The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Are These Good Inks?

ink inks pen good are these

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 16:31

I love the shimmering inks!  That said, I love any ink with a gimmick or a trait that makes it stand out from the crowd (shading, interesting color, etc).  I also use the shimmers in a pen that could be disposable if it clogs.

Inks are so personal.  Check the thread about trading samples if you don't want to purchase them.

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

Sponsored Content

#22 Pravda

Pravda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2016 - 18:06

From my experience, the Iroghizuku and Herbin are great ink. Years later and they're still wet and fluid in my pens whereas I had to discard many a Montblanc bottles because they've either dried up or changed colors. 

The problem is that I don't like too many of their color offerings :/ 

#23 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2016 - 19:13

Ink preference is so very personal. 

Even the vaguest suggestion of shimmer, as for instance with the inks that have sheen, tend to turn me right off.  Yet on the other hand, I get excited about inks that shade.

In my limited experience, a few of Iroshi inks, like Tsukushi, Asa-gao or Shin-kai are "worth it" enough for me to buy back-up bottles.

Herbin inks have yet to capture my attention, though I did like the colour of Pussiere de Lune.

Edited by tinta, 16 April 2016 - 20:32.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#24 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2016 - 19:46

Welcome to the forum. Iroshizuku is definitely a nice ink. Lots of awesome vibrant colors. Pick a color you like and buy a bottle. You should have atleast one or two bottles of it. Edelstein is even more expensive. You should have a few bottles of this, as well. One of the most awesome, and unforgiving inks is Noodlers. You can never have too much this. "Put Noodlers ink in Noodlers pens" and you won't have to worry about staining.
you'll also find several well behaved inks that costs less than Iroshizuku. It's good to have a variety of inks, as it is to a variety of pens and paper.
JAR will probably be here in a little to talk about stumps and spells.

Some regards
Allan😀😀😀

#25 Shavely Manden

Shavely Manden

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2016 - 21:08

I've pretty much fallen in love with every Iroshizuku ink I've tried. They're closer to $20/bottle on Amazon, and I'd absolutely say they're worth it.

#26 Piper 987

Piper 987

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2016 - 00:59

I have yet to try an iroshizuku without being very pleased. They have been well-behaved in every pen I've used it in. Amazon Canada Prime usually has them for around $20 or less (occasionally more), including delivery. They are far and away my favorite inks.

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

#27 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2016 - 15:54

I can't answer your questions only you can. But I will say that I was surprised at how similar in colour three of the last inks I bought are.

1) Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu Gaki
2) Diamine Coral
3) Noodler's Dragon's Napalm

The last two come in larger quantities for less, they all seem to behave similarly, and while they are not quite identical they are close enough...

So, you can find other inks with very similar colours. But the Iroshizuku bottle is nice.

#28 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 00:19

I had a question on a few inks:

Are the Pilot Irushuzi (or whatever they are) worth the price?

Are the J. Herbin 1670 inks as awesome as they look?

Is the Alexander Hamilton ink any good? link below

http://www.andersonp...e-p/da-1126.htm

I have tried two Iroshizuku inks, and loved them both.  I have Emerald of Chivor, and love it.  I have never tried Alexander Hamilton, so I cannot comment.  As far as price, if you find them at a decent price, yes they are worth it.  But you must love them before buying.  So that means get a sample first.  Otherwise they are NOT worth it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, inks, pen, good, are, these

Sponsored Content

|