The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mb 146 Vs 149 Nib Width / Ink Flow

149 146 ink flow nib width vs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VanWolff

VanWolff

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:52

Hello guys,

after years of writing with my Pelikan M600 I am proud to have become part of the elusive MB-community.

Because there is no MB-rep in my region, I have ordered myself a 149 with a medium nib and a 146 F-nib (both in new condition) from a reputable dealer.

rsiUvmy.jpg?1

As you can see both pens write in a very similar manner. I was told and read multiple times that a 149 F-nib may write as wide as a 146 M-nib. Strangely, it now is the other way round. I feel that the 146 writes too wide, not vice versa.

Do you think this is due to a too broad nib or a too generous ink flow?

Should I change the nib with another F-nib or would you advise me on switching to EF?

Kind regards,

VanWolff

Edited by VanWolff, 30 March 2016 - 12:53.

Sponsored Content

#2 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 13:31

Hi VanWolff,

I have exactly the same experience, and I also found that it is extremely hard to tune down the ink flow in the (slightly vintage) 146 I own, and a few I modified for others, so I would personally suggest to go for an EF in that case.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 14:29

Remember nib widths are only ranges and some individual makes a judgement whether it is an F or and M and often near the limits of each range the answer could be either.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 15:59

Well, Montblanc is a manufacturer where many steps are still made by hand. So every Montblanc nib is dragged-in by hand and therefor the nibs are all different.  :)

This is why you should try exactly that pen with that nib which you want to buy - not trying a test nib and buy an unused pen from the box - neither buy a pen at the cheapest online dealer. Go into a shop and get the pen you've tried and you will be satisfied, otherwise you will never know if there hasn't been a pen which would have suited better to your handwriting. :huh:

Edited by penparadise, 30 March 2016 - 16:00.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

#5 Valdair

Valdair

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 16:06

l have a 146 F that writes almost exactly the same width as my 145 M and other 146 M.

#6 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:47

Well, Montblanc is a manufacturer where many steps are still made by hand. So every Montblanc nib is dragged-in by hand and therefor the nibs are all different.  :)

This is why you should try exactly that pen with that nib which you want to buy - not trying a test nib and buy an unused pen from the box - neither buy a pen at the cheapest online dealer. Go into a shop and get the pen you've tried and you will be satisfied, otherwise you will never know if there hasn't been a pen which would have suited better to your handwriting. :huh:

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Edited by meiers, 01 April 2016 - 12:48.

#7 mjchuang9

mjchuang9

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2016 - 14:25

I have found that the tines of F are too saperate these days. That would be the reason why 146 F writes wider (maybe wetter) than 149 M. I am not satisfied with such F with too saperate tines although it Amy write smoothly due to heavier ink flow and the tip of the nib is not as symmetrical as earlier ones.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 149, 146, ink flow, nib width, vs

Sponsored Content

|