The Future Of Fountain Pens.

DevrimJan

I often stop and think about the current state of the fountain pen industry. The world is moving ever more towards a digital reality, meaning that the need for writing is in decline, which naturally tends to cause the demand for pens in general to go down. I am not trying to deride this movement toward digitalisation, and by no means would I say that we should, for example, be keeping accounts records or writing business correspondence and documentation by hand. That would be insane.

However, people still do a lot of writing. The problem is that consumers are turned away by any apparent complexity and inconvenience. For example, smartphones are immensely popular at the moment. But manufacturers are constantly trying to simplify the user experience, and very few people that use smartphones have any deep understanding in them whatsoever. A fountain pen can never be as simple as a ball point. People look at fountain pens, and all their fussiness (needing to clean your pen, needing to always hold it properly, needing to buy ink, fill your pen with it, wait for it to dry, etc.), and just get put off.

And this can be seen very clearly by looking at how the fountain pen market has done over the past 50 years, after the perfection of the ballpoint, and by just how rare it is to see someone actually use one. Fountain pens have become incredibly niche. And I'm sure that 10 years ago things were looking very bleak indeed. However, ironically, the development of the internet seems to be bringing about a renaissance in the fountain pen world. Pen reviewers, such as SBREBrown and Matt Armstrong, and retailers, such as the Goulet Pen Company, as well as forums such as this one, have provided a very easy way to access the fountain pen world, and have greatly expanded their visibility. I don't have any facts or figures to back me up, but it does seem like fountain pen usage may be increasing.

So what are your thought? Do you have any insights that you may be able to share? How do you see the future of fountain pens taking shape?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DevrimJan

• zwack

• jar

• Rednaxela

I might not have any insights but I think the market for fountain pens has already shifted towards the modern mentality: consume and throw away or get expensive items to flash your material status at others.

I'd say in the first category we have cheap, plastic, colorful pens that get the job done.

In the second one we have overly expensive status symbols from a handful of manufacturers. Here, they must be visible, with large exposed nibs, big overall, with contrasting colors if possible. I've always wondered why pens such as the Pelikan M100, Waterman Edson, etc. are so big? Do their users have huge hands? I think not, I assume it's because it's meant to be a phallic symbol, a kind of a scepter. But I digress.

I'm thinking in the future the market will shrink even more, and while we'll still have fountainpens, the first category will shrink even more, while the latter will contain fpens used as accessories.

Edited by utopic

The problem is that consumers are turned away by any apparent complexity and inconvenience. [...] People look at fountain pens, and all their fussiness (needing to clean your pen, needing to always hold it properly, needing to buy ink, fill your pen with it, wait for it to dry, etc.), and just get put off.

[...]

However, ironically, the development of the internet seems to be bringing about a renaissance in the fountain pen world.

On the other hand, internet chatter makes everything complicated and involved, so the fusspots will put a few people off.

I've never found fountain pens inconvenient or impractical in any way, and I've been using them since school, but sometimes you look at internet forums and come away with the impression that fountain pens are expensive items of jewellery for people who can't afford actual works of art, things that you have to baby, things that have to be cleaned every month in strong chemicals, things that are useless without a whole panoply of special equipment from desk blotters to enema bulb syringes.

It's not just a fountain pen thing, either. You can't even look for a review of a razor without bring assailed by a bloke telling you that your shaving soap is not as good as his or that you're not shaving properly if you don't take thirty minutes to do it.

This does, however, mean there's clearly a market for "apparent complexity and inconvenience"... ;)

My issue with new fountain pens in 2015 is how it's less about the writing aspect, and more about the aesthetics - sure, we have Pilot and Pelikan, but Waterman and Parker- all they seem to do is drop nib sizes, and add more gaudy finishes to their lines, while jacking up the price.

Even the more "pens as a tool" brands don't seem to have that great of quality control on nibs- I've handled and bought dozens of new Pelikans and Lamys - they all either aren't as smooth as they can be, or have baby bottom flow issues - my beat to (bleep) vintage pens seem to do better

Today yet another hospital got shut down by hackers taking over the computer system and holding all the records for ransom.

My Website

Fountain pens are a niche item and a collectible today. Older people like me who used them as children will use fountain pens, so there is a sort of market for a while. Then there are collectors and people who think it's quaint to write with a fountain pen. Eventually they will be collectibles mainly. I personally see no need to buy any new pens. To me they are junk compared to the workhorse pens I used in school and in my IT career.

As far as a hospital being shut down by hackers holding data for ransom, I think there should be a death penalty for computer hacking by unauthorized and non-governmental hackers. Former governmental IT manager here, we would get thousands of hack attempts every day. Eradicate them and identity thieves.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I might not have any insights but I think the market for fountain pens has already shifted towards the modern mentality: consume and throw away or get expensive items to flash your material status at others.

I'd say in the first category we have cheap, plastic, colorful pens that get the job done.

In the second one we have overly expensive status symbols from a handful of manufacturers. Here, they must be visible, with large exposed nibs, big overall, with contrasting colors if possible. I've always wondered why pens such as the Pelikan M100, Waterman Edson, etc. are so big? Do their users have huge hands? I think not, I assume it's because it's meant to be a phallic symbol, a kind of a scepter. But I digress.

I'm thinking in the future the market will shrink even more, and while we'll still have fountainpens, the first category will shrink even more, while the latter will contain fpens used as accessories.

I agree with you regarding the high end pens. Their increase in size and elaborate decoration demonstrates clearly the movement towards becoming status symbols. There is a reason that most pens from 50+ years ago are much smaller than said oversize pens, and that is that pens back then were the only writing instrument available, and so practicality was the foremost concern.

However, regarding the entry level market, my impression is that it isn't in decline at all. The quality is quite high (Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ECO, Faber Castell Loom, etc.), and the value proposition is definitely increasing. 3/4 of the pens I mentioned are relative new comers to the fountain pen scene, which shows that firms are finding fertile ground for new product lines.

Today yet another hospital got shut down by hackers taking over the computer system and holding all the records for ransom.

Fountain pens are a niche item and a collectible today. Older people like me who used them as children will use fountain pens, so there is a sort of market for a while. Then there are collectors and people who think it's quaint to write with a fountain pen. Eventually they will be collectibles mainly. I personally see no need to buy any new pens. To me they are junk compared to the workhorse pens I used in school and in my IT career.

As far as a hospital being shut down by hackers holding data for ransom, I think there should be a death penalty for computer hacking by unauthorized and non-governmental hackers. Former governmental IT manager here, we would get thousands of hack attempts every day. Eradicate them and identity thieves.

Indeed, we got attacked attacked by ransom ware earlier this month at my place of work. Terrible stuff :/

I agree with you regarding the high end pens. Their increase in size and elaborate decoration demonstrates clearly the movement towards becoming status symbols.

While that is true of some high end pens it is not quite a generalization. I have some pens folk might consider as historical standard size that get used like any of my other pens and that also might also be considered as high end and far from status symbols. In fact the two most common comments when they are even recognized or noticed are "Pretty" and "My grandfather had a pen like that."

Some examples might be the Ferrari da Varese Yesterday or Savant; Yard-o-Led Corinthian, standard size Viceroy, pocket Victorian; Sheaffer Legacy family; Nakaya Piccolo; Platinum #3776 Maki-e and Modern Classic Maki-e Style; Sailor 1911M; Danitrio Hanryo; Pilot Nippon Art; Montegrappa Juliet; modern Conway Stewart 58 and Dinky; Aurora small 88 Sterling silver...

My Website

While that is true of some high end pens it is not quite a generalization. I have some pens folk might consider as historical standard size that get used like any of my other pens and that also might also be considered as high end and far from status symbols. In fact the two most common comments when they are even recognized or noticed are "Pretty" and "My grandfather had a pen like that."

Some examples might be the Ferrari da Varese Yesterday or Savant; Yard-o-Led Corinthian, standard size Viceroy, pocket Victorian; Sheaffer Legacy family; Nakaya Piccolo; Platinum #3776 Maki-e and Modern Classic Maki-e Style; Sailor 1911M; Danitrio Hanryo; Pilot Nippon Art; Montegrappa Juliet; modern Conway Stewart 58 and Dinky; Aurora small 88 Sterling silver...

Yes, of course there are exceptions. To be honest, most high end pens aren't what would be considered oversize, but they are still bigger than the norm over half a century ago. But it cannot be denied that there has been an evolutionary pressure on high end pens to get bigger and heavier, and they are no longer as well suited to very long writing sessions.

On the other hand, internet chatter makes everything complicated and involved, so the fusspots will put a few people off.

I've never found fountain pens inconvenient or impractical in any way, and I've been using them since school, but sometimes you look at internet forums and come away with the impression that fountain pens are expensive items of jewellery for people who can't afford actual works of art, things that you have to baby, things that have to be cleaned every month in strong chemicals, things that are useless without a whole panoply of special equipment from desk blotters to enema bulb syringes.

It's not just a fountain pen thing, either. You can't even look for a review of a razor without bring assailed by a bloke telling you that your shaving soap is not as good as his or that you're not shaving properly if you don't take thirty minutes to do it.

This does, however, mean there's clearly a market for "apparent complexity and inconvenience"... ;)

Indeed, there is a lot of excess fussiness. I think it's because most of the people who do post and make reviews about these things (be they fountain pens, video games, cars, etc.) are generally very involved about the topic, and will tend to hold the objects of their desire quite close to their heart, and perhaps will have a greater tendency to obsess over the minutiae and be overly fussy. Think of car hobbyists and their insane devotion to their vehicles, and hardcore computer people who build computers with two or more graphics cards and multiple core processors, and then have some insane water cooling system, all of which is rather superfluous for the vast majority of applications.

And I have not found fountain pens to be inconvenient to use, hence my usage of the word "apparent".

My issue with new fountain pens in 2015 is how it's less about the writing aspect, and more about the aesthetics - sure, we have Pilot and Pelikan, but Waterman and Parker- all they seem to do is drop nib sizes, and add more gaudy finishes to their lines, while jacking up the price.

Even the more "pens as a tool" brands don't seem to have that great of quality control on nibs- I've handled and bought dozens of new Pelikans and Lamys - they all either aren't as smooth as they can be, or have baby bottom flow issues - my beat to (bleep) vintage pens seem to do better

Indeed, the variety of nibs has been reduced quite drastically for some manufacturers (I'm looking at you, Pelikan).

Look at the growth of the entry level market. Definitely high quality pens that will last for decades, and which are surely not targeted at older folks who used fountain pens in the past, but rather at young, possibly first-time fountain pen users.

If we look at possible analogies of traditional methods overlapped by technology, there are things like oil paints and brushes, musical instruments, manual transmissions, mechanical watches, or LP vinyl records. All of these require learning a skill in return for a rewarding experience. And all of them can be bypassed via computer by someone who just wants some sort of result, not the experience, or who feels intimidated by the learning part. Yet all have survived. They have simply evolved from being the mainstream way of achieving an end to being methods used by enthusiasts.

To Jar's point, in light of the data it seems a bit glib to call manual bookkeeping or paper-based communications "insane". In fact there is virtually no evidence that the massive computerization of business practices has increase productivity, or benefited anyone other than the vendors of the technology. And there is growing evidence that the amount of risk we have incurred by computerizing practices without understanding the reliability and security implications is far greater than anyone would have knowingly accepted. The crazy person who runs a business with manual books and human bookkeepers may have the last laugh yet.

ron

I agree with you regarding the high end pens. Their increase in size and elaborate decoration demonstrates clearly the movement towards becoming status symbols. There is a reason that most pens from 50+ years ago are much smaller than said oversize pens, and that is that pens back then were the only writing instrument available, and so practicality was the foremost concern.

However, regarding the entry level market, my impression is that it isn't in decline at all. The quality is quite high (Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ECO, Faber Castell Loom, etc.), and the value proposition is definitely increasing. 3/4 of the pens I mentioned are relative new comers to the fountain pen scene, which shows that firms are finding fertile ground for new product lines.

I'm glad you understood what I meant.

When I was talking about the market shrinking, I was looking around and thinking about what goes on: we're not exchanging letters, we're posting this on a forum, we're not going to to store to buy a TV, to sign on a receipt/warranty certificate, we're ordering it online, we're not writing letters to the sweetheart, we're sending her texts, etc. I'm saying there's less demand to write, no matter the physical instrument.

Add to this the fact that we're being driven to run on the fast lane, and that we're not required to make the best of anything, usually not even 'the better' but just the 'good enough' and in this context it makes sense to use a Bic vs twisting the cap 3 times and then finding the sweet-spot...

If we look at possible analogies of traditional methods overlapped by technology, there are things like oil paints and brushes, musical instruments, manual transmissions, mechanical watches, or LP vinyl records. All of these require learning a skill in return for a rewarding experience. And all of them can be bypassed via computer by someone who just wants some sort of result, not the experience, or who feels intimidated by the learning part. Yet all have survived. They have simply evolved from being the mainstream way of achieving an end to being methods used by enthusiasts.

To Jar's point, in light of the data it seems a bit glib to call manual bookkeeping or paper-based communications "insane". In fact there is virtually no evidence that the massive computerization of business practices has increase productivity, or benefited anyone other than the vendors of the technology. And there is growing evidence that the amount of risk we have incurred by computerizing practices without understanding the reliability and security implications is far greater than anyone would have knowingly accepted. The crazy person who runs a business with manual books and human bookkeepers may have the last laugh yet.

ron

I need to clarify what I was referring to when I used the word 'insane'. It is not insane to keep physical copies of documentation or send physical letters. What I said would be insane is me telling everyone that they should hand write all business correspondence and documentation, and keep hand written accounting records. I reiterate that that would be insane of me to do.

When I was talking about the market shrinking, I was looking around and thinking about what goes on: we're not exchanging letters, we're posting this on a forum, we're not going to to store to buy a TV, to sign on a receipt/warranty certificate, we're ordering it online, we're not writing letters to the sweetheart, we're sending her texts, etc. I'm saying there's less demand to write, no matter the physical instrument.

Add to this the fact that we're being driven to run on the fast lane, and that we're not required to make the best of anything, usually not even 'the better' but just the 'good enough' and in this context it makes sense to use a Bic vs twisting the cap 3 times and then finding the sweet-spot...

I did mention in the first paragraph of my OP that the amount of writing has gone down, and so the demand for pens of all kinds has seen a decrease in demand. But for the remainder of the writing done, I would say that the amount written by fountain pen is beginning to increase.

Edited by DevrimJan

Yes, of course there are exceptions. To be honest, most high end pens aren't what would be considered oversize, but they are still bigger than the norm over half a century ago. But it cannot be denied that there has been an evolutionary pressure on high end pens to get bigger and heavier, and they are no longer as well suited to very long writing sessions.

Again, I simply have not found that to be true.

In the past there were also large pens, Sheaffer Oversize Balance, Flattop, Parker Senior Duofold, lots of big old Waterman pens, many heavy and with overlays and filigree.

I find even the XL ST Dupont Olympio/Orpheo or Yard-o-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian or Montblanc 149 or Dumas or Montegrappa Extra 1930 or Privilege Deco or Delta OS Dolcevita or Danitrio Takumi or Platinum Izumos or GvFC Classics or Caran d'Ache Varius are so well balanced that regardless of the weight that regardless of the weight they can be used comfortably over extended writing sessions.

There have always been larger fountain pens and smaller smaller fountain pens, heavier fountain pens and lighter fountain pens and well made pens will be comfortable to use regardless of the size or weight.

My Website

Again, I simply have not found that to be true.

In the past there were also large pens, Sheaffer Oversize Balance, Flattop, Parker Senior Duofold, lots of big old Waterman pens, many heavy and with overlays and filigree.

Who said that there weren't large pens in the past? Take a look at the Parker Giant, for example. But the vast majority of pens, across all price levels, were smaller than the average high end pen of today.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/rickp/ToledoOne.jpg

(Credit to Rick Propas for the picture)

Look at the picture above. The largest pen is an M800 size, a pen that would not be considered oversize today. And those older Pelikans weren't considered small in their time.

I find even the XL ST Dupont Olympio/Orpheo or Yard-o-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian or Montblanc 149 or Dumas or Montegrappa Extra 1930 or Privilege Deco or Delta OS Dolcevita or Danitrio Takumi or Platinum Izumos or GvFC Classics or Caran d'Ache Varius are so well balanced that regardless of the weight that regardless of the weight they can be used comfortably over extended writing sessions.

There have always been larger fountain pens and smaller smaller fountain pens, heavier fountain pens and lighter fountain pens and well made pens will be comfortable to use regardless of the size or weight.

Who said that large and oversized pens are uncomfortable to write with? I simply stated that they were less well suited to longer writing sessions, when weight becomes a significant factor. As writing has moved from a necessity of daily life to an activity of leisure, this has diminished in importance. Mind you, it's not like it's uncomfortable to write with an oversized pen for an extended period of time, just less comfortable. It can also be uncomfortable for some people to write with super light pens, but I am speaking in generalities.

Edited by DevrimJan

I think you all have some excellent points and I thought I would chime in with my perspective. I am a young twenty something year old and I was introduced to fountain/ calligraphy pens by my mother.

While there are a LOT of people my age who are content with texts to their dates or spouse, I am seeing a resurgence in the desire to make something last. Texts don't last. Letters do.

More people my age buy knives and cookware with the intent of decades of use. Cast iron has seen greater demand. Fountain pens and cursive are gaining interest. Smoked, brined and pickled foods that take months to prepare are in demand and my peers are learning that while we grew up in a disposable lifestyle/age, there are severe disadvantages to it. We were taught it was always better to buy a new "one" and we have lost skills to repair things ourselves or local specialists. We are having to relearn a lot of skills.

While I agree that the future of fountain pens may seem bleak at times, I think there is hope. Particularly with individuals who are looking to live their life with more meaning.

Agreed that we (as a society) write much less than we used to, but I still write quite a bit every day. I think that writing is something that we overlook and don't think much about. I introduced a friend to fountain pens recently and he tells me that he's taking more and better notes now. He even told me that his notes now have 'swagger.' I need to find out what that means, but he seems happy about it. If you grab whatever pen is nearest and don't really enjoy the experience, then you probably will find yourself writing the least amount possible.

A year ago I gave both of my sisters pens for their birthdays, thinking that they would enjoy them. I had no idea what would happen - they both are giant fp fans, and have gotten many 10s of their friends into the hobby as a result of their enthusiasm, and are keeping Goulet Pens on a strong growth path as well as a local retailer or two. <g>

This article is now 4 years old, but it tells an interesting story about the rising popularity of the fountain pen: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18071830

It's a niche. Most people don't really care what they write with. For those of us that do, we have lots of terrific options to choose from. Whenever I give someone a pen, I spend a bit of time with them and help them go through their first fill, talk about cleaning, etc. That way the mystery is gone and they're comfortable that they know how to use it. I was given a cartridge/converter pen as my first, and nobody told me how to use it. It took several years before I dared dunk the nib and section into a bottle of ink.

Communication with the masses is best done digitally. Look at us - a group of pen enthusiasts typing on this forum to share our thoughts. But in the increasingly connected world we live in, handwritten letters, invitations and thank you notes are increasingly rare and (in my experience), appreciated.

It seems that most European brands (except Lamy) have put most of their effort/investment into the luxury market. I am not sure this is a good strategy, as more and more pens are getting priced out of the range of the "pen community." How many $500 pens can fountain pen enthusiasts buy? Clearly, not enough for Conway Stewart and OMAS.

Fortunately, the Japanese pen makers have much more complete catalogs, with great pens along the entire price/quality continuum.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/