The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot 823 After Cross Century?

pilot 823 cross century cleaning ink

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2016 - 19:21

FOUR X FOUR,
Please accept my apology. I missed that. I don't own a TWSBI.
Thanks for posting the pic. It looks a special wrench. I own a decent set of wrenches in imperial and metric. Do you need a special, thin wrench for the 823 or would a standard thickness wrench work?
Thanks,
Dan.

Hey Dan, I'm sorry for that. 😃 I should've explained why I wanted to know if you have a Twsbi. 😃 when you get the 823 I'll send you a Twsbi wrench. 😃
The reason a Twsbi wrench is the go to tool for the 823 is because it's thin and it's the perfect size. 😃 It's even slightly on the snug side. 😃 Meaning,It's not going to strip the 823 piston nut. 😃 You can certainly find a wrench that is the same size,😃 but it also needs to be just as thin.

Sponsored Content

#22 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2016 - 21:12

ehemem,

Thanks for the heads up.  I live in Bellevue, just east of Seattle.   I'd be happy to drive to Bellingham on April 16th, but it turns out that I'll be in Michigan then.  :(  In any case, I just sent George an email asking him to add me to the email list.

Best regards,

Dan.

When are you leaving for parts east? Do you ever get over to Seattle during the week or even the weekend?

#23 Dan_public

Dan_public

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:56

David, Rutherford, Four X Four, and ehemem,

Again thanks for the help. Fortunately, I have a 7mm wrench. Hopefully it will work. If not, I may prevail on your for a nice thin wrench. I'm leaving for Michigan Wedesday morning.

Now a status update:

I haven't purchased the Pilot 823 yet. I purchased a Lamy Safari and a Nemosine Fission to get a better sense of larger pens. (Each was $25.)

The Safari is a nice, light pen. The grip is strange, but overall the size is OK. The weight is OK, but a bit light. Overall, it's only 18 grams with the body being 10 grams. The downside is that the nib is on the dry side and is not quite as smooth as I'd like. That said, for $25 it's a good pen. But I think it's too light for me. My writing seems a bit "twitchy".

The Nemosine has a very smooth nib and writes well. OTOH, it's also medium dry. However the big issue is that it's a TANK. Huge and very heavy. Weight overall is 46 grams. The body alone is 30 grams! WAY too heavy for me. So heavy that it slows down my writing and is tiring to write with.

I'm still not quite ready to jump on the Pilot 823, but it seems like a "middle-sized bear" may be the best option. Besides the 823, another possibly might be the Lamy 2000. It's a bit lighter than the 823, but still medium sized (IMO). Decisions, decisions... :)

Thanks,

Dan.

Edited by Dan_public, 12 April 2016 - 02:57.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, 823, cross, century, cleaning, ink

Sponsored Content

|