New Minimalistic Titanium Fountain Pen On A Kickstarter

yaroslaw

Hello everyone!

My name is Yaroslaw Kaminskiy and I'm a fascinated fan of Fountain Pens:) I'm also a penturner and active member of IAP (http://www.penturner...ber.php?u=16693)

I've won several IAP contests, one of them with my custom fountain pen "Peaceful Warrior", made of damascus steel and titanium (http://www.penturner...contest-120076/)

and two of my pens are now part of IAP collection (#20, #21 http://www.penturner...collection.php)

Based on my "early" design 2yrs ago, I've developed a pen that now is on a Kickstarter. It is minimalistic convertible fpn/rollerball titanium pen, that uses international fpn cartrdiges for both fpn and rollerball. And in closed position it is one of the smallest fountain pens in the world:)

And price for titanium pen is just really low - $60 for one pen with worldwide delivery!

And more, as for moment I'm writing, it is still left 11 pens for discounted Early Bird price of $50!

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/146725d1459272707-kitless-anodized-titanium-pens-kickstarter-pentitan.png

Prototypes machined and anodized by me. It was the longest and hardest of my projects, few month long, to get it all right. Production run would be CNC, to allow for quantity and a reasonable price.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/146726d1459272707-kitless-anodized-titanium-pens-kickstarter-2_original.png

It is a convertible pen - user can choose what pen he is about to write today - and change it if he wants to. It uses standart international ink cartridges - both for rollerball and fountain modes.

Nib is Schmidt Iridium Point, made in Germany by Schmidt/Bock. Thikness is "fine", close to Platinum "fine". Rollerball end is also made by Schmidt (as a system).

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/146730d1459273638-kitless-anodized-titanium-pens-kickstarter-5_original.png

In closed position it is one of the smallest fountain pens in the world.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f13/146728d1459272707-kitless-anodized-titanium-pens-kickstarter-3_original.png

And of cause, crazy anodizing colours. I might add few additional color options, if there would be a demand.

It was a hard work to put this all together - not only mine, but also my friends that help me with Kickstarter things.

More details at the link: Pentitan on Kickstarter

I would really appreciate any of your support:)

Comments and questions are much appreciated!

Also, I'd like to here some suggestions - what can we add as a stretch goal? What also do you want to see if you are to back this project?

Additional colours, spare nibs? Any suggestions:)

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yaroslaw

• dapprman

• pararis

• SpecTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Yaroslaw. Firstly, welcome to the forum. I'm not crazy about the colors but I like your pen. It reminds me of the Schrade tactical fountain pen in that you can switch it over to a rollerball. The Schrade is made of Aluminum. Yours is made of Titanium. I think it's awesome to have a Titanium pen for less than 100 dollars. Do you plan on making any pens, in black, silver, red, brown, purple, dark blue or gray, or matte finishes? Also, can a gold nib unit fit into your pen?

Good luck with the project! I posted a link to it here a couple days ago; hopefully that's helped. But input from the creator is always better. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Nice shape. The colours are not my cup of tea though.

A Jowo nib would be a better option as well.

Good luck with your project.

Hey Yaroslaw. Firstly, welcome to the forum. I'm not crazy about the colors but I like your pen. It reminds me of the Schrade tactical fountain pen in that you can switch it over to a rollerball. The Schrade is made of Aluminum. Yours is made of Titanium. I think it's awesome to have a Titanium pen for less than 100 dollars. Do you plan on making any pens, in black, silver, red, brown, purple, dark blue or gray, or matte finishes? Also, can a gold nib unit fit into your pen?

Nice shape. The colours are not my cup of tea though.

A Jowo nib would be a better option as well.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks!!!

We'll definetly add more color options. Right now I can suppose polish silver, dark bronze and dark blue-violet. Need to do more anodizing tests to show pictures.

It would be a first stretch goal, I suppose. But they are really easier to get then those on campaign:)

As for a nib - this pen was specially made to be convertible to rollerball, so with a nib we are limited to Schmidt this size. It's smallest nib they have, and it's fits this "smallest pen" really well.

But as far as I concerned, gold nibs aren't easily available for that feed unit (unless you buy 1000pcs...).

Also, as far as I know, all Schmidt nibs are made by Bock, and Bock vs Jowo quality is a long dispute. At least they are comparable in quality.

Thanks for suggestionsand support!

Stay tuned:)

Thanks!!!

We'll definetly add more color options. Right now I can suppose polish silver, dark bronze and dark blue-violet. Need to do more anodizing tests to show pictures.

It would be a first stretch goal, I suppose. But they are really easier to get then those on campaign:)

As for a nib - this pen was specially made to be convertible to rollerball, so with a nib we are limited to Schmidt this size. It's smallest nib they have, and it's fits this "smallest pen" really well.

But as far as I concerned, gold nibs aren't easily available for that feed unit (unless you buy 1000pcs...).

Also, as far as I know, all Schmidt nibs are made by Bock, and Bock vs Jowo quality is a long dispute. At least they are comparable in quality.

Thanks for suggestionsand support!

Stay tuned:)

The current colors look amazing, though! I'm definitely excited about the color-changing one, that sounds incredible, and all the current colors look great. Dark blue-violet might also be good, but there are so many pens with dark colors out there that I'm just not as interested without something else to make the pen interesting, dark pens are a dime a dozen.

Couple of questions, how much does the finished pen weigh and what is the diameter of the barrel and section? This kind of information should definitely be in the project description since people can't try this pen out before ordering.

Edited by WirsPlm

Diameter of cap/barrel is 13mm. Exact weight I cannot tell right now (they are still at photographers place), I'll update when I have them back.

Received prototypes from photographer, to try another anodizing colors (as well as plain polished) as many have requested.

So, weight of a prototype (production run can vary 1-2g from prototype) is 27g without ink.

Balance is near midpoint of a pen with a nib.

New photos of prototypes, handmade and anodized by me in very, very "crafty" way:) Getting proper anodizing equipment is one of the goals of the campaign:)

post-121186-0-23703300-1460121552_thumb.jpgpost-121186-0-45404500-1460121562_thumb.jpg

Nibs are originally gold-plated, but we will also provide "polished" version by polishing off gold plating, which leaves "golden lines" of nib artwork, which gives extra wow-factor (haven't seen this in other pens).

• 2 weeks later...

We've got project funded! Yooohooo!

Also, we've added an option of unanodized (raw) titanium pen, as many have asked!

post-121186-0-69854900-1461068259_thumb.jpgpost-121186-0-31397700-1461068247_thumb.jpgpost-121186-0-56532300-1461068215_thumb.jpg

Awesome pen, Yaroslaw!! The price you're charging on Kickstarter is very impressive for a titanium pen. Kudos on fully funding this project. Well deserved.

My suggestions:

Broader choice of nibs i.e. F, M, B and perhaps s Stub and EF.

Some darker colors like red, black, navy blue. I know dark colors are ubiquitous, but they are for a reason...very popular.

Continued good luck,

Mary

My suggestions:

Broader choice of nibs i.e. F, M, B and perhaps s Stub and EF.

Some darker colors like red, black, navy blue. I know dark colors are ubiquitous, but they are for a reason...very popular.

Sorry to disappoint you a little, but:

1) MOQ on pen nibs from Schmidt is 1000pcs. It means that with current 200smth pens ordered on Kickstarter I will have A LOT of extras. So I need to choose only one nib type for now (and use it on subsequent projects). And for a small pen nib width of "fine" seems most reasonable.

2) Red and black are just plain impossible on Titanium - we don't use dye, these are natural iridescent colors of titanium oxides. Dark purple and dark bronze are darkest colors, and I think we will add them a little bit later.

Thanks!

Edited by yaroslaw

Looks to be a gorgeous pen but I am so sick of this "minimalism" fad with crowd funded pens. I'm ready for some crazy Art Deco or Art Nouveau designs from up and coming pen makers.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Nice looking pen for a very good price. Great work on this project.

My budget is rather tight right now, but if I do have a little to spare I will surely throw some your way.

OK, good looking, titanium, and reasonably priced, I'm in for one. Hope the happy iris looks as good in person as it does in the photo.

1) MOQ on pen nibs from Schmidt is 1000pcs. It means that with current 200smth pens ordered on Kickstarter I will have A LOT of extras. So I need to choose only one nib type for now (and use it on subsequent projects). And for a small pen nib width of "fine" seems most reasonable.

This may also be an opportunity. Many people in the fountain pen community love the interchangeability of nib units. Perhaps you could offer additional nib units for people who order the pen. That way, you may only sell one pen, but multiple nibs.

Edited by welcmhm

10 days left!

And new (and last one) color - dark bronze!

The color looks gorgeous. Personally, I would have a hard time to choose one color if I should. As with all titanium colors it changes drastically under different light conditions (and different angle of view) - from very dark, almost chocolate brown to bronze-gold. Pictures have just a hint of that change.

post-121186-0-58619300-1462136315_thumb.jpg

post-121186-0-00836600-1462136327_thumb.jpg

post-121186-0-52544700-1462136338_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully raised $15,325 USD with 217 backers

Thanks everyone for your support!

I'll keep you updated as the production goes:)

Congratulations for getting this one off the ground.

Are you thinking of producing a Damascus steel one anytime?