The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Research By A Member At St. Andrews University

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2016 - 00:34

Took it a little while ago.  Very interesting.  It did remind me somewhat of the Briggs-Myers stuff (I took a course years ago but don't remember offhand how I scored; I *do* remember that it was pointing me at jobs that were more detail oriented, like research, than at the artsy jobs I really thought I wanted).

I did the abbreviated (?) online form a couple of years ago (there was a link off of Facebook -- yeah, yeah, I know, Facebook).  And that time it put me as ISTJ (introvert/sensing/thinking/judging).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#22 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:35

Done in a little over 6 minutes.  Yes, I am competitive and I have always been a very fast test taker.  I really did try to answer all the questions accurately.  Always a pleasure to help folks in one of my favorite places on earth.  

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#23 RJRM

RJRM

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:21

My goodness, it's odd to be psycho-analyzed first thing in the morning. Interesting questions. I'd like to see the results of your study.

#24 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 14:52

Tomorrow end of the day, the links will be removed, as we'll be at the end of data collection :).

It will then be waiting for the report :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#25 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:55

Link has been disabled now :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#26 nl-91

nl-91

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2016 - 16:22

Sorry for the stress, but when can we expect the results? I'm very interested :)

Will they be published right here?

#27 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2016 - 20:26

They will be published here, yes. Exactly where we are not sure yet, but we will certainly put a link here in this topic.

Thanks for the reminder, BTW, I'll check the status of the research article.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#28 mr2txaggie

mr2txaggie

AbbyRose

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:37

It seems we usually all like to support our fellow members in especially their educational endeavors. Therefore if one is comfortable answering a research study by a member then fill out the questionnaire, if not ~~~ then not...

Not that I would over-think anything either, BUT is there a pass or fail !?!😊 tehe. No, aggie, it said a questionnaire NOT test ~~~ I'm so gun-shy from all my studies & grad studies.

Well, by the time I posted my brilliant " speech " the link was removed because data collection had reached its end. But my thoughts still are valid for future studies.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

#29 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 18:04

Dear all,

We did receive the final report from our member "Psychologist" :).

She apologized for her absence, but then, she was analyzing the data and writing the report.

The summary conclusion, to quote:

The main results that I have found was that collectors are more extraverted and opened (on the Big Five personality Inventory) compared to non-collectors. There was no significant difference in self-esteem and State and Trait anxiety between the groups.

The intensity of collecting was not correlated with personality dimensions.

For all of you interested, here is the final report

Attached File  Investigating Personaility Traits Amongst Collectors.pdf   4.45MB   274 downloads

We are checking to see how we can publish this here as an article as well.

Enjoy!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#30 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 20:27

Dear all,

We did receive the final report from our member "Psychologist" :).

Thanks Wimg.. that was a very interesting read.   I never thought collecting was associated with either control issues or self esteem issues, speaking of myself of course, but I never saw that.  I always thought it was more strongly associated with OCD'ness.   I find (myself included) and most of my pen friends a "tad" more OCD than the average population.  ;)

Not only we collect pens/inks/paper.. but we analyze its difference and behavior, we stored them carefully, catalogue them and have some sort of ritualistic way in the way we use them.   :lol: :lol:   .. All good by the way.  ;)

Anyway, thanks again for posting the final report.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#31 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 20:47

This was an interesting study of expected results v actual results of five different psychological "hammers" ie "if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Banging away on the hammers among the study group seemed to show minor differences only in "extroverted" and "openness" for collectors v non-collectors. Some of that difference might be accounted for by willingness to participate in a study conducted via home computer. Some rare collectors of materials will never be identified because the appeal is in having it and not sharing. These may be the abberations expected.

I am relieved to see the paper's conclusions from this more general base: no hoarding, compulsion, proving to the world or your father that you are OK.

My own thought has been that collectors of whatever collect stuff because they like it.

I know I am looking at this study from an old ad guy's p-o-v ... how would I use it.

#32 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:30

Thank you for publishing this article,

#33 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 16:49

Thank you for publishing the final study. It was a fascinating read and very well done for the course which the study was to fulfill. I thought your statistical analysis and display of data were very well done. I commend you on such a fine effort. This could clearly be the beginnings of an excellent master's thesis.

With that said, I would like to offer some constructive (I hope) comments. As a scientist, I would have preferred seeing your hypothesis more clearly stated both in the abstract, end to your introduction and again in your discussion section. Also, there are a number of considerations that may skew the results of the study. As Dickkooty2 indicated, one would be a bias towards collectors that also use computers as a means of communicating their interest in their hobby. Also, perhaps pen collectors would not have been the best subject group. It makes perfect sense that pen collectors would be more extroverted and open because our collections are utilized for communicating - not only with each other, but with those we come in contact with. You likely would get different results if you used coin collectors or fine art collectors. Finally, your questionnaire was biased towards your hypothesis - that collectors lean towards neuroticism, extrovertism and openness. Perhaps a less biased approach in your questions would help you. I would recommend discussion of this type of study not only with psychological researchers, but also with epidemiologists. Many times an epidemiologist must write questionnaires to determine disease etiology, but they must be very careful in their wording to not skew results towards or away from condition of disease.

Overall, very well done!

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#34 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 22:23

I'm really surprised by the results! Pen collectors I have met at pen shows, myself included, tend to be very introverted, so I'm surprised that they are classified as extroverted and not more neurotic than non-collectors...

#35 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2016 - 19:36

I don't worry about "holes in my collection" or deliberately seek out or plan new purchases.

I can assure you, that in this case you aren't a collector. In addition, if you should read the books you buy and do so without worrying about what they will look like afterwards, if they will have aquired a "used" look or not, then you aren't a collector at all. You're a reader, that's all. This is a good thing.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#36 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2016 - 21:34

I can't get the test to appear. I clicked on the Crest, I clicked all over the card but nothing happened. It's just as well. If I took the test, I think that afterwards, they'd be sending the nice young men, in white coats to get me

#37 knarflj

knarflj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 22:48

I can assure you, that in this case you aren't a collector. In addition, if you should read the books you buy and do so without worrying about what they will look like afterwards, if they will have aquired a "used" look or not, then you aren't a collector at all. You're a reader, that's all. This is a good thing.

Thanks, Iris.  I do treat my books very carefully, but yes, I read them, and what's more, I let my husband and children read them, and occasionally even lend them to friends.  That's where they really acquire that "used" look!

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

#38 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2016 - 22:56

What a shame I did not see this earlier. I would have been interested to participate.

#39 S_B_P

S_B_P

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:49

Interesting !

:)

Sponsored Content

|