Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir

wimg

Dearest Members and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,

Please find below the full press release of the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, Limited Edition 1906 and Special Edition.

----------

Rewriting The Rules Through Innovation: Montblanc Gives New Life To A Legendary Design

Maison revisits its early pioneering spirit with the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, Special Edition and Limited Edition 1906

fpn_1459824198__rn-se-s-blk-02.jpg

In celebration of its 110th Anniversary, Montblanc returns to its beginnings, as it reimagines one of the first product lines it created during the early 20th century. After almost 3 years of development, the founders of Montblanc launched in 1909 “Rouge et Noir“, the Maison’s first fountain-pen series, made of black ebonite with a red cap top and inspired by the famous novel of the same name by Stendhal. While the new Montblanc Heritage Collection Rouge & Noir evokes the pioneering spirit of Montblanc with a vintage look and feel, the design brings a contemporary twist to the early model with a slimmer and longer silhouette, as well as incorporating modern piston technology.

fpn_1459823569__rn-se-s-both.jpg

With its sensual curves, the serpent features prominently throughout the collection wrapped around the top of the writing instrument and undulating down the cap to become the clip. The mysterious serpent recalls a design motif popular among Art Nouveau artists when the original Rouge & Noir collection first made its appearance. With this newly designed collection of writing instruments the Maison revisits its early pioneering spirit and reinterprets a legendary line in both form and function with a new size and shape and enhanced writing features for a softer, more luxurious writing experience.

fpn_1459823481__rn-se-s-fam-crl.jpg

The cap and barrel of the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, Special Edition are crafted from precious black resin and lacquer, with the historical Montblanc logo engraved on the cap’s side. A traditional off-white snowcap, embedded in coral red precious resin crowns the writing instrument. The new alloy metal used to create the writing instrument’s clip ensures it can be lifted without being bent, while the patina on the clip’s 1920s-inspired serpent design is achieved by using a special galvanic and stripping process. While forming the shape of the clip with its green eyes, the motif of the creature is also engraved on the rhodium-plated Au585 gold nib, evoking Montblanc’s mission to constantly rethink and reinvent the art of writing since 1906. The Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, Special Edition Coral contrasts with the black model, made from vivid coral resin and lacquer evoking a colour reminiscent of the era, and features a bi-colour nib in Au585 gold decorated with the intricate serpent engraving.

fpn_1459823528__rn-se-s-fam-blk.jpg

Hard rubber, the material that was once one of the only viable and available materials from which Montblanc could create fountain pens, makes its return with the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, Limited Edition 1906. With the same limitation number as the year Montblanc was founded, the cap and barrel of the writing instrument are crafted from ebonite, a material that contains natural rubber with sulphur and linseed oil used in a model from 1909, and still manufactured according to a traditional process. While the texture of the ebonite contrasts with the metal fittings and the coral and ivory coloured resin of the Montblanc emblem, the sensorial experience is enhanced by the typical scent that comes from the sulphur content inside the ebonite. The serpent adorns the rhodium-plated Au 750 gold nib with the bi-colour design, while the slithering creature that forms the clip is set with two precious rubies as its eyes.

fpn_1459823724__le1906-02.jpg

To complement the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir writing instruments, a collection of fine stationary pieces is being introduced featuring the serpent. The first piece to launch will be an elegant lined notebook in black leather embossed with spiralling serpents.

Through craftsmanship refined over generations, the pioneering spirit that fuelled Montblanc’s early innovations comes to life in the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, Special Edition and Limited Edition 1906. With refined aesthetics and innovative functionality, Montblanc draws inspiration from its legacy to rewrite the rules, 110 years later.

fpn_1459823816__rn-se-s-blk.jpg

fpn_1459823864__rn-se-s-crl.jpg

fpn_1459824003__le1906-03ss.jpg

About Montblanc

Guided by the pioneering spirit since 1906, Montblanc revolutionized the culture of writing with breakthrough innovations. Today, the Maison continues to push boundaries and evolve the expression of fine craftsmanship across each of its product categories: the pinnacle of luxury writing instruments, timepieces, leather goods, accessories, fragrances and eyewear. With every innovation, Montblanc offers new functionalities and groundbreaking designs imbued with the Maison’s heritage of sophistication and crafted to the highest standards through the skills of its artisans in each of its manufactures. Reflecting its ongoing mission with fine lifetime companions born from the most pioneering ideas, the iconic Montblanc Emblem has become the ultimate seal of performance, innovation, quality and expression of style. With its origins deeply rooted in the culture of handwriting, Montblanc has set an international standard of cultural commitment, with the creation of wide-ranging initiatives to promote arts and culture in many forms, while paying tribute to the modern day patrons who support the advancement of the arts.

----------

Note: Images were edited to fit.

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raif79

• Out0Mind

• Pravda

• wimg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I imagine many will like it but I find them boring and certainly uninspiring. Pricing does seem to be more reasonable though than other recent introductions.

I imagine many will like it but I find them boring and certainly uninspiring. Pricing does seem to be more reasonable though than other recent introductions.

That's what I thought. I went to the boutique to 'confirm' my suspicion, I ended up buying one :) the coral looked beautiful

Having seen them in the flesh, they are indeed stunning. I am not one for snakes either, I guess because in Western culture the snake has a different meaning than in Eastern culture, in general, but I must say after having handled a few Agatha Christies, and then these (during my visit at Montblanc 2 1/2 weeks ago), you get used to the idea, and then it actually becomes very attractive. These pens are beautiful, and if you see the care, precision, pride and passion with which these are created, they get a completely different life and feel indeed.

The clip is very special too: it is made from an especially for this pen series developed alloy, which keeps its springiness for life. I saw the different stages of this clip in the production process, from a thin rod of metal, right to the finished clip. Very intriguing indeed.

Warm regards, Wim

P.S.: We were the first website to be allowed to publish all material, BTW, in advance of the official launch later today it is, I think :). We'll try to publish more over the next few days.

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

The things that I find annoying are the snake clip and the contrast between the flat bulbous top (get rid of the snake and the caps okay) with the light slender rounded piston turning knob. The pen comes across to much like "Perry". Where's Perry?

Thank you, Wim! I think the coral on the cap of the black is just stunning. The snake clip on the Christie had always slightly repelled me, but on this one I think I rather like it.

Off to a boutique for a look asap! Not sure about the metal section.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

OOH got here late! Looks like something I would love to have! Love the nib!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I love the look of these and I have one reserved. my favourite release in quite some time.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

They are posted on Montblanc US site as of now. The orange one for $780 and the black one for $650, which makes the black one cheaper than a 146. I think it's the cheapest piston filler Montblanc has to offer now.

i don't understand

1) why snake clip (there are beautiful clip in old pens...)

2) why snake nib (the original nib had a write on it)

3) why red top cap with white star...

three things that are no correct...

post-3343-0-38797500-1459888027.jpg

post-3343-0-53157900-1459888041.jpg

They are posted on Montblanc US site as of now. The orange one for $780 and the black one for $650, which makes the black one cheaper than a 146. I think it's the cheapest piston filler Montblanc has to offer now.

Interesting point. I'm wondering what compromises were made (if any) but perhaps MB is searching for a larger market with a lower priced pen. Any perspectives on that?

i don't understand

1) The snake clip appeals to some customers and it's consonant with older MB pens.

2) The engraved nib seems to be a modern MB theme. Personally, I don't care for the look.

3) Red (cap) with white (star) juxtaposed to black is an eye-catching combination due to the stark visual contrasts. That's been known for ages (see the flag of the Third Reich, for example: no parallels intended)

The pen is not intended to be an exact reproduction, therefore there is no "correct" to be invoked here.

i don't understand

My answer to your Question 1 and 2 = because this is called "Heritage Collection"?

To answer your question three:

Well, for a historic correct "rouge et noir" pen it should have been a red star within a black cap top. But I think that a red star doesn't match the actual registered trade mark which is the white star.

About the coral red version: About 90% of all coral red Montblanc pens were produced in Denmark between 1935 and 1955 and most of them had a black cap top and a white star but non of them were called "rouge et noir". In the Montblanc history pens with a coral red body never have been labeled "rouge et noir".

But I like this Heritage Collection even if the size (and the metal grip section) doesn't match my taste. If this is the start of a new dimension I'm looking forward to more breathtaking reproductions of vintage pens.

Need more informations on coral red pens?

B) Get the book "Montblanc in Denmark 1014-1992, The Untold Story" by Claus Holten and Poul Lund, launched 2013, ISBN 978-87-995557-0-3 .

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Actually, we're talking the Rouge & Noir which was developed from 1906 to 1909 it is based on here:

fpn_1459891013__first-rn-prospect-02-512

fpn_1459891131__rn-banderole-512.jpg

It did not have a clip, but people often bought a snap-on clip, either a very simple one, or in the form of a snake, more complex, also for good luck and fortune.

In 1910 the company's name changed from Simplo Filler Pen Co. to Montblanc, and shortly thereafter the pens started wearing the star logo, the stylised form of the six glaciers coming down the sides of the Montblanc.

A serpent clip was actually introduced by Montblanc in the 1920s, it was by then very much an Art Deco thing.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks Wim for your conversations with Montblanc and for the advance e-publication of the press material from Montblanc. I purchased the coral version over the weekend -- simply love the color and the design of the pen.

Thanks Wim for your conversations with Montblanc and for the advance e-publication of the press material from Montblanc. I purchased the coral version over the weekend -- simply love the color and the design of the pen.

Thanks! I posted the intro of my Montblanc visit right in this forum here a short while ago, with all questions we will get answered :).

I must say it had to grow on me a bit, it truly is a retor pen, but I am now at a stage where I would really love to own one of these beauties :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman