Ranga Model 8

Maccabeus

First off, I apologize for my lousy photographic "skills." This pen is gorgeous, sturdy, and well-made. Pictures--especially mine--cannot possibly do it justice. At $40, I really feel like I stole this pen.

I ordered a shiny, black Model 8 (eyedropper) from Ranga Pens through eBay late in January. The delivery terms were 2-4 weeks. When it didn't show up by March 2, I figured it had gotten lost and contacted Mr. Kandan, who filed an inquiry with India Post and asked for some more time. He sent me a link to the inquiry, and as of today nobody in that office has yet responded (how's that for government inefficiency!) On March 10, he said that he would have a replacement made and send it to me. That one shipped out a week ago. The original one I had ordered finally arrived on Good Friday (8 weeks later!).

I say this to encourage anyone who might buy from him to be patient. Believe me, it will be well worth the wait.

I feel bad for asking him to send a replacement, but I've already let him know that I'll send payment when it arrives (so I don't feel too bad. After all, I'll have TWO of his pens! http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png ) Throughout the entire process, he was great at getting back with me and was very professional.

Yes, it arrived sewn in cloth. Impressive. The guys at the Post Office thought it was pretty cool, too. We don't get a lot of packages from India in Wanamaker...

And was in a beautiful brown and creme box. Very classy! The box was originally wrapped in newspaper, but I didn't think to snap a pic until after I had read about Himanshu Jani's economic situation.

When I opened the box, both the pen I had ordered and the Fellowship ED he included as a gift were in plastic. Yes, he even included a spare feed and #5 nib!

Here it is, lying next to a Noodler's Konrad for size comparison.

This Konrad has the distinction of being the absolute ugliest pen I've ever laid eyes on, but the absolutely most comfortable pen I've ever written with. Because 135mm x 13mm is comfortable for me, I asked Mr. Pandurangan to make my Model 8 the same width and length. I call this close enough!

I swapped out the Wality nib with a #6 F Knox, and she writes like a dream. My go-to inks are ESSRI and Chesterfield Archival Vault, and they both seem work well in this pen.

In short, I cannot give a high enough recommendation for Ranga Pens. My only regret is that it took me this long to discover them. The skill that goes into making these pens by hand is inconceivable. This isn't just a pen. This is a craftsman's love and skill being poured into a piece of functional art.

Appearance/Design: 8/10

I would have liked a metal band around the opening in the cap, but as thick as the ebonite is, I seriously doubt I'll be in danger of cracking the cap. I also would have liked the ends to be a little less pointy, but I didn't think to ask Mr. Pandurangan to blunt them so it isn't his fault.

Construction/quality: 9/10

As I said, this pen is sturdy. It feels substantial, but not heavy, if that makes any sense. I would have no qualms about using it as a kubotan if I had to. The loss of 1 point is for the tiny gap between cap and finial where the clip attaches. The section is smooth, all threading is smooth, and when the section screws into the body there is no sign that it was ever two separate pieces. Considering that Mr. Pandurangan cuts the threads by eyeballing them, I am more impressed than I can express. The ebonite is free from pits, dings, or discolorations. All edges are baby-skin smooth, and it was polished to a beautiful, high gloss.

Weight/Dimensions: 9/10

The next time I order one of these (and there will be a next one!), I'm going to ask for a smaller cap. Length of the body is right at 110mm (what I asked for), but the length capped is 150mm. I think 140 or even 145mm would fit better in a shirt pocket. I don't have a scale, and the listing didn't offer a weight, but it is heavier than a Noodler's Konrad and lighter than a Nemosine Fission. Sorry I can't give you something more exact.

Nib/Performance: 8/10

Indian nibs are notoriously poor, so I swapped it out with a F #6 Knox that I ordered in anticipation. His inclusion of a spare feed and nib was really nice. On a couple occasions, I've had to give her a little shake to restore ink flow. I wonder if this is residual dust from not giving a proper, thorough rinse before filling, or because I failed to properly set the nib & feed.

Fill System/Maintenance: 10/10

Eyedropper fill system. God's gift to the fountain pen world.

Cost/Value: 10/10

The exchange rate between Indian rupees and US dollars is almost 7:1, so technically this is the most expensive pen I own at nearly 2,700 rupees. Seriously though, like I said earlier, at $40 I almost feel like I stole it. I paid $40 for my Noodler's ebonite pens, and they were mass-produced. $40 for a handmade pen is phenomenal.

Conclusion/Final Score: 5.4/6

When I consider that a man who has been making these by hand for as long as I've been alive made this for me, I am humbled. This is a handcrafted pen that will no doubt go someday to one of my progeny. Again, this is more than a pen. It is a functional piece of art that represents a lifetime's worth of love, skill, and master craftsmanship.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maccabeus

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• fountainpagan

First off, I apologize for my lousy photographic "skills." This pen is gorgeous, sturdy, and well-made. Pictures--especially mine--cannot possibly do it justice. At $40, I really feel like I stole this pen.

I ordered a shiny, black Model 8 (eyedropper) from Ranga Pens through eBay late in January. The delivery terms were 2-4 weeks. When it didn't show up by March 2, I figured it had gotten lost and contacted Mr. Kandan, who filed an inquiry with India Post and asked for some more time. He sent me a link to the inquiry, and as of today nobody in that office has yet responded (how's that for government inefficiency!) On March 10, he said that he would have a replacement made and send it to me. That one shipped out a week ago. The original one I had ordered finally arrived on Good Friday (8 weeks later!).

I say this to encourage anyone who might buy from him to be patient. Believe me, it will be well worth the wait.

I feel bad for asking him to send a replacement, but I've already let him know that I'll send payment when it arrives (so I don't feel too bad. After all, I'll have TWO of his pens! http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.png ) Throughout the entire process, he was great at getting back with me and was very professional.

Yes, it arrived sewn in cloth. Impressive. The guys at the Post Office thought it was pretty cool, too. We don't get a lot of packages from India in Wanamaker...

attachicon.gif20160324_1.jpg

And was in a beautiful brown and creme box. Very classy! The box was originally wrapped in newspaper, but I didn't think to snap a pic until after I had read about Himanshu Jani's economic situation.

attachicon.gif20160324_2.jpg

When I opened the box, both the pen I had ordered and the Fellowship ED he included as a gift were in plastic. Yes, he even included a spare feed and #5 nib!

attachicon.gif20160324_3.jpg

Here it is, lying next to a Noodler's Konrad for size comparison.

attachicon.gif20160324_4.jpg

This Konrad has the distinction of being the absolute ugliest pen I've ever laid eyes on, but the absolutely most comfortable pen I've ever written with. Because 135mm x 13mm is comfortable for me, I asked Mr. Pandurangan to make my Model 8 the same width and length. I call this close enough!

attachicon.gif20160324_5.jpg

I swapped out the Wality nib with a #6 F Knox, and she writes like a dream. My go-to inks are ESSRI and Chesterfield Archival Vault, and they both seem work well in this pen.

In short, I cannot give a high enough recommendation for Ranga Pens. My only regret is that it took me this long to discover them. The skill that goes into making these pens by hand is inconceivable. This isn't just a pen. This is a craftsman's love and skill being poured into a piece of functional art.

Appearance/Design: 8/10

I would have liked a metal band around the opening in the cap, but as thick as the ebonite is, I seriously doubt I'll be in danger of cracking the cap. I also would have liked the ends to be a little less pointy, but I didn't think to ask Mr. Pandurangan to blunt them so it isn't his fault.

Construction/quality: 9/10

As I said, this pen is sturdy. It feels substantial, but not heavy, if that makes any sense. I would have no qualms about using it as a kubotan if I had to. The loss of 1 point is for the tiny gap between cap and finial where the clip attaches. The section is smooth, all threading is smooth, and when the section screws into the body there is no sign that it was ever two separate pieces. Considering that Mr. Pandurangan cuts the threads by eyeballing them, I am more impressed than I can express. The ebonite is free from pits, dings, or discolorations. All edges are baby-skin smooth, and it was polished to a beautiful, high gloss.

Weight/Dimensions: 9/10

The next time I order one of these (and there will be a next one!), I'm going to ask for a smaller cap. Length of the body is right at 110mm (what I asked for), but the length capped is 150mm. I think 140 or even 145mm would fit better in a shirt pocket. I don't have a scale, and the listing didn't offer a weight, but it is heavier than a Noodler's Konrad and lighter than a Nemosine Fission. Sorry I can't give you something more exact.

Nib/Performance: 8/10

Indian nibs are notoriously poor, so I swapped it out with a F #6 Knox that I ordered in anticipation. His inclusion of a spare feed and nib was really nice. On a couple occasions, I've had to give her a little shake to restore ink flow. I wonder if this is residual dust from not giving a proper, thorough rinse before filling, or because I failed to properly set the nib & feed.

Fill System/Maintenance: 10/10

Eyedropper fill system. God's gift to the fountain pen world.

Cost/Value: 10/10

The exchange rate between Indian rupees and US dollars is almost 7:1, so technically this is the most expensive pen I own at nearly 2,700 rupees. Seriously though, like I said earlier, at $40 I almost feel like I stole it. I paid $40 for my Noodler's ebonite pens, and they were mass-produced. $40 for a handmade pen is phenomenal.

Conclusion/Final Score: 5.4/6

When I consider that a man who has been making these by hand for as long as I've been alive made this for me, I am humbled. This is a handcrafted pen that will no doubt go someday to one of my progeny. Again, this is more than a pen. It is a functional piece of art that represents a lifetime's worth of love, skill, and master craftsmanship.

Dear Mr.Maccabeus Sir,

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW. BIG THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT WORDS ON OUR PENS. WE ARE BLESSED TO DEAL WITH YOU.

Take care.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thanks for the review. I have been curious about model 8. I have model 3 and 4 and they get a lot of use.

My pleasure. I hope you found it helpful. I abhor any sizable step-down between body and section, and recently fell in love with eyedroppers after someone donated a couple to my classroom. The model 8 was just the right thing to fit all of my fountain pen preferences--especially in plain, shiny black!

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I agree. Once you get a good feed with many fins in these pens they can be used to the last drop of ink. Cleanup is easier than any other filling system in my opinion. The Indian ebonite pens seem to run on the large size which I like.

Thank you for the review..

If you order next pen.. My recommendation for you try ambitious nibs which are made in India and and unlike other Indian nibs these are very smooth...

Also next time order a premium ebonite from Ranga..

We just finished one group buy.. Probably there will be another group buy soon..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Thank you for the review..

If you order next pen.. My recommendation for you try ambitious nibs which are made in India and and unlike other Indian nibs these are very smooth...

Also next time order a premium ebonite from Ranga..

We just finished one group buy.. Probably there will be another group buy soon..

Thanks for the tip about Ambitious nibs. As far as I know, this one is made from premium ebonite. It is gorgeous, smooth, and comfortable to write with.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I like my Indian eyedropper and it has become my daily writer. I learned the simple traditional ebonite feed with its oversized ink channel deals noticeably better with ESSRI iron gall ink than the narrow ink channels found in modern plastic feeds. Modern heavily finned plastic feeds also have advantages as they deal better with pressure differences caused by low ink capacities and low ambient temperatures. Keeping a traditional Indian pen well filled will avoid pressure differences related problems like burping ink drops.

I like my Indian eyedropper and it has become my daily writer. I learned the simple traditional ebonite feed with its oversized ink channel deals noticeably better with ESSRI iron gall ink than the narrow ink channels found in modern plastic feeds. Modern heavily finned plastic feeds also have advantages as they deal better with pressure differences caused by low ink capacities and low ambient temperatures. Keeping a traditional Indian pen well filled will avoid pressure differences related problems like burping ink drops.

ESSRI and Chesterfield Archival Vault are my go-to inks. As an English Literature teacher, I write a lot of notes in the margins of the pulpy, mass-market paperback editions of the books we read for class. Iron Gall inks have been the only ones to not feather or bleed through that or the pages of my Bible during note taking.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

UPDATE:

The second, "replacement" pen sent by Mr. Kandan when I thought the first had been lost in transit arrived yesterday (10 days--a better delivery timeline). I would attach a picture, but it is virtually identical to the first one, except the cap screws down a quarter-inch further. That makes it even more perfect, as it fits better in my shirt pocket! I am tickled to pieces to now have two of these phenomenal, handcrafted eyedropper pens, and have been showing it off to anyone who cares (and some who probably don't).

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

UPDATE:

The second, "replacement" pen sent by Mr. Kandan when I thought the first had been lost in transit arrived yesterday (10 days--a better delivery timeline). I would attach a picture, but it is virtually identical to the first one, except the cap screws down a quarter-inch further. That makes it even more perfect, as it fits better in my shirt pocket! I am tickled to pieces to now have two of these phenomenal, handcrafted eyedropper pens, and have been showing it off to anyone who cares (and some who probably don't).

Waiting for group photo.. Show us.. Wwe care

vaibhav mehandiratta

Congratulations on your two new pens!

Let me agree with Mr. Mehandiratta about the Ambitious nibs Ranga uses as their standard on eyedropper pens. I have several of them now, and I find them as good as any European nibs I've used--and better than some i could mention. Further, Mr. Kandan's ebonite feeds match these nibs beautifully, and allow the ED pens to write literally to the last stroke without blobs of ink escaping. Your experience may be different, but I've had nothing but excellent luck with these nibs and feeds.

ron

Rwilsonedn I don't think Ranga uses Ambitious nibs as their standard nibs on eyedroppers. I believe they use Wality nibs - or I was unlucky with my eyedropper.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Congratulations on your two new pens!

Let me agree with Mr. Mehandiratta about the Ambitious nibs Ranga uses as their standard on eyedropper pens. I have several of them now, and I find them as good as any European nibs I've used--and better than some i could mention. Further, Mr. Kandan's ebonite feeds match these nibs beautifully, and allow the ED pens to write literally to the last stroke without blobs of ink escaping. Your experience may be different, but I've had nothing but excellent luck with these nibs and feeds.

ron

Rwilsonedn I don't think Ranga uses Ambitious nibs as their standard nibs on eyedroppers. I believe they use Wality nibs - or I was unlucky with my eyedropper.

The nibs on the pens, as well as the extras, are all Wality. While I will keep my eyes open for Ambitious nibs, I happened to have a couple F#6 Knox nibs lying about, and I know they work well (and the feeds can easily be heat-set to them).

Edited by Maccabeus

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

IIRC you could request the Ambitious nib with one of the group buys - but yes, other nr 6 nibs like Jinhao, Nemosine and the like also work. In fact one of my Rangas sports a nr 6 Ambitious now, one has a Knox 1.1 stub, and one has a Jinhao. I find the pens look much better with the larger nib, too.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Ambitious nibs are now offered as a upgrade by 3 USD in group buy... Stock nib is wality as far as I know..

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thank you, Mehandiratta, for that information. Good to know.

Yes I knew Wality are the standard nibs used by Ranga, that is why I was astonished by rwilsonedn's saying Ambitious were the standard.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

• 3 months later...

Hello, sorry to necro this thread, but may I know if I can fit in #6 JoWo nibs if I opt for the eyedropper model? I was thinking of putting in a Goulet 1.1mm stub nib but I'm not sure if I should order a Model 8 with screwed in JoWo unit. Would a normal eyedropper friction fit section work?

Hello, sorry to necro this thread, but may I know if I can fit in #6 JoWo nibs if I opt for the eyedropper model? I was thinking of putting in a Goulet 1.1mm stub nib but I'm not sure if I should order a Model 8 with screwed in JoWo unit. Would a normal eyedropper friction fit section work?

Yes you can easily swap the nibs on the eyedropper and a #6 will work well. Don't forget to heat set the feed and nib after swapping. The ebonite feeds are quite adaptable.

And thanks to Maccabeus for sharing your review (bit late i know). :)