Jinhao Help Needed

Anthony95

Okay fountain Penner's, the situation I have is this. I have a jinhao x750, and the nib on it is utterly sublime, comparable to the quality of the steel nib on my recent m205 purchase. My issue however, the x750 is to large for my hands. Those of you who have used it will know that after the grip section, the middle of the pen bulges, and my small hands simply cant deal with it. My question therefore is this. Does anyone know of a jinhao, or other cheap pen (circa 10 UK pounds incl delivery) onto which I could, without modification, transplant this nib. (It's a jinhao no.6, similar in size to a goulet nib I believe) It should be fairly slim, and of a light-medium weight :) (I.e more than 15g less than 30g).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anthony95

• LizB

• Erik Dalton

• edebill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the world of fountain pens, where the quest for the perfect nib in the perfect body can last forever!

That's a tough request. Number 6 nibs generally go with a larger pen. You're right that it's the same as a Goulet nib - I generally do the reverse and put a Goulet nib in a Jinhao body in order to get a bigger pen with a finer point.

A Noodler's Ahab will take that nib beautifully, but might be too large or expensive. The Konrad costs even more, but is a bit smaller and might be more your size. I'm not sure how readily available they are outside the US.

I'd suggest working through the various pens on http://fountainpenrevolution.com/ They sell #6/#35 nibs and will note which pens on their site accept them.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, certainly not at that price. The main problem, I think, is that the Jinhao nib of an x750 is a #6 nib, fits a 6mm feed - which is a BIG nib and feed, so you'll find them generally in big pens.

I thought maybe a lightweight indian pen (maybe an ebonite eyedropper) would take a 6 nib, but most of them take #5 or thereabouts. And they are still pretty wide pens. The lightest pen I can think of would probably be a Noodlers Ahab, but that is still a really wide pen, and also over £10. Sorry not to be able to help much. I think you may need to just keep practicing with the Jinhao and see if you can get used to it. They are heavy pens though.

Alas the issue of having small hands, seems manufacturers these days seem to think bigger is always better. Regarding the noodlers pens I have looked into those, whilst they are available and fairly cheap, getting hands on with them is very difficult given that there is only one online retailer, but at the price I might give the Ahab a go anyway. Generally I don't mind a regular size pen, it's the concave body of the x750 that causes me problems.

Edited by Anthony95

i second

mints suggestion -- Fprev has a number of pens that take a #6 nib and are generally a lot smaller than the Jinhao

The Baoer 388 is a smaller pen that's cheap. It won't take #6 nibs, but it's the closest thing I know of to a smaller version of a Jinhao X750.

Noodlers Konrad takes a no.6

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

What about the Jinhao 250 or 450? Ar ethose any slimmer?

I am quite happy with a Knox pen, but that is a #5 nib

Does anyone know of a jinhao, or other cheap pen (circa 10 UK pounds incl delivery) onto which I could, without modification, transplant this nib. (It's a jinhao no.6, similar in size to a goulet nib I believe) It should be fairly slim, and of a light-medium weight :) (I.e more than 15g less than 30g).

I wish I did - I hauled out a few of what I hoped were possibles and checked them out, but not dice - they were all smaller. So let me turn the question in a different direction - have you tried any other Jinhao pens?

I have a new Jinhao 886 with a jazzy Spiderman look that writes very nicely, very smoothly, right out of the bubble wrap - all I did was flush the pen first with water with a drop of dishwashing liquid in it. The pen is available in less juvenile colorways, I just happen to like spiders, and Spiderman, and red. While it is a nice red lacquer, the metal of this pen is very thin. It is really an overlay on a plastic body, so it is light. The body is slimmer than the 750, as well as being lighter, and the cap screws on, if you care about that sort of thing. (Well, it screws on whether you care about that sort of thing or not, but if you don't care it does not matter, it will screw on anyway, no way to stop it really, it's just doing what screw on caps do but I digress...)

The 250 looks like it takes a number five, and is a little narrower than the 750, but is a grown-up looking pen, important, I know, in some situations. It has a nib shaped sort of like a pumpkin seed rather than a traditional nib shape.

On the other hand, there is the 599A, the Lamy Safari look-alike - this is the plastic one, and it has a traditional nib, not a flat one. I just inked mine up and it is writing well - nothing luxurious, so I'd say the nib on the 886 is a little sweeter, except that they seem to look like the same nib, so it may just be individual variation there.

Which brings us back to your dilemma - if this Jinhao nib in your 750 is exceptionally nicer than other Jinhao nibs you've run into, everyone else is probably right in suggesting an Indian Fountain Pen to hold it, as other Jinhaos which can are also heavy largish pens. If you are willing to take a chance on other Jinhao nibs, however, there are certainly many of their pens available at extremely affordable prices which are smaller, take a number five nib and might suit you.

Edited by scrivelry

What about the Jinhao 250 or 450? Ar ethose any slimmer?

I am quite happy with a Knox pen, but that is a #5 nib

No - the Jinhao 250 and 450 are smaller nibs.

I also have the 750 and have smaller hands. I just don't post the pen and that seems to help.

Neither the 250 or 450 will really help you very much. They are also fairly heavy.

I would suggest looking into a Picasso, which generally are slimmer and lighter. But they are reliable and have very smooth nibs.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Which brings us back to your dilemma - if this Jinhao nib in your 750 is exceptionally nicer than other Jinhao nibs you've run into, everyone else is probably right in suggesting an Indian Fountain Pen to hold it, as other Jinhaos which can are also heavy largish pens. If you are willing to take a chance on other Jinhao nibs, however, there are certainly many of their pens available at extremely affordable prices which are smaller, take a number five nib and might suit you.

That somewhat hits the nail on the head. When I first got into fountain pens I bought a number of jinhaos/baoers for around 2 pounds a pop to experiment, and whilst the 388 was the perfect size, I was quite happy with the 500 as well, but all nibs were rather disappointing, and take #5s unfortunately. I could just give this x750 away and forget all about it, but for a jinhao that nib is probably a 1 in 1000 affair. Will deffinetly check out FPR looks like they have a few that are nice, and don't mind spending a but more if the pen looks good enough :)/ is a piston filler.

Edited by Anthony95

Hi Anthony95 - in case you were interested, I was playing around with my pens today, and fitted a JInhao #6 nib (from an x750) in to an Indian eyedropper pen - an Airmail 69, which I got for £11 off eBay. The Jinhao nib is longer than the original Airmail nib, but you can set the Jinhao nib deep enough so the cap doesn't touch the nib. The Airmail pen is both lighter and narrower than the JInhao pen. I'll do pics if you want.

I could just give this x750 away and forget all about it...

Never, every get rid of an excellent nib.

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

It looks like xFountainPens offers both a No. 5 and a No. 6 nib to fit their Nemosine Singularity. But you might spend some time in this thread, which discusses possible nib substitutions.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/216388-list-of-possible-nib-substitutions/

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The hard to get Jinhao Century Mk1 uses a #6 nib. That's the one with a single cap ring and a black cap lip. However, it's usually more than £10.

The Jinhao 5000 also has the same feed and cost problem. A Jinhao 1200 uses a #6 nib. Probably too big too.

A Kaigelu 316 uses the same nib size for about £12.

Sorry but I cannot help with one in your budget.

Regards,

Richard.

This is probably not practical but you might want to consider posting in the pen makers forum, perhaps it would be possible to get a new barrel that fits your budget. I suspect that normally the price of a kit plus the piece for the barrel would exceed your budget but I think you really just need the barrel and maybe a threaded piece that could be used with your section and cap.

I don't have an x750 but I do have a 159. Trying the 159 section on barrels from other pens, it would not thread into a Platinum preppy barrel but pressing and turning it would stay on the barrel. Clearly not a long term solution but maybe some other barrel would have the same threads and fit.

Thanks for all the suggestions :). I have decided for the time being that the offending x750 will go back in my 48 pouch until I can make a decision lol. Very torn on the one hand a great nib, but may keep it in reserve. Who knows when another #6 nib on a pen might break, and then I can save pen and nib :)