The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Filling Capacity

visconti homo sapiens filling capacity

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pen_Noob

Pen_Noob

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 15:48

Hi,

I recently bought a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, which is always oversize if I am correct, with a F nib.

After writing one fill of ink with it I thought the amount of pages written was quite small, so I inked it again, and started to test it. It wrote exactly 5 A4 pages.

Just to make a comparison David vs. Goliath I inked a Kawecosport vintage piston filler with a OM nib, which writes similarly wet, but with a slightly thicker line, and wrote the same text again. To my suprise, I wrote also 5 pages with this small pen.

So the ink capacity of the Visconti appears laughable.

How I ink it - I pull out plunger, then submerge ink in nib, push plunger, wait 15 secs, rotate knob back in, and that's it. I tried even with pulling out plunger, pushing it back in, wait 15 secs, then do the whole thing again, same results.

Am I doing something wrong or is the ink capacity so puny?

Edited by Pen_Noob, 01 April 2016 - 15:48.

Sponsored Content

#2 pomperopero

pomperopero

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 20:51

The Homo Sapiens Bronze is a pen with relatively low ink capacity. It takes less than 1.3 ml.

Edited by pomperopero, 01 April 2016 - 20:54.

#3 ThePenMason

ThePenMason

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 23:57

I had better results with the travelling ink well than conventional filling.

#4 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:57

Use the two stroke method. As demonstrated by Brian Goulet here.

Same method demonstrated by SBRE Brown

Edited by zchen, 02 April 2016 - 01:58.

#5 Pen_Noob

Pen_Noob

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:18

Thks for posts.

What is very strange is that I had a Visconti Voyager LE, which had a similar mechanism but a huge ink capacity.

Edited by Pen_Noob, 02 April 2016 - 12:19.

#6 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:47

Thks for posts.

What is very strange is that I had a Visconti Voyager LE, which had a similar mechanism but a huge ink capacity.

Visconti makes two kinds of a "power filler," the dual reservoir and the "conventional." The Voyager is a dual reservoir, which has a greater ink capacity. My Homo Sapiens holds about 1.3 ml, if filled with the two-stroke method mentioned above. It's pretty good, comparable to many piston fillers currently available.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#7 Soer

Soer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2016 - 14:01

I don't want to bash Visconti HS, but i am very disappointed in my HS, what a pity.

In ink capacity and craftsmanship.

Edited by Soer, 02 April 2016 - 14:02.

#8 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:00

Recently I had the privilege of working on a Visconte Homo Sapiens Bronze with a medium dreamtouch nib. The pen came to me with nib issues as well as an ink starvation after about a page and half of writing.
I was able to solve all the issues and in the process, did extensive testing on the pen and found that around 5 pages with a medium nib is average for the 1.3 - 1.5 ml ink capacity. I don't think you're doing anything wrong filling the pen.
I will say that when operating properly, this is a fantastic pen to write with. The pen is well balanced and the dreamtouch nib is incredable to write with. The bronze furniture is maintenance free and I don't think it's even possible to scratch the lava resin. If you get a good one, this is a really special pen.

#9 bfischersozin

bfischersozin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:54

Those disappointed with their Visconti Homo Sapiens Fountain Pen, check out my correspondence with Michael Masuyama about common complaints regarding this pen:

http://www.fountainp...pens/?p=3833463

#10 Jezza

Jezza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 19:42

You pretty much have to either use a travelling ink pot, or use some variation of the two-pump fill.  I currently have two Visconti Homo Sapiens with the "power filler."  One of them is bronze and the other is stainless steel.  Both also have extra fine nibs.  The bronze wrote immediately out of the box--a smooth, wet extra fine line.  The stainless steel version was a mess.  It was like a fire hose, and there was a noticeable gap between the tines that made it impossible to get a extra-fine, fine or even a medium line.  Daniel Smith was able to reduce the flow, and make the Homo Sapiens almost worth the cost.  However, both of these pens are pretty wet writers, and the feeds tend to "flood" with ink.  So, even with a 1.3 to 1.5mm capacity, it's not going to take long before they run dry.  Is that a bad thing?  I suppose it's up to the individual.  It is not exactly uncommon.  My Montblanc Heritage cost me more, and has an even smaller captive ink converter inside.  The Aurora Optima and 88 have very small reservoirs, as does the Sailor Realo.  

Still, once tamed, the nibs are lovely.  And, the material feels great in the hand.  I suppose it's all subjective.     

#11 DonLeone

DonLeone

Flexing heavily to the right

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 17:37

My HS had to be sent back thrice (or was it twice? Can't remember, took like half a year) because it would skip. 

Now it works fine and the last send-back the nib was screwed in loose enough for me to be able to easily take it out without a special tool so cleaning is easy now.

Filling capacity from a bottle seems low for the size of the pen. With the traveling inkpot it's fine and I can keep writing for much longer.

The inkpot is great though and it fits most of my pens. It's worth the 50ish bucks because it cuts down on the amount of times I need to pump or twist or whatever to get a full fill.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[ I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

#12 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 19:06

Sorry if this is an old topic but my HS Bronze Age takes roughly 0.6ml with one stroke, and just about 1ml with two strokes. Doesn't sound right based on your reports, but based on this link https://www.nibs.com...ze-age-oversize it says ink capaity is 0.7ml.

Edited by KingRoach, 26 August 2019 - 19:09.

#13 Skv

Skv

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2019 - 19:17

I Just filled mine with a Pineider travel inkwell and according to the scales on the inkwell it takes 1.3 to 1.5 cc when completely filled. That's the decrease in ink level after pumping 4 or 5 times.

#14 bits8964

bits8964

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 17:23

Before using the Visconti travel inkwell I was very disappointed trying to fill my HS.  But after using it to facilitate filling, I find the HS to hold very usable capacity of ink compared to other vacuum/piston fillers.  Just a shame to have to go to that expense. But the pen is a great writer, and IMHO beautiful.

#15 dematante

dematante

dematante

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 18:10

I  call my my HS The Diva. I think I know most of the HS tricks. Getting her, uh, it, to full ink capacity courtesy of Mr. Goulet and others. I've just been using The Diva to write in my journal this February morning, with no problem. A beautiful imprint courtesy of Mr. Mottishaw. And this might have been covered somewhere up-thread, but the blind cap needs to be unscrewed, oh, 1/8, 1/16th of an inch (apologies, no metrics) to increase ink flow. Seems an odd necessity on such an expensive pen. But The Diva has her (its) own eccentricities, and, to me, she (it) is worth it.

B. Leach

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti homo sapiens, filling capacity

Sponsored Content

|