Typewriter Allcaps Handwriting Script

uzogh

Hi, FPN,

I'm a long time lurker, and this is my first post here.

I've seen a lot of fans of cursive handwriting, but I like would like to get some info about the handwriting style used on the attached photo ( taken from http://www.penaddict.com/blog/2013/12/19/pilot-kakuno-fountain-pen-review ).

Does it have a special name (like spencerian script/cursive)?

Is it a specially developed script, or just a way, people write?

I feel, that it has something from architects standard scripts, but have no idea what to look for.

Thank you.

post-129078-0-50895500-1459349626_thumb.jpg

Edited by uzogh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uzogh

• Randal6393

• Rednaxela

• HildyZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome aboard, uzogh,

Always glad to see new members. America teaches keyboarding as the basic tool of communication. There are exceptions but ... So, very limited education in many schools and print-script, a quick and easy version of Roman capitals, is taught early. Often the only use of a pen or pencil taught in school. We often regret it but time is limited. Why teach the addition and multiplication tables when all students have a calculator? Why teach handwriting when keyboard devices are everywhere?

The main advantage of print-script is that it is legible and easily taught. At least that is the theory. Of course, our lowered quality in schooling in the elementary grades may well account for our poor placement in tests of general knowledge. And I feel may be directly related to the current battle over presidential candidacy. As far as finding templates and exemplars to study, there are many websites that teach elementary print-script.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

While in school, I was taught cursive for Armenian and Russian, and print-script for English. Have no idea why it was so. Soviet schools (I was on my 7th year, when USSR collapsed) were all cursive-oriented.

I find this particular print-script style kind of geeky. All those angles, ease of reading, create (at least for me) feeling of simplicity.

Print-script was adopted as the "first" alphabet to be taught to students. It is a very fast, very legible style that originated in transcribing telegraphs. Normal tool was a rather blunt pencil. No beauty, as it was only meant for getting the information down fast. Then the telegrapher would copy it in cursive or on a typewriter. My dad was a signalman in the Second World War. I remember his use of a pencil for fast notes very well.

If you would like a look at what was taught for cursive in America, take a look at Business Writing or Palmer cursive. The old texts are posted on IAMPETH (www.iampeth.com).

Entertained an Armenian exchange student for a few weeks several years ago. Fascinating gentleman, taught me a lot about your wonderful country. Glad to see you on the board.

Enjoy,

PS: Also known as "block-print".

Edited by Randal6393

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Looks a bit like architectural lettering indeed.

http://idesign93.blogspot.nl/2013/09/architectural-lettering.html

Thanks, it seemes so. BTW, there was an adopted state standard for architectural writing in USSR. With a big probability there should be something like this in US. I will do some research on this. It is quite interesting.

Print-script was adopted as the "first" alphabet to be taught to students. It is a very fast, very legible style that originated in transcribing telegraphs. Normal tool was a rather blunt pencil. No beauty, as it was only meant for getting the information down fast. Then the telegrapher would copy it in cursive or on a typewriter. My dad was a signalman in the Second World War. I remember his use of a pencil for fast notes very well.

If you would like a look at what was taught for cursive in America, take a look at Business Writing or Palmer cursive. The old texts are posted on IAMPETH (www.iampeth.com).

Entertained an Armenian exchange student for a few weeks several years ago. Fascinating gentleman, taught me a lot about your wonderful country. Glad to see you on the board.

Enjoy,

PS: Also known as "block-print".

I've begun to practice this style (will report ;-) in separate reply).

Thank you for warm welcome, and your willingness to help.

We Armenians, are a patriarchal community, and value gentlemanship. Thank you again.

So today I've taken the virginity of 2 Delta Dolcevitas (Fine and Broad) to practice this script.

The first tries were awful, but after some time it have begun to look more or less alike.

I still need to work on too many details, but I've started, and it means, that I'm closer to the finish. ☺

I want to express my gratitude to all the memebers who helped me - you are a greatcommunity indeed.

post-129078-0-50516500-1459458453_thumb.jpg

post-129078-0-85457900-1459458509_thumb.jpg

post-129078-0-63362400-1459458524_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Uncial is another hand that has only majescule (capital) letters.

Here's an ugly link to a beautiful example in the depository.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225300-depository-of-handwriting-and-calligraphy-styles-and-discussion/

I like it a lot. It's round and friendly-looking.

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

Uncial is another hand that has only majescule (capital) letters.

Here's an ugly link to a beautiful example in the depository.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225300-depository-of-handwriting-and-calligraphy-styles-and-discussion/

I like it a lot. It's round and friendly-looking.

It's a real beauty, HildyZ!

But I'm too far from it.

BTW, have you written the exemplar with a regular nib, not a stub?

Looks like you are making progress!

I would love to see an example of cursive Armenian. All I've seen are printed examples, and some medieval manuscripts. My wife is half-Armenian and while I'm only an "odar" (spelling?), i.e. a non-Armenian, I've become pretty good at cooking some of the food, and gained a great appreciation of the culture and history. Her family was from Diyarbakir before the genocide.

Please share an example of cursive Armenian. I would love to see what it looks like.

A welcome glass of Ararat Brandy with you!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Looks like you are making progress!

I would love to see an example of cursive Armenian. All I've seen are printed examples, and some medieval manuscripts. My wife is half-Armenian and while I'm only an "odar" (spelling?), i.e. a non-Armenian, I've become pretty good at cooking some of the food, and gained a great appreciation of the culture and history. Her family was from Diyarbakir before the genocide.

Please share an example of cursive Armenian. I would love to see what it looks like.

A welcome glass of Ararat Brandy with you!

Hi, AAAndrew,

Thank you for warm and frank words, bro.

I have really bad cursive handwriting, and will have to ask my wife to provide some good looking specimens, but here are my tries for now.

The first - is the most "schoolish" cursive

The second - less formal, almost freehand

The third - is a normal quick writing sample.

post-129078-0-87110700-1461334931_thumb.jpg

post-129078-0-82006400-1461334943_thumb.jpg

post-129078-0-26812700-1461334955_thumb.jpg