Beginner Question

ericlindheim

Hello everyone,

I have just started my interest in fountain pens, and just joined this network. On my post in the Introduction forum, I was advised to buy a Lamy Safari as a good starter pen. However, upon looking, it seems like the Lamy Al-Star is better. Is there really any difference in quality?

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• FOUR X FOUR

• kapanak

• ericlindheim

Take a look at this post. They're very similar pens, with mostly aesthetic differences.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/89911-lamy-al-star-vs-safari/

Also, what are you planning on using the pen for? If show, you might prefer the Al-Star and its aluminum construction. It will also have a slightly heavier weight to it. That said, it'll dent and show wear much more easily. The Safari's plastic construction is more durable and might be a better workhorse.

In case you were wondering, The Al-Star and Safari can share or swap nibs, so if you want to order both, you could get one in Fine and one with a Stub nib, and try both.

You might also consider adding the Pilot Metropolitan to your list of intro-pens to check out.

Edited by Out0Mind

Take a look at this post. They're very similar pens, with mostly aesthetic differences.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/89911-lamy-al-star-vs-safari/

Also, what are you planning on using the pen for? If show, you might prefer the Al-Star and its aluminum construction. It will also have a slightly heavier weight to it. That said, it'll dent and show wear much more easily. The Safari's plastic construction is more durable and might be a better workhorse.

In case you were wondering, The Al-Star and Safari can share or swap nibs, so if you want to order both, you could get one in Fine and one with a Stub nib, and try both.

You might also consider adding the Pilot Metropolitan to your list of intro-pens to check out.

Pretty much!

I think the AlStar costs a bit more than the Safari, and the Met less. I own all three in multiples, and I'm pretty happy with them.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The Safari is an excellent starter pen for so many reasons. The Al-Star shares most of those qualities except the colour will chip off a little and it will show dents. The writing experience is just as good with both - at least to me - I have over 15 Safari / Vista / Al-Stars plus several that I have given to friends as intro-pens. The nibs can be swapped on the fly, so you can change nibs without taking the whole pen apart and I will go from EF and F to 1.1 according to my mood. The weight of the AL-Star isn't significant and it really comes down to colour...

On a side note, the Safari doesn't have to be more expensive than a Metropolitan (a pen that I strongly detest) - I buy mine out of the Netherlands for around USD 18 which is a far cry from the $37 MSRP that some places are asking.

All the best with your new pen!

You can go either way. The guts of the two pens are identical. Part of the enjoyment of fountain pens is their aesthetics. I would choose the one that appeals to you more. If you get the Al-Star, just note that the finish can scratch if you are rough with your pen. You can just get an inexpensive pen sleeve for it, or make sure you don't put it in a pocket with coins or keys or something that can scratch it.

IMO, I find the only Safari that appeals to me are the matte finish colors like charcoal black. The shiny plastic colors look really chincy to me. Were I in the market for one of these pens, I would probably go with the Al-Star just because I like the colors that are available.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Thanks everyone for the advice. I eventually went with an Al-Star.

Again, I really appreciate all the help!

If there was a transparent aluminum I'd get it in a heartbeat

You could always ask Scotty to make one for you. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have an Al-Star that has been my daily work pen for a couple of years...it is beginning to show some wear but i feel it adds to the aesthetic of the pen. I have a fine nib and the writing experience for my note taking and doodling in meetings is great.

The ALstar demonstrators are also very nice

Are you perchance referring to the Lamy Vista? Which is made of a clear harder plastic, while the Safari is made of a softer material.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The LAMY Safari is a very good, functional fountain pen. It takes five or six different nibs, that can be changed in 23 seconds. Its ABS plastic is easy to clean, and nearly indestructible. The clear version is called "Vista". The aluminum body version is called "Al-star".

Choose one. Get it ! Flush it. Ink it. Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If there was a transparent aluminum I'd get it in a heartbeat

You could always ask Scotty to make one for you. ;)

Sapphire has similar properties to Transparent Aluminum ... And Aluminium Oxynitride is quite literally transparent Aluminum ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

That would make for a nice limited edition Safari-esque pen, wouldn't it ... Bullet Proof transparent glass-like demonstrator.

Edited by kapanak

Sapphire has similar properties to Transparent Aluminum ... And Aluminium Oxynitride is quite literally transparent Aluminum ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

That would make for a nice limited edition Safari-esque pen, wouldn't it ... Bullet Proof transparent glass-like demonstrator.

So much yes. I'd buy that in an instant. Maybe. I mean, that would probably be a good deal more expensive than your average AL-star, but still.

So much yes. I'd buy that in an instant. Maybe. I mean, that would probably be a good deal more expensive than your average AL-star, but still.

Me too. I would buy that instantly.

However, there are many other resilient metal nitrate ceramics with similar properties, all of which are machinable too.

I think there is a market for ceramic pens :D Transparent or not :)