Best Sub-$10 Jinhao Fountain Pen?

Darkbulb

I've seen some rather surprisingly positive comments about the Chinese Jinhao fountain pens - to the point where I'm tempted to try one out...but I'd prefer not so spend more than, say, $10 or so.

What model/nib would you say is the 'best' of the lot in that low price range and a good introduction to low-priced Chinese fountain pens?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Darkbulb

• T4TEXAS

• GJMekenkamp

You should be able to buy three or four for $10 on eBay.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

You should be able to buy three or four for $10 on eBay.

Yeah I see prices around 2-3 dollars a lot. I guess my question is if there are models that are a 'bit more expensive' (up to $10) that are generally considered a better buy. If the best Jinhao is $2 I'm fine with that but there are SO many models I feel a bit lost.

"Best" is of course very subjective. To me it would be;

- something that doesn't feel completely light and 'cheap' as you pick it up,

- writes well (F or M nib), and

- has a build quality that allow you to use it for some extended period of time w/out it breaking down on you.

In my experience: Jinhao 250 and 450, both good writers.

But: Jinhao 601: EXCELLENT writer, feels like is is really well built.

Costs 9 dollars on eBay, but in my opinion it is worth it!

I will post some pictures today (if I find having some time left, or when taking a break)

Cheers!

Edited by GJMekenkamp

The 450, 750, 159, and 1200 all have the big number 6 nib, and in my experience

all are wet and probably on the broader side of medium.

The 250, and 500 as well as many, many others, have the no 5 nib and are more of a medium.

If it was my $10, I'd use it to buy 2.

A 500 (excellent very well balanced pens for everyday use) and either a 1200 or a 750 to get the best of both worlds for my money.

If I was limited to 1 pen, I'd buy a coffee 500.

Unfortunately the 217 is no longer available or it would have been a "no contest"

Ian

x450 and x750

I have three of each and all of them are excellent writers. The 159 is a good writer too, but:

• It's large and heavy (size of a MB149 but with a lot of extra weigt)
  • Impractical for quick note taking. Takes several turns to uncap vs. the x[47]50 snap caps.

Their weakest point (as is the case with all Chinese pens) is the converter. I'd advise to get a box of 10 converters ... they can be had for less than 5 bucks (just search for "10pcs Jinhao Converters" and pick a seller you like) and will come in handy down the road.

-k

I always keep a 611 in my pocket. I'm probably going to get a couple more. And I don't like slim pens, but I love this one.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

http://stores.ebay.com/hejing1314/$1.99-Preferential-/_i.html?_fsub=7440466015&_sid=0&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

This seems to be a Jinhao/Bauer outlet with free shipping. Look around, avoid the bling. The Jinhao original classic designs in plastic are great. The metal ones tend to be too heavy for posting.

I've been on a binge of late and have been buying many Chinese pens mentioned in this sub-forum, including several Jinhaos.

Most of their pens have the same generic nibs and as noted the x450/750/159 have the large #6 nibs, but they are cheap enough that you can fun with the micromesh to fine tune the nib if you want a finer or stub/italic line. But as they come delivered the nibs are generally pretty smooth and ok to use without any further ado.

The 159s are a bit massive but I bought several simply because I like the nice bright colours. The 450s and 750s come in a wide range of colours and designs and you ought to be able to find one that takes your fancy. The 886 also comes in bright colours but the couple that I inked had flow problems and the nibs just didn't seem as nice and smooth as the big ones.

I do quite like the 8812 wood barrel model which is spoilt perhaps just by the clip with the ugly shield on it. The 500 is also quite nice in the dark marbled colours and has no clip shield.

But my long term favourite has been the 15, sometimes called "Moka" with its design nod to the Waterman Serenite. It's unusual in that it has a fine (hooded) nib which is quite nice. The only drawback with this one was that it came with a horrible slider style converter which I really must change at some point, but as noted, spare ones can be picked up cheaply.

Apart from the 886, the only other problem I've had was with a 650 Carved Shells model. This had a dry start problem but closer investigation showed it wasn't the same model that is generally available on ebay. The one I have has a different cap and smaller nib. I bought another with the larger nib which has yet to arrive. These were a bit more expensive at about £13-16. The one with the problem was advertised as 'Abalone' and 'Monther of Pearl' (sic) and was much cheaper (about £9)..

I would buy just on the basis of how the pen looks and appeals to you as they all write pretty much the same (though Ian the Jock's comments on line width apply).

Darkbulb

The Jinhaos are all excellent value and I honestly haven't had a bad experience yet with any of them, however, if you are looking to spend your $10 on one pen, and it needn't be a Jinhao, have a look at the Hero 7022.

It really is a remarkable pen for the money.

I use it as my "benchmark" for Chinese pens and so far out of around 50-60 pens, I have found only 2 which I would definitely say are better.

And it's a medium.

Buying 2 or 3 Jinhaos and being knocked out by them when they arrive is a great feeling though.

Ian

I'll second the 601 - a Parker Sonnet "tribute". One of the best Chinese pens I have ever used.

In my experience: Jinhao 250 and 450, both good writers.

But: Jinhao 601: EXCELLENT writer, feels like is is really well built.

Costs 9 dollars on eBay, but in my opinion it is worth it!

I will post some pictures today (if I find having some time left, or when taking a break)

Cheers!

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

I went through a phase of buying lots of cheap and (not so) cheerful Chinese pens. There are only two left in my collection. A Duke Shark, and several Jinhao 159s which I use for testing new inks. They just seem more reliable than the norm. Mind you, you have to like a large pen.

Edited by mariom
=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

My Jinhao X450s are lovely, but the two that I carry with me everyday are a gold x750 and an orange 159. The 159 is a little heavy, but perfectly balanced when posted. What ever you get, you need to wash out the nib unit and converter.

• 3 weeks later...

http://stores.ebay.com/ichina520

I have ordered from this store, pens, cartridges and converters a few times.

I really like all the Jinhao pens I've gotten, and that's quite a few, with the exception of the 599. It has a triangular shaped grip section that is possible the most uncomfortable thing I've ever written with.