The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Why Do You Collect Pens?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:01

This thread is on a similar subject, and the short films are thoughtfully produced.

http://www.fountainp...ain-pens/page-1

Bobje reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network:

CHINA Hua Hong Blue Belter ITALY FILCAO Atlantica | FILCAO Roxi INDIA ASA Nauka in Dartmoor | ASA Nauka in Ebonite | ASA Azaadi in Opal | ASA Bheeshma in Graphite | Ranga Model 8

UK Italix Churchman's Prescriptor USA Bexley Prometheus 

INK Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue

NIB EXPERIMENTS Flex

Sponsored Content

#22 Prithwijit

Prithwijit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:50

Hi everyone,

I am still only a few years into fountain pens and by no means do I consider myself a collector. Lately though I've been bitten by a bug I guess. I'm 46 and over the past 3 years lost my grandmother, mom and Aunt. While my health is good I have still begun looking at things like diet and annual preventative medical procedures. I recently made finance/perm life and retirement arrangements and have realized that I am mid-point in life and soon there will be more years behind me than in front. Maybe this has caused me to look a little differently at my pen collection and consider what they might be worth years down the road as my sons are delivering my eulogy (hopefully many decades down the road.) They will take ownership of this collection. Sorry to dip into a little morbidity there, let me bring this back to point.

A few questions for you all, hopefully this will spark a nice conversation. First, why do you collect pens? How do you focus your collection and what is the goal/purpose? For me, I didn't really "collect" as much as I found neat looking pens that wrote well. After time I amassed several thousand dollars worth of (mostly Cross) fountain pens.

I have been bitten by the Townsend bug, and have been consulting Steve Long from the forum here for his expert advice on how to tell them apart. So far I have a neophyte collection of....5. One of them is a Darth Vader fine nib, 1343 of 1977. I had it ground to an italic cursive though, and I wonder if I have decreased the future value? I inked and used it once and now it's back in the box. Should I replace the nib with a standard fine nib for the future? I have other Townsends I can use that nib on for sure. 2 of the 5 I have are "regular" Medalists.

My collection is now sort of focusing itself I guess, Townsends and all "Year of" collectibles. So far I have the 2012 Dragon, 2014 Horse both in red. And the 2013 year of the snake in blue. I obviously have a mental problem, but maybe some others here share that particular problem.

Welcome any thoughts. 

What a terrific question! This piece on the psychology of collecting by Jose Dalisay Jr., or penmanila here on FPN, is a thoughtful read on the subject.

Hi,

Thank you Bob for bringing my attention to this wonderful thread. I loved reading the article whose link you shared.  

On a personal basis, I am not sure if I am a collector, a hoarder or just a fool. I have a very modest collection whose accumulation is prompted by my desire to experience newer and interesting aspects of fountain pen evolution. For instance, I have a Pilot VP because I wanted to experience a fountain pen with the convenience of a typical ball point pen. My Pilot CH912 FA exists because I wanted to experience a modern flex nib. I can go on, but I guess you can get the drift.

Another reason which fuels my PBA (Pen Buying Addiction) is what I call OneOfABranditis. This is a phenomenon that creates a burning desire to possess one pen of every possible renowned brand out there and that too preferably the flagships or close therein. I could be happy with a Parker Beta, but I find myself owning a Sonnet and a hack Duofold in addition to the Beta :(  

I also get a creative kick out of visualizing, designing and commissioning pens based on my own ideas and material & nib choices. This also contributes to my hoard. 

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

#23 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:11

Just because... they make me happy.

#24 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 22:08

I would like to add the Cross Spire to my collection but I'm curious if it will take a converter. Does any one know

#25 snowbear

snowbear

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 00:04

I would like to add the Cross Spire to my collection but I'm curious if it will take a converter. Does any one know

It doesn't look like it; it uses the slim cart. and I don't see a converter listed for it at the Cross website.

#26 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 00:27

To use. I enjoy the variety.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#27 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• 2,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:02

It doesn't look like it; it uses the slim cart. and I don't see a converter listed for it at the Cross website.

Thanx snow bear, I was afraid of that

#28 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 20:47

Because they are there.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#29 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 21:56

Because they are there.

:)

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#30 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• 2,148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 22:37

I collect pens because it's fun

#31 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 10,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 23:52

I don't think any of us would do it if it weren't fun.  I honestly have no idea why they fascinate me, but they have since I was a three year old and drank a quart sized bottle of Sheaffer blue black ink.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#32 CeeElle

CeeElle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:11

They encourage me to be more creative, and I am fascinated by the history associated with some models. Perhaps an extension of character too.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

#33 utopic

utopic

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 16:03

I collect pens because collecting wives and girlfriends is really expensive, and collecting real polar bears is risky, at best.

:lticaptd: you, sir, made me spill tea on my keyboard

#34 the_gasman

the_gasman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 17:38

I don't collect; I accumulate.

David.

#35 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:03

After my acquisition of my 30th or so fountain pen I came to the conclusion I must like them a lot.

#36 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,811 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 21:03

I prefer to write with fountain pens, and so when I write I use a fountain pen.  Once in a while I get an urge to buy another, which I usually fight until the pen wins.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

fpn_1509066385__untitled-1.jpg

#37 wrennflint

wrennflint

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 15:33

Relatively speaking, we have little time on this earth to enjoy the things that please us. I lost my baby brother two months ago today, and it has crystallized what's really important to me. 

I'm 40, so I know I've probably lived at least half my life. I don't want to waste it on stuff that I hate (job notwithstanding, I have to be here :P ), or deny myself the things I enjoy, as long as I'm not hurting myself or others. Just leave enough in the bank for groceries and utilities. 

And, I really can't help it. My parents are both pack rats. Fabric, woodworking equipment, spare parts, old cars. Those "just in case" things that their grandparents who lived through the depression taught them to keep.  Mom says she feels sorry for us that we have to deal with all of that when they pass.  :D

I think humans' love of collecting things stems from our hunter-gatherer roots. We still want to gather and collect things, and our "permanent" places of habitation allow us to keep a far greater store of stuff. If we were still  wanderers, our collections would be smaller and more carefully selected for portability, usability, and durability.

In the end, none of it really matters. It will all wind up in an archaeological dig in a few thousand years anyway, and people will be discussing the motives of the person who owned such a collection of "obsolete" pens in the technology age.   :lol:

#38 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 20:48

In the end, none of it really matters. It will all wind up in an archaeological dig in a few thousand years anyway, and people will be discussing the motives of the person who owned such a collection of "obsolete" pens in the technology age.   :lol:

That would be interesting to see -- especially given that the age of a site is measured in part by what artifacts are found at each layer.  The fact that (for instance) I have a 1937 Parker Vacumatic and a MacBook Air laptop, a bunch of CDs and some 45 RPM records that I've had since the 1960s, a 21st century made spinning wheel and a 13th century spindle whorl....  And three or four pairs of clip on sunglasses (I keep misplacing them and buying another pair -- none of which really fit my glasses correctly -- and then finding the ones that fit the best).

Man, what I would give to be a fly on the wall during that argument between eminent future archaeologists....  B) 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#39 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 22:20

I love the sensation of writing with a fountain pen.  In order to continually have that sense of satisfaction, I find myself waiting for a new pen to arrive in the mail!  Help!  Help!

#40 Valkyrii

Valkyrii

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:52

I'm kinda late to this party, but I collect pens because I write in everything I do. I write because I love to express my ideas and thoughts and creativity. I write because there is a certain connection or bond between the paper, the pen and the ink that I cannot convey via pecking on a keyboard. I'm currently writing a book (well series of books.) My first draft is always by hand before I transpose into Scrivener.

Sponsored Content

|