The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Research By A Member At St. Andrews University

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 14:04

Dearest Members & Visitors of our little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

You may or may not have seen the advert on the right hand side for a research project at St. Andrews University, carried out by one of our own members.
We have placed that there to help out, so we would appreciate it that if you do feel so inclined, and have a few minutes available, you do fill in the questionnaire for this research project.
The results of this project will be published on FPN :).

As a reminder, here follows the entire description of this project, as an image:

fpn_1459346838__research-8.jpg

Click on the image above to access the questionnaire directly.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Admin Team

Edited by wimg, 05 April 2016 - 02:55.
link disabled

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 14:40

WOW !!.. Very interesting.  I was just reading something similar yesterday about the "Collectors" mentality and behavior.  

Will love to participate.   :D

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 15:31

I did yesterday :)

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#4 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,887 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 18:36

Hi,

Many thanks for vetting that Project, especially in this day of phishing and foolery.  :) 

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#5 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 18:38

There are currently 2 threads ongoing on "collector" behavior, one on the Cross forum and another, I believe, on the first stop forum. They're both fascinating.

Bobje reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network:

CHINA Hua Hong Blue Belter ITALY FILCAO Atlantica | FILCAO Roxi INDIA ASA Nauka in Dartmoor | ASA Nauka in Ebonite | ASA Azaadi in Opal | ASA Bheeshma in Graphite | Ranga Model 8

UK Italix Churchman's Prescriptor USA Bexley Prometheus 

INK Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue

NIB EXPERIMENTS Flex

#6 knarflj

knarflj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 19:09

I am stuck on the second question, because I honestly don't know whether I collect anything.  Anyone who came into my house would probably think I collect books, but I have never thought of myself as a "collector", and I don't worry about "holes in my collection" or deliberately seek out or plan new purchases.  I just keep buying books (and occasionally pens) when I think I will use them.  So I own thousands of books, and maybe a dozen pens, but I'm not sure whether I collect anything.  (Yes, I do know that I overthink things…)

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

#7 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 19:16

I am stuck on the second question, because I honestly don't know whether I collect anything.  Anyone who came into my house would probably think I collect books, but I have never thought of myself as a "collector", and I don't worry about "holes in my collection" or deliberately seek out or plan new purchases.  I just keep buying books (and occasionally pens) when I think I will use them.  So I own thousands of books, and maybe a dozen pens, but I'm not sure whether I collect anything.  (Yes, I do know that I overthink things…)

Jenny

I generally find that with any questionnaire, I just fill in my first thought immediately - it saves a lot of time, and you can't get everything right anyway, because questionnaires tend to be generalist by nature, not created specifically for your personal circumstances. The fun part becomes when you do questionnaires in 1/4 or 1/3 of the time others use, and then it becomes a sport ;) <ROFL>.

Anyway, if you buy things which are kinda collectible, and you keep them, or possibly replace some of the items with other items which suit you better, I guess you can be called a collector :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

P.S.: There is no need to fill in the questionnaire, my message was just to indicate that it is not just any internet questionnaire, but a very legitimate one :).

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#8 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 19:24

I generally find that with any questionnaire, I just fill in my first thought immediately ..

Oh Wimg.. you are a man after my own heart.. :wub:  :wub: .. I love to make questionnaires as Sport...  I  go for the Gold..  :D  :D

@Jenny.. don't overthink it.. :) .. and make sure to select "YES".. in the "Do I worry too much?" question...  ;)

C. 

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#9 knarflj

knarflj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 19:25

Thanks, Wim.  I know I don't have to do it, but I thought it would be fun - except that I do tend to overthink everything.  I appreciate the encouragement to just go with the first thought.  My life would probably be simpler if I did that more often. :)

Jenny

#10 knarflj

knarflj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 19:43

@Jenny.. don't overthink it.. :) .. and make sure to select "YES".. in the "Do I worry too much?" question...  ;)

:D

#11 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,682 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 22:35

ahem... not that "I" would overthink an issue (wince-tic).. but Do I understand correctly this is collecting in general, not writing instrument related?

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#12 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 22:48

I took it yesterday. The questions are very intereting and much more dependent on personal attitudes and belief in yourself rather than demos or subject matter. I hope that the results will be published. I am anticipating some structure like Myers-Briggs.

http://www.my-person...CFYqDfgodtK0Crw

#13 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 22:49

Done.

Anything to help  :)

#14 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 23:16

I took it yesterday. The questions are very intereting and much more dependent on personal attitudes and belief in yourself rather than demos or subject matter. I hope that the results will be published. I am anticipating some structure like Myers-Briggs.

http://www.my-person...CFYqDfgodtK0Crw

Last time I did one of those was a 3 days company retreat.   Test were several hours every day and that was like 10 years ago. 

I just completed this one (your link) in approx 7 minutes and I got the same results.   :lol: :lol:

I haven't changed...   :mellow:  :mellow: 

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#15 zwack

zwack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 00:06

Myer Briggs is interesting because I switch between INTP and INFP pretty much all the time. From a different, related test I did my answers seem to be split pretty much evenly between Thinking and Feeling for that piece.

#16 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 00:21

Done.

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#17 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 00:24

ENFJ/ENTJ - I am right on the border between thinking/feeling in terms of decision making.

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#18 wimg

wimg

• FPN Admin

• 23,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 00:29

ahem... not that "I" would overthink an issue (wince-tic).. but Do I understand correctly this is collecting in general, not writing instrument related?

Yes, it would be, just that the person doing the research actually is a member here :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#19 Psychologist

Psychologist

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 00:36

Thank you very much everyone for taking part in this study! It is very kind of you indeed! I appreciate it.

Pen2paper, I am trying to gather information from collectors of different things in order to get a more general picture of this hobby. I also give this questionnaire to non-collectors in order to compare if there is a difference in personality traits (control condition).

Jenny

Jenny, I am myself not sure whether I would call myself a pen collector or not. I have a number of nice pens though and I really like them, but I would not use collecting as a major part of my personal identity, same with books. The identity and classification of your own hobby might be an important variable in this kind of research. Your point is very good, a similar idea will  also appear in the discussion section in my final report.

Thank you very much!

#20 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:35

All done....very interesting questions!

Sponsored Content

|