Diamine made Akkerman is they feather.

Akkerman is a bit better than Diamine, from what I tried, but neither are on my buy list. I am how ever a bit OCD with feathering....or rough/'lumpy' lines. I like a nice clean line.

Private Reserve has a bad reputation but makes the wettest ink of all, if it ever dries in another question. Tanzanite, Some love it....others hate it.

I'm glad I never tried any of this companies inks. There was and I don't know if there is still problems with it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Noodler's Eel Blue is a lubricated ink. I like the idea of using a lubricated ink in piston-fill pens. It is also a very satisfying blue, that I like. Several persons have picked up my TWSBI, held it to the light, and admired this ink.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Bo Bo, I am one of those who loves the colour of PR Tanzanite; but mine never dries -- perhaps I had better start using blotting paper again...nowadays I tend to use Diamine inks, plus K&R, Watermans.

In my daily writer, an M1000 with a M nib, I mainly use Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite, and occasionally BunguBox 4B. Yes, both are blue-blacks because I'm boring.

My journaling is done in Rhodia Webbies. I've had no issues with Tanzanite drying, but I do keep a sheet of J Herbin blotting paper tucked in the back pocket.

Welcome to these pages, RobP! Now we know where to ask for it when we need a shot of boredom!?! :D

No, it's not your tanzanite that is suspect: it is the Private Reserve that tends never to dry -- although someone suggested, somewhere not long ago in another thread, that PR have changed that ink...of course, I have <bottles> of the old!

• 2 weeks later...

I use Iroshizuku Momiji. in a wet writer, it's a deep and vibrant red that really does resemble autumn red maple leaves! But in a pen with less flow, it's more of a pink that I'm not fond of.

• 2 weeks later...

Edelstein Onyx.

It's not as saturated as 4001 Brilliant Black (they don't call it Brilliant for no reason) but it's remarkably smooth and dries faster. I actually like the fact that it has a little bit of shading; it never really appears grayish.

This stuff isn't cheap, though, at $30 for a 50ml bottle. For lesser pens, I have a bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Jet Black on hand as well. I'm not one to experiment with lots of different inks (though I used to have a small bottle of 4001 Brilliant Green) so can't say much about other inks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Montblanc Meisterstück 149 – Montblanc Meisterstück LeGrand (146) Pelikan Toledo M700 – Pelikan Souverän M800 – Pelikan Souverän M600 – Pelikan Classic M200 – Pilot Custom 823 Pilot Prera – Pilot MR Lamy AL-star – TWSBI Diamond 580AL

You can try inks produced by L'Artisan Pastellier from France, named Callifolio. These inks are very good for wet pens, especially for vintage pens with flexible nibs. I don't know if they are available in USA, but you can find them in Sakura Fountain Pen Boutique online (from Belgium).

I also use J. Herbin inks (especially Lie de The) and Visconti brown with my Pelikans, with very good results.

In a Pelikan 100, with an extra fine nib, a 100N, with a broad italic by Pendleton Brown, and a 400N, with a fine nib, I always have Asa Gao, by Iroshizuku. I write big with extended broad descenders and always have plenty of ink. Dry time does not bother me. I do wait on signatures with my broad and my flexy fine nib. In my 100n with the manifold extra fine nib, I have an Akkerman green. That is a dry nib, but with that ink, it writes well on virtually any paper.

In both of my M 1000 with ef nibs, I use Pelikan 4001 blueblack or Rohrer & Klingner Salix. I really like the shading of iron gall containing inks. And they do not bleed through or show feathering on cheap papers.

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher. (Einstein)

http://www.facebook.com/GuentherDebertin

In my M215, I used Noodler's Liberty Elysium for a while, but for some reason it would always seem to leak onto the the lower portion of the barrel where I gripped the pen. But it's a nice color for the pen, just didn't like the effects of using it.

I use R&K Salix in my M605 and M800s. I also have m205s inked with Pelikan Blue black.

I've got all sorts in mine. Newest M805EF demo with Aurora Blue. Seems pretty good to me.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Anything Pink or Purple, Yama Budo, Tsutsuji, Kosumosu or MB Lavender. Carrying an 805 in 3B and a 1000 in 2B Stubbed......pretty much ink pumps and keep it coming!

• 5 months later...

I have added an M600, with a broad nib turned "butter line stub" by Pendleton Brown, and an M800 with a medium nib turned "butter line stub" by Pendleton Brown. The M600 has my favorite Asa Gao. My M800 has Dromgooles Noodlers Steel. Both are beautiful wet inks in wet nibs and I always have gorgeous ink when ever my nib touches paper.