Help With This Eversharp Ca(?) Desk Set

BamaPen

I've been gathering a small collection of very early Eversharp ballpoints, the CA and whatever the very next model that followed the CA, but prior to 1950. I spotted this desk pen version with the really modern stand and bought it. Now I'm wondering if anyone has any info on exactly what this is called, when it was made, etc. An advertisement showing it would be great!

John

fpn_1459196624__wp_20160328_11_21_13_pro

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BamaPen

• parkergeo

I know this response is almost a year late, but unanswered forum questions bug me...

This tapered, two-tone pen is identified elsewhere as a Fifth Avenue desk pen. At the link below, one of the pen highlighted is sitting in the same stand (with a chain) and the description notes: "the pen has double-check marks printed on the tapered barrel. The gold ring around the front section indicates a Fifth Avenue, not a Skyline."

http://www.penlibrary.com/asp/pens.asp?action=search&brand=eversharp&model=Fifth%20Avenue

"I know this response is almost a year late, but unanswered forum questions bug me..."

"...the pen has double-check marks printed on the tapered barrel. The gold ring around the front section indicates a Fifth Avenue, not a Skyline."

http://www.penlibrary.com/asp/pens.asp?action=search&brand=eversharp&model=Fifth%20Avenue

Thanks very much for this response. I've not learned anything else definitive in the intervening time.

The referenced site may very well be correct, but from what I am able to see, it appears that Skyline and Fifth Avenue ballpoints shared the front end components. On that very site there are some Skylines with the same gold ring as the Fifth Avenue (and some without it), so the ring would not seem to be a defining element. I have only one Skyline ballpoint, and it is two tones of green. Also, the section from this desk ballpoint is a perfect fit into both the Skyline and Fifth Avenue ballpoint barrels.

So, it appears to me that as Eversharp began to lose tons of money over the CA ballpoint, they used whatever parts were on hand to build both models of ballpoints. Thus the desk pen in question could easily be either - or not exactly either one.

That may be right - after the early Skyline days, the ads seem to just call them "CA pens" in many cases without a model designation. Since the point and cartridge were the same (although there were two designs over time), the sections may have also been interchangeable, especially on a desk pen where the cap wouldn't be an issue. If so, the same taper barrel may have worked with a variety of styles to convert to a desk pen. In fountain pens I think the Skylines had a necked barrel even in the desk pens, but in the decade before the Parker merger things may have changed.

I guess we just have to buy up as many as we can find to see what swaps back and forth! I'm waiting to receive what looks like the same style holder but with a different CA pen. Tapered, but not as long and slender as your model. Here's the picture from the online posting:

fpn_1489373048__eversharp.jpg

That's interesting...the pen definitely looks to be "fatter" than mine. I have seen a couple of these desk sets in person and although I was not alert to the possible difference in fatness at the time, I do not recall their having a fat pen. One was being offered for sale at the Atlanta Pen Show last year and the other is in the collection of a pen friend.

I have discussed the possible function of this style of desk set with the other owners and we have speculated, without any firm evidence, that it may have been a store display. The chain on the one on the penlibrary site referenced above would indicate such a function. An alternate theory is that Eversharp was trying to bring attention to the CA and that this design would certainly be eye-catching on a desk.

When you have your new acquisition in hand, please measure the length and width of your base. Comparing the pictures gives the impression that even your base is "fatter" but that may be a function of the camera.

Will do.

Mine was was listed for purchase as a "dealer display" which would explain why these stands don't seem to show up as desk pen sets in catalogs or ads.

Looking at the pen and stand after it arrived, it appears to have the same proportions as your picture - I think the seller's online photo lost something in translation and altered the perspective. Measuring from the bottom side of the base, it's 2 5/8 inches wide and 8 9/16 inches long. I was expecting the pen cradles to be fabricated from opaque maroon plastic, but it's actually a transparent ruby color under bright lighting.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I really like the look and heft of the business end of this pen, so now I'm considering looking for a capped CA so I can keep this one in original condition but work to modify the nosepiece of another to fit a gel refill for use when a fountain pen doesn't fit the bill.

I'm actually somewhat relieved that your CA desk set is not different than mine...and I do understand your desire to leave it intact since it is considerably less common (dare I say rare) than the capped CA Skyline and Fifth Avenue.

You may already know, but Richard Binder has an excellent tutorial on how to modify a CA nosepiece so that a Parker style refill can be used. Here's the link:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/repair/ca_mod.htm

Before I saw Richard's tutorial, I stumbled upon a completely reversible way to use a Pilot Birdie ballpoint refill in the CA nosepiece. Below is a link to my explanation, keeping in mind that the Pilot refill is not the equal of a good gel refill in Parker form:

https://cigarboxpenstorage.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/fitting-a-vintage-eversharp-ballpoint-with-a-modern-refill/

Let me know if I can help...

Just to close out the information (should it be of future interest to anyone), I obtained another of these desk stands, and this one came with a red/white Eversharp box and an inventory ID tag: Eversharp CA Desk Set HO-8R $5.95

That is very interesting information! I'll update my inventory with that part number and original price. And, the fact that the tag does not say anything about "dealer" or "display" or such and has a retail price on it would seem to point toward this being intended as a consumer item.

Thanks!