The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Why Do You Collect Pens?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Quadratus

Quadratus

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:01

I think I am joining this "thread" a little late but never mind.

I don't collect fountain pens- over the years, I simply have acquired a large amount of them (currently 22 Pelikans, 7 Viscontis, 8 Deltas, 6 Auroras, 3 Sailors, 2 Platinums and 10 Watermans, and there are others in other boxes...)  They were each bought for love of their design and writing properties.  And as for inks, I have probably got enough to last me for the rest of my life-  and here I do confess to hoarding limited editions that disappear so maddeningly after a short while on the market- so I (currently) have 7 bottles of Edelstein Amethyst, 4 Amber, 10 Smoky Quartz and all but 2 of the entire Iroshizuku range, with many spares of my favourite colours (the 2 missing I simply didn't like), as well as over 20 Herbins, a dozen Sailor inks, Kobe inks and Akkernanns.  So, on any view, I am truly hooked to FPs and the whole business of writing with them.

Why?  Well, I agree with Graham Greene “My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain.  My hand on a pen does.  A fountain pen, of course.  Ball-pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”  

Collecting is the wrong word.  

What we do when buying pens, is to bring into our lives things of beauty which enhance our existence.  Pleasure is one of the purposes of living, and objects which improve our lives and our increase our happiness are things which we should not feel bad about acquiring- providing we can afford them and that obtaining them does not deprive our loved ones.

And every day, I chose some pens to take to work or for general writing (I do a lot of writing for my work and for my own pleasure) and every day my daily experience of life is enhanced by the pens I have with me.  That sensation makes the money and effort that have gone into acquiring my collection entirely worthwhile!

So I will definitely go on buying new FPs and acquire more interesting inks!

Sponsored Content

#62 Nixjuh1988

Nixjuh1988

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 18:27

I'm new to collecting fountain pens too! My uncle is a enthusiastic collector and he passed the bug on to me. I like it because it's a niche that not many people know about. I alway like that kind of interests because it's very particular and you can dive deep into the knowledge. And there is a lot of knowledge out here! 

I also like that you have a chance to get a good deal if you know more than others, if you know what to look for you can buy a fountain pen for cheap on say, a flea market and have a nice addition to your collection for a fair price. 

#63 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 19:20

I don't actually collect pens.

I'm a minimalist and a perfectionist, so now after having tried all the nib groups(Jowo, Bock, Pilot, MB, Pelikan, etc), I'm constantly aiming to purge my collection to become 'less is more', eliminating(selling) ones which are not up to scratch or which don't interest me to write with. I may buy(only Japanese and some Chinese now) occasionally if I think it adds a new dimension to my dwindling-but-just-that-little-bit-more-perfect collection, but it's always with a view to purging one or more.

Edited by Bluey, 30 July 2017 - 20:38.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#64 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2017 - 19:48

I collect pens because collecting wives and girlfriends is really expensive, and collecting real polar bears is risky, at best.

Actually, I am fairly new to collecting - I only have 14 and they are slightly outnumbered by ink bottles.  I just like them; they have stories and they can help tell stories (or in my case, draw stories).

dear snowbear

some pens can be more expensive than both a wife and a gf put together

but generally speaking you are right

nor do they ask why we had not looked at them appreciatively for so many weeks past

etc

seriously though, I loved pens since childhood, dont know why, 

i buy them  for the beauty and the writing pleasure

collectors have to have a lot of money to buy all the versions etc of a collectible pen

i have limited funds and buy what i like

mostly black cigar shaped with gold trims

eg Montblanc Meisterstucks, Sailors 1911 series, Pilots 92 and 942, and the likes

notable exceptions are Cross Townsends, Shaeffer Targas, Waterman Experts, Parker Duofolds, Parker 51s,

generally medium to large pens for my big hands

Edited by jslallar, 05 October 2017 - 20:58.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#65 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 17:10

Lately, however, fountain pens follow me home, and I let them stay.  I have a kind heart.  

(Debate continues as to what "kind" !)  :rolleyes:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#66 Moruk

Moruk

Moruk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 19:32

It’s the only known treatment for my illness.

#67 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 19:45

I believe I've said this before or elsewhere.  For me, vintage fountain pens, which I 'collect', are a tangible attachment to history and the people who lived it. 

For me, history is more than what happened when and where, and to whom.  It is the story of 'our family' -- the family of man, and that makes it personal.

#68 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 17:42

Too windy to carry bricks.  Hoarding. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#69 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 22:19

It’s the only known treatment for my illness.

very well put

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

Sponsored Content

|