The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Shoot-Out : Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine Vs Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

edelstein aquamarine iroshizuku ku-jaku

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 AFewGoodPens

AFewGoodPens

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:15

Good review.  I love the way bottled ink looks, but I'm a messy writer so I won't usually crack a bottle open on my own.

I'm surprised that the Edelstein ink has better water resistance.  I once spilled Kujaku on my fingers, and it took more than a week of soaking and scrubbing to get the last trace off of my thumb!

I would expect the same thing!  I really don't like inky fingers, and I once had an iroshizuku ink under my fingernail for four days after trying a friend's newly filled pen..

Sponsored Content

#22 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:07

Is it blue... is it green ? To really find out, I did a quick chromatography of both inks:

• pelikan edelstein aquamarine : has a grey-greenish base with very water-soluble blue components
  • pilot iroshizuku ku-jaku : has a solid blue base with very water soluble green components

Although they have very different chemical signatures, the net effect is about the same. But still - ku-jaku looks a bit more blue-ish to me.

aquamarine%20vs%20ku-jaku%20-%20chromato

#23 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 14:04

Thank you for a most useful shootout and comparison! Much appreciated as ku-jaku is an old favourite ... and I was seriously considering the Edelstein which is available in standard long carts.

Having Edelstein and Iroshizuku, think the properties of the inks you describe are quite inherent in their style. Iroshizuku has always tended to being more saturated, smoother (perhaps more surfactant) ink with beautiful shading.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#24 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:53

Thank you for the great comparison! I love the colors, but I agree with you. I like Ku-Jaku more.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#25 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:58

Thank-you for taking the time to create the comparisons and the review..

Your sense of humor is wonderful...

#26 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2016 - 19:28

FAB comparison. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#27 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2016 - 15:56

What a great shootout / review. Thorough yet creative and interesting to read. Thank you.

#28 mauckcg

mauckcg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2016 - 21:59

I really really like them both.  Since Aquamarine came out I have that and Ku-Jaku inked up in pens and they are glorious.

#29 Tinjapan

Tinjapan

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:36

Nicely done.

#30 clazbill

clazbill

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2016 - 19:11

Way back when I made my first order of bottled ink, having no experience, Ku-Jaku was one of my selections.  It has never fallen from it's preferred status and I'm glad to see it ranking well with most everyone else as well.  A rare occasion of getting it right from the start.

#31 HalloweenHJB

HalloweenHJB

More color!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2017 - 21:45

Thank you for the great comparison! I love the colors, but I agree with you. I like Ku-Jaku more.

Agreed.  Ku-jaku is my choice of the two.  There's a certain richness to the Ku-jaku, while the Aquamarine —at least with the bottle I have— is murky but not intense.  If that makes any sense...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edelstein, aquamarine, iroshizuku, ku-jaku

Sponsored Content

|