The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Snot Forming In India Ink?

india ink

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny_J

Jonny_J

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 13:40

Hey all, been a while since I posted (been busy drawing cartoons!) Anyhoo... I have a small shallow jar that I use as an inkwell for Speedball Super Black India ink. It's deep enough to dip a nib into, and wide enough not to tip. When ink has been in there for a couple of weeks, snot congeals on the bottom, viscous enough to stick to the tip of the nib & get lifted out of the jar. What is that? Is that the shellac in the ink congealing? Alcohol seems to re-dissolve it. Is there any way to prevent it from forming? Is the air space in the jar to blame? Do I need to worry about the same thing happening inside the big squeeze bottle when it gets airspace in it?

TIA,

-Jonny

Edited by Jonny_J, 26 March 2016 - 13:41.

Sponsored Content

#2 majolo

majolo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 21:49

I've had this happen, same ink. I was kind of horrified as I'd been dipping my good sable brush in it. :(

I don't have any suggestions, but I will be watching this thread! The alcohol tip is good to hear--was it rubbing alcohol or what?

#3 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 22:23

Cheap vodka. ;)

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#4 Jonny_J

Jonny_J

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 22:25

I used 90% isopropyl alcohol. I've been told that denatured alcohol is better to use because it causes less bleeding, but this is such a thick tar-like ink, I don't notice any ill effects from the isopropyl, and it's what I had lying around. I bet cheap vodka would probably be OK too.

#5 Flaxmoore

Flaxmoore

Phys-ink-cian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:57

Cheap vodka. ;)

Everclear. 95% pure EtOH.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

#6 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:00

Okay, we have two types of stuff - SLIME / MOLD - or the gel stuff that is in inks.  The second is not dangerous, they break back into solution with additional water, alcohol or vigorous shaking. The first (mold) is nasty.

hydrobeads-display-befor-after-lg.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:06

OH, and sable brushes seem to be great carriers of mold/slime/stuff for ink, though not for paint.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: india ink

Sponsored Content

|