The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Tell Me About Your Kaweco Experiences

kaweco

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 erpe

erpe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:14

The spring does something else. When you put a converter in while the spring is there, it can turn the converter knob when you screw the barrel on. That is unwanted ;-)

Sponsored Content

#42 mcorrea

mcorrea

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:19

I know I'm rather late to the party, but here is my experience with modern Kaweco. I first bought a black sport calligraphy set. All the four nibs are reliable, buttery smooth and have perfect line variation. The big surprise to me was the black kaweco carts that came with the set. I love Kaweco's black, it's rich and saturated, almost like the China (India?) ink that you use with dip pens.

Then I bought a black Student because the shape of the Sport does not fit me so well, i find the difference in diameter between the section and the cap to be too much. So I bought the Student and today I use the 1.1 nib on the Student as a normal, desk writer (I use stubs and italics for everyday writing) and the Sport with the M nib that came with the Student is always in mi pocket as a backup or to fill forms, etc.

Cheers!

Matias

Edited by mcorrea, 23 June 2016 - 08:20.

#43 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 17:23

The spring does something else. When you put a converter in while the spring is there, it can turn the converter knob when you screw the barrel on. That is unwanted ;-)

Yes, I found this out the hard way.

With the converter full of ink & the spring in place, I proceeded to screw on the section.  All of a sudden, ink started gushing out of the nib.  It was then that I realized that by rotating the section against the converter (with the spring in place), I was actually moving the converter knob, which was starting to empty the ink.

I then contacted Kaweco.   They were quick to reply.  Michael Gutberlet (the CEO) wrote that the coil spring inside the latest Dia pens is designed for securing two short carts, stacked back to back.  It's designed to stop rattles.

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques,(machined acrylic/rhodium),1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco SPECIAL fp 14c."M" "B",(0.5- mm & 0.8 mm BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6- stub (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c "BB" flügelfeder factory stub

#44 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2016 - 21:45

You are right,...I could of course fill empty cartridges with a syringe, but this operation can be difficult when you're on the go.  So, it has to be  commercially available cartridges for my Dia.   I just have to find the inks that will work best with my Dia's finicky feed system.

I usually take a couple of Kaweco Sports when I travel. I generally refill the cartridges and when I am about to leave I fill the cartridge. Then I will carry extra cartridges in case I run out. I get the best of both that way.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kaweco

Sponsored Content

|