Tell Me About Your Kaweco Experiences

kansaskyle

I'm thinking about getting a different every day carry (EDC) fountain pen with a Fine nib. I'm okay with using a cartridge pen, in fact, I kind of like the idea so that I can easily pop-in a new cartridge if I run out of ink while I'm out and about.

I am not looking to use the pen for extended writing/correspondence, but more for quick use -- jotting something in a notebook, signing a form, etc.

I like the slimness of the Liliput and was thinking of getting one of those little leather cases so I could carry in a pants pocket. For those that have used a Liliput, do you think the Brass, Copper, Stainless Steel, and/or Fireblue Steel are better because of the heavier weight compared to the aluminum models that are lighter?

Also, for those that have used a Liliput, how does it compare to a Sport, Sport AL, or Brass Sport model? It looks like those are a little bulkier, but they seem like a good option for an EDC pen.

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• kansaskyle

• Barkingpig

• Ronderick

I am a large man with big hands & I have purchased six Kaweco pocket pens (four Sports, the Brass & Raw AL Sports & one Art Sport.) I don't like "slim" pens" so the Liliput doesn't appeal to me. I use a Kaweco case with only the Art Sport because I cannot replace it & like it more than the other plastic sports. I like the patina & wear on the Raw AL & Brass Sports & appreciate their weight when posted they seem to resemble a "real pen" more because of the additional weight. Perhaps this would be equally true of the Lilliput.

Whatever you choose I think you will be happy with the Kaweco "pocket pens." Especially with a fine nib, I have only Double Broads (including a 14KT Gold one I use on the Art Sport) without any issue of flow restriction. Yet I have read here that many users feel the feeds do not offer adequate supply for the broader nibs, so your choice of a fine nib should surely be pleasing with whatever pen you choose

I have the same experiences as BarkingPig.. even on the type and quantity of Kawecos. I have one ART two AL and several Sports.

I also go for the Double Broads and have a 1,5 italic on my Art. The only warning I will give you is that, if you are picky about how fine your Fine nib is, you might want to check it out before purchasing.

I have seen/tried several F nibs on Kaweco that write like an M or even a B, and I have seen M nibs that write very Fine. The Double broads are always good for me... but it seems the "size" between F and M are up in the air.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Shouldn't this topic be in a different sub-forum?

Oh, is there a different place for Kaweko discussion? I found other Kaweko posts in this sub-forum.

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

I use a Kaweco Classic Sport as my everyday pocket carry. I write constantly, so I converted it to an eyedropper pen. I've played with a few different inks in it, but it really likes the Private Reserve Spearmint--writes smoothly and dries quickly, even on shiny Midori MD paper.

Rich

Oh, is there a different place for Kaweko discussion? I found other Kaweko posts in this sub-forum.

I think they may have meant that this post might have been under: "OTHER BRANDS - EUROPE" which include pens made in Germany instead of this sub forum which is for "ITALIAN Pens" (since Kaweco is German made.)

I think they may have meant that this post might have been under: "OTHER BRANDS - EUROPE" which include pens made in Germany instead of this sub forum which is for "ITALIAN Pens" (since Kaweco is German made.)

+1 for this

Aren't people being a little hard on this chap, just because he inadvertently posted in the Italian forum?

Come on people - lighten up!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for the feedback, and I pointing out I was in the wrong sub forum. I didn't take it negatively.

I PMd the mods for this sub forum and asked them to move the thread. Maybe I'll get some more responses in the correct sub forum!

I am fond of the Kaweco body design but have been disappointed in the writing experience, even after having the nib adjusted. The nib feels more like a $1.50 dip pen nib than like a fountain pen nib, and for the first several days after every fill, the lines it produces look very pale. I would love to replace the nib with something better, but someone on another thread wrote that the Kaweco gold nibs are very similar to the gold-plated ones. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has replaced a Kaweco nib with a nib manufactured by some other company.

Only positive experiences. I carry a plastic sport in my jacket and sometimes forget it for weeks when I carry some other pens. It always writes. Due to the screw cap, it is perfectly closed to prevent drying out. I also have a Al-sport in gunmetal, not sure they make these anymore. The AL version are of course heavier and very pleasant to use for longer writings. Apart from the little ones, I also use a Dia2 for daily journaling, a Student and the All-Rounder. They are all great to use and very reliable. Regarding the nib, I would advise to get a medium, it is a bit finer than other European mediums, the fine is a bit wider than others so the difference is not that much. If you don't like the nib, you can have a nib/feed assembly for about 10 dollars.

I am now using a Kaweco Dia2 exclusively for Noodler's Baystate Blue. A wonderful combination!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks to a friend, I was able to try out a Kaweco AL Sport with a fine nib, and I really like the look and feel. He wants his back eventually, so I decided to pick one up for myself.

I decided the Liliput would work, but I was worried about the smallness and the hassle of having to screw on the cap each time I wanted to write something.

Any feedback on good ink cartridges for use with the AL Sport? I know I can refill empty cartridges with a syringe, but I am looking to just use some pre-filled ones and keep some spares with me in my fauxdori notebook. I'm not looking for an iron gall ink, but a good water-resistant blue would be nice.

At this point I am torn about the Kaweco Dia2.

On the positive, this model is of a classic design that's solidly built, comfortable in my hand & would make an excellent DC pen.

I've had a Kaweco 14K BB nib ground to a wonderful 0.9 stub but,......the ink delivery of the Kaweco/Bock 060 nib-unit is still a work in progress. Even though my Pendleton stub writes like a dream, the nib's feed system does not seem to provide a reliable (on the wet side) 6/10 flow of ink. After about a dozen lines the ink flow first slackens, then completely dries up. I never had this kind flow problem with any of my Sailor or pens mounting JoWo nibs (Edison or Franklin-Christoph).

Maybe the Kaweco 060 feed is designed to be used with narrower conventional ball-tipped nibs like an F or M, not with wet writing italics?

The Dia2's nib-section will return to Pendleton for a tweak. He'll be experimenting with widening the ink channel on my "cranky" Kaweco feed.

Hope the fix will work, as I do like all other aspects of my Dia.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

hey Kansaskyle, you do know that Kaweco offers a piston type converter, now?.?. 😃

hey Kansaskyle, you do know that Kaweco offers a piston type converter, now?.?.

I just purchased a piston convertor for my Liliput. It is small but it works.

hey Kansaskyle, you do know that Kaweco offers a piston type converter, now?.?.

Yes, I saw they came out with a tiny one.

I am opting for cartridge so I can keep some spares in my fauxdori in case I am out and about when I run out of ink. I want to be able to just toss in a new cart and keep on writing without having to worry about storing an empty converter and/or refilling on the go.

I always travel with a Liliput in my jacket pocket, but I have to admit, I've had both good and bad experiences with the pen.

I've read plenty of reviews and had the experience of having some unfortunate Liliput examples. My first Fireblue Fine worked well and wrote well out of the box. Same with my second Copper ribbed Fine Liliput.

Shortly later, I gave someone a brass Liliput in medium as a gift, helped them clean and prep it, and it constantly skipped, had hard starts, and would only write with excessive pressure. We turned the pen back in, had it replaced with a copper medium example, and tried it again with the same issues: hard starts, skipping, and needing excessive pressure. I took it to two nibmeisters and they had no idea what was wrong with it; we tried different inks, having it professional cleaned, and different papers to no avail.

I've read that some of these pens have had QC issues, but it was incredibly frustrating. That said, my two examples wrote perfectly, and while I don't use them often, the brass example lives in my pocket in case it's needed.