Questions On Faber-Castell Loom & Piston Coveter

Samantha_L

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Fountain Pen Network, and I have some question regarding Faber-Castell Loom. And piston converter.

I just brought Loom, and when I put in the converter in and turn it a little to ensure it is in place, the nib/feed started turning too. Sort of like unscrewing from the body.

Might be a stupid question but why does it do that? Is it because it is for changing the nib?

Another burning question I have is whenever I ink up my pens using a piston converter, there is this air that goes up first before the ink starts to fill the converter.

I have fully submerged the nib into the ink, so I am wondering why is it like that? Any suggestions for me to get rid of the air when I ink up my pens next time? :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old_Inkyhand

• DevrimJan

• Samantha_L

• majolo

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very hard to get rid of all the air. The best method (IMHO) is to fill the converter directly from the bottle, wipe it and then put it into the pen.

In my Faber-Castell Ambition it is quite easy to unscrew the nib unit, sometimes it becomes slightly loose without a good reason, so I always make sure that this is tightly screwed before I start writing. If you have to turn your converter, I suggest you to hold the nib and feed at the same time, to stop them from turning (be careful and don't stain your fingers :) ). I don't think that you really need to move the converter after having it properly installed. I've had no problems with mine - so far.

Cartridge converter fountain pens usually have a stalk that extends from the feed. In the case of pens with an unscrew-able nib unit (such as your loom), this stalk is often attached to the housing of the nib and feed. The stalk is there so that it fits into the converter/cartridge nipple. The friction between the stalk and the nipple of the cartridge or the converter is what keeps them in place. If the friction is too great, and you try and turn the converter clockwise, then the converter will end up turning the nib unit as well, causing it to unscrew. If this is indeed the issue, then turning the converter counter clockwise should not cause the nib unit to unscrew.

It is very hard to get rid of all the air. The best method (IMHO) is to fill the converter directly from the bottle, wipe it and then put it into the pen.

In my Faber-Castell Ambition it is quite easy to unscrew the nib unit, sometimes it becomes slightly loose without a good reason, so I always make sure that this is tightly screwed before I start writing. If you have to turn your converter, I suggest you to hold the nib and feed at the same time, to stop them from turning (be careful and don't stain your fingers :) ). I don't think that you really need to move the converter after having it properly installed. I've had no problems with mine - so far.

Cartridge converter fountain pens usually have a stalk that extends from the feed. In the case of pens with an unscrew-able nib unit (such as your loom), this stalk is often attached to the housing of the nib and feed. The stalk is there so that it fits into the converter/cartridge nipple. The friction between the stalk and the nipple of the cartridge or the converter is what keeps them in place. If the friction is too great, and you try and turn the converter clockwise, then the converter will end up turning the nib unit as well, causing it to unscrew. If this is indeed the issue, then turning the converter counter clockwise should not cause the nib unit to unscrew.

Thanks guys!

Also welcome to the FPN :) I forgot to include it in my first message! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Also welcome to the FPN :) I forgot to include it in my first message! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Indeed, where are my manners!? Welcome!

When filling a converter I usually start to fill until I see the ink in the converter, then reverse to push the air through the feed, then fill again. I still get an air bubble, but usually a lot smaller.

I used to do that, too, but I still have better results when filling the converter directly :) And less mess!

• 3 weeks later...

The Loom/Ambition nib unit does unscrew - they are interchangeable. The nib shouldn't unscrew without your help (mine don't), but check to make sure in case yours is loose; if it is loose air can get in.

The converter can easily turn on the pen, as others have said it only pushes onto the nipple of the nib unit. If your is a bit loose it may turn easily, so try holding the barrel of the converter (rather than the section) when you dip the pen in the ink for filling. If it's still loose I have seen somewhere on the Forum where someone smeared some silicone grease round the base of the converter, but make sure none gets down onto the nipple!

The Loom is a great pen, and with the Ambition's nib unit it's great value. Mine works smoothly with any ink I give it!

Owen