Montblanc Poa 2016 Peggy Guggenheim

adelaidepen

I can't help but feel that we're being played the fool. The biggest guy in the room (i.e. FPN) is an easy target for what actually appears to be Montblanc's issue regarding their marketing secrecy. I fully understand that they have an absolute right to keep their product under wraps until its official launch. But we aren't talking rocket science here; they could easily control this by making an announcement a month in advance of release, then after this sending out the marketing materials, co-ordinating the invited launch's and product to shelves. However, once they have made an announcement and let the marketing materials out then they have to accept the world we live in today - it will hit the internet; but this is what marketing materials are for: distribution. This current product is plastered over the internet already; it was announced some time ago and the marketing materials are on hand to be seen in boutiques and some even have the product itself for sale. Now if all of this shouldn't have happened that is an issue for Montblanc in terms of how they time their releases and how they manage it, as it is, they seem to be targeting the largest player in the pen forum world and restricting it instead of sorting out their own inability to roll out a product properly. But their approach to FPN doesn't seem to make any sense. We are essentially their largest free advertiser and there is an element of biting the hand that feeds them. Initially it may get people talking; but in the long term I can only see one result - significant damage to the brand name.

Wim has already confirmed that an embargo exists for this pen. Embargos exist in order for MB to get maximum coverage for the product launch/announcement at one precise moment, perhaps so that MB can obtain coverage in multiple publications, understandably, MB do not want publicity of their new pen in any media until the moment of their choosing.

The presentation to a cutomer of a new pen leaflet or display of the pen will not have an effect on the media launch, the publication of a private photograph will however have an impact and cuts across a specific request to FPN.

If MB kindly asks FPN, as the largest pen forum, to refrain from publicising new models before a given date then I think that a reasonable person would agree to their request rather than alienate a significant pen manufacturer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• salesguy

• sunnerd

• Trom

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but feel that we're being played the fool. The biggest guy in the room (i.e. FPN) is an easy target for what actually appears to be Montblanc's issue regarding their marketing secrecy. I fully understand that they have an absolute right to keep their product under wraps until its official launch. But we aren't talking rocket science here; they could easily control this by making an announcement a month in advance of release, then after this sending out the marketing materials, co-ordinating the invited launch's and product to shelves. However, once they have made an announcement and let the marketing materials out then they have to accept the world we live in today - it will hit the internet; but this is what marketing materials are for: distribution. This current product is plastered over the internet already; it was announced some time ago and the marketing materials are on hand to be seen in boutiques and some even have the product itself for sale. Now if all of this shouldn't have happened that is an issue for Montblanc in terms of how they time their releases and how they manage it, as it is, they seem to be targeting the largest player in the pen forum world and restricting it instead of sorting out their own inability to roll out a product properly. But their approach to FPN doesn't seem to make any sense. We are essentially their largest free advertiser and there is an element of biting the hand that feeds them. Initially it may get people talking; but in the long term I can only see one result - significant damage to the brand name.

+1

Wim has already confirmed that an embargo exists for this pen. Embargos exist in order for MB to get maximum coverage for the product launch/announcement at one precise moment, perhaps so that MB can obtain coverage in multiple publications, understandably, MB do not want publicity of their new pen in any media until the moment of their choosing.

The presentation to a cutomer of a new pen leaflet or display of the pen will not have an effect on the media launch, the publication of a private photograph will however have an impact and cuts across a specific request to FPN.

If MB kindly asks FPN, as the largest pen forum, to refrain from publicising new models before a given date then I think that a reasonable person would agree to their request rather than alienate a significant pen manufacturer.

Sorry, "embargo" - on whose terms? Has anyone signed an NDA with MB? If so what are the commercial compensation for abiding by the "embargo"?

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Surely if you post the links to the sites showing the pictures, there is nothing to be said.

The other sites posted the picture, not FPN.

Just post the links until de "official disclosure" .

Are you talking about this official Montblanc Dealer in Cyprus?

http://www.philenews.com/el-gr/oikonomia-epicheiriseis/156/304410/montblanc-patron-of-art-edition--peggy-guggenheim

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

If that's really the case then MB have a very odd view of the world. If my company issues a press release with an embargo, it's issued the day before we want it 'out there'. Not before. In that way you stand a chance of managing the flow of information

MB seem to want it both ways - happy for their stores & staff to publicise new releases ahead of time, BUT also wanting to try to control debate in other fora.

Am I the only one that finds this a tad odd? Personally, I don't think MB have the first idea about web marketing & how to use the web to interact with customers. Have a look at the MB Twitter feed (which I suspect is a bot) if you need a laugh.

The world has moved on - IMHO opinion MB are playing at the web in all forms (snapchat / Instagram) without having a coherent plan, or much of an idea how to approach the modern era. Of course, a company can decide not to use web based media - that's a strategy - but what they are up to at the moment seems pretty ham fisted.

And as for an 'embargo' it only seems to apply here. Certainly not to their own. directly employed staff, one of whom gave me the PoA brochure 2 weeks ago......that embargo seems really solid to me.....

Edited by salesguy

In the end it is about copyright issues, as mentioned in another topic, or two.

You cannot post copyrighted materials on FPN, without express and written permission from the copyright holder. We can and will be held both responsible and liable for copyrighted materials being published on FPN, it is that simple.

If a company or individual wants to protect their copyrighted materials, it is their choice, whatever the strategy is, whether you agree with it or not, whether you find it odd or not. Everybody has a right to do things their way, provided it is not against the law. And in the case of copyright and strategy, it is a matter of give and take. This is exactly why we had a scoop on the Serpent Les, and the copyrighted materials of the launch information.

We can discuss this until we all see blue in the face, but it isn't going to change anything, other than polarize the different camps.

In the end it is about reasonable dialogue rather than diatribe, as I have said several times before; it is about give and take.

We'll all just have to see and wait what can be achieved that way.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

It is all about control. Power & Money.

I will never buy a Montblanc pen again. That's the only power I have, to say 'no'.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I am certainly not saying an unveiling event, at least, I don't really know these events.

I do know that a while back a cell phone picture was posted here on FPN of some 3 months later to be released LE, where people were not supposed to take pictures, and after it was posted here, it went viral :). It could actually be traced right back to FPN. :) Montblanc was very sporting about it, actually. But we obviously would prefer those things not to happen :).

Maybe we should start a new forum here on FPN. A pen rumours forum <ROFL>.

Warm regards, Wim

Sorry Wim, but I asked whether I could take a picture and the Montblanc rep (high level) gave me permission for this pen but not for all the others that I saw as they were prototypes and not final at that time. So I took a picture and posted it and then it was removed. All fine for me to save you trouble, but it is simply wrong to write that we were not supposed to take pictures. Montblanc differentiated which pens to take pictures of and which not.

This pen now for sale on that auction site:

(I'm not in any way affiliated with the seller, just saw and felt this would be the place to share.)

Edited by wimg
No eBay links other than in Market Watch and The Mall for "marketing" purposes

+1

The pen is for sale in Galeries Lafayette, in Paris, and in other Montblanc boutiques.

......and the one in the UK, the two in Spain, the one in Italy and the one in France.........all of whom are 'official' Montblanc dealers. Don't get me wrong, I perfectly understand that they have copyright on their product and would defend that to the hilt. It just seems remarkably odd that they are asking this forum to refrain from posting something that is already out there. It is that aspect that I can't quite get my head around. I cannot see how it does anything other than damage their brand among the very same people who are buying their product?!?!

Out of interest, does anyone actually know if Montblanc are chasing their own dealers and boutiques to withdraw this item from advertising and sale from a pre-emptive early release; or is it just us on FPN?

Out of interest, does anyone actually know if Montblanc are chasing their own dealers and boutiques to withdraw this item from advertising and sale from a pre-emptive early release; or is it just us on FPN?

Wimg mentionned the purpose was only about pictures, that are covered by copyright, and that we cannot use here without any permission.

I can, at least, understand this (though I do not agree with it !).

The purpose is a bit different from what it was in the beginning, when Wimg mentionned : "I would like to draw your attention to the fact that you cannot, unfortunately, discuss any Montblanc pens which have not been released officially yet, IOW, in this case any pens to be released this year."

Edited by Xof72000

Wimg mentionned the purpose was only about pictures, that are covered by copyright, and that we cannot use here without any permission.

The purpose is a bit different from what it was in the beginning, when Wimg mentionned : "I would like to draw your attention to the fact that you cannot, unfortunately, discuss any Montblanc pens which have not been released officially yet, IOW, in this case any pens to be released this year."

Like you I understand the request, but don't agree with it. It strikes as very strange in this era of what is essentially free internet advertising. Why on earth would you want to try and control that for the purposes of halting it? I understand that they want to market certain things as super-duper, massively exclusive product not at all for the masses, but then I ask myself what difference does it make if I see it in March or in April if I'm never going to afford it or even touch it? I'm unclear about whether or not we are permitted to link to Montblanc boutiques who already have this item for sale or advertised for future purchase on their websites.

Up to this point, I must confess I have been very understanding. I can perfectly understand that if Montblanc want to release something to the public in April to mark some kind of anniversary (or whatever) then that is their right - it is their product after all and they have every right to be very annoyed if someone spoils the surprise and releases it to the public in March. What I really don't get is why an internet forum cannot link to a product already being advertised in their boutiques. There is something not quite shaping up to the full picture here. I suspect, although may be very wrong, that it is an issue with Montblanc; that they have sent out product and materials to be released at a certain time and their own boutiques have ignored this request. That to me is an issue at Montblanc - not FPN.

Sorry Wim, but I asked whether I could take a picture and the Montblanc rep (high level) gave me permission for this pen but not for all the others that I saw as they were prototypes and not final at that time. So I took a picture and posted it and then it was removed. All fine for me to save you trouble, but it is simply wrong to write that we were not supposed to take pictures. Montblanc differentiated which pens to take pictures of and which not.

That is fine. The 4 topics we removed from view a while ago, as was explained, had too many pictures and posts to work through properly. It would have taken days to do so.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

This pen now for sale on that auction site:

(I'm not in any way affiliated with the seller, just saw and felt this would be the place to share.)

You're only allowed to share those in Market Watch.

Hence removed.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I know what the situation is, but am not at liberty to say, let me state that much.

Apparently quite a few people here do not want to understand the difficult position we are in here.

Obviously we want to share everything we know, or others bring in. Just as obvious, we want to do the right thing. It is a balance, give and take, as mentioned already.

Regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

That was the request at the time, because of the fact that Montblanc was working on a completely coordinate launch, for which the wheels were in motion already. But it was about copyrighted material in the first place.

I may have included too many pens in my statement, saying all pens, for sure - I had no idea at the time what Montblanc normally does on a yearly basis, and even now I only have a fragmentary view.

I do know now that we can discuss new pens, but that we cannot publish or post copyrighted material which has not yet been put in the public domain, or made available for general use. That others break those copyright issues, is not our fault, or our concern. What is our concern, is FPN, and how it would affect us. And that is a general concern, FPN-wide.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman